PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Free Agency 2022 edition

That front 7 overall still looks solid...Hicks signing could backfire though he hasn't been healthy the past 3 seasons.

I would agree that LB is solid for them. However, their front 4 is not that impressive. Besides Vea, it's nothing to write home about.

Last edited:
This should pick up FAcy signings a/o trades. Jun-2 cap space increases:

LVR: $19.75M
TEN: $9.5M
WFT: $11.88M
DAL: $10M
ARI: $10M
CLE: $9.5M
CHI: $8.19M
PHI: $5.3M
SEA: $5.1M

This should pick up FAcy signings a/o trades. Jun-2 cap space increases:

LVR: $19.75M
TEN: $9.5M
WFT: $11.88M
DAL: $10M
ARI: $10M
CLE: $9.5M
CHI: $8.19M
PHI: $5.3M
SEA: $5.1M

These teams are just pushing cap money into the future. We could do the same by restructuring Judon and Henry gaining $10.6M.

These teams are just pushing cap money into the future. We could do the same by restructuring Judon and Henry gaining $10.6M.
These are post June 1st designated cuts that allow dead money to be spread into next year. Not the same at all since those players are gone.

These are post June 1st designated cuts that allow dead money to be spread into next year. Not the same at all since those players are gone.

I am confused. Whether a player is active or inactive (including being cut), the cap hit is the same. For example, the cap hit is in one year, or spread in some fashion over two years. The Post June 1 allows the 2022 cuts to spread the cap hit into 2023, but restructuring active players to spread their cap hit into 2023 affects the Cap the same. The Cap does not care if a player is active or inactive.

I am confused. Whether a player is active or inactive (including being cut), the cap hit is the same. For example, the cap hit is in one year, or spread in some fashion over two years. The Post June 1 allows the 2022 cuts to spread the cap hit into 2023, but restructuring active players to spread their cap hit into 2023 affects the Cap the same. The Cap does not care if a player is active or inactive.
I mean for the purposes of the cap, yes, since they both shift $$ into the future. But for a cap strapped team that's already cut a player, it makes sense to shift a portion of what's in effect dead money ($$ already paid) into the future since the player isn't there to contribute anyway. Those teams probably already received a cap savings for cutting those players but couldn't realize the dead cap savings until June 2nd. A restructure can happen at any time (pre or post Jun 1st) and the effect is the same.

In a restructure, you're basically shifting a player's 2022 salary into 2023 (as prorated bonus). That requires the Owner to come up with the $$ upfront instead of allocating it on a weekly basis. A restructure is money not yet paid so that's the difference. I think.

Very surprised at all the retirements happening:
Stephon Tuitt
Alex Mack
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Frank Gore
Sam Koch (May 16)

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe