PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell compares Dobson to Larry Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozymandias

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Cosell is a big fan of the Patriots’ next pick, WR Aaron Dobson (6-3, 203 pounds), taken in the second round (59th overall). Cosell made a comparison that he knows could sound blasphemous, but underscores what he thinks of Dobson.

“This is going to sound crazy, but I thought that his size/hand combination, at times, reminded me of Larry Fitzgerald,” Cosell said. “He’s not Larry Fitzgerald, obviously, but he’s a big kid who can move very well with really good hands.”

Dobson isn’t known as a speedster, but ran a respectable 4.42 in the 40 at his Pro Day, and benefits from having a “long stride,” Cosell said.

“Tall kids end up being faster than you think, regardless of their 40 time, because of their stride length,” he said. “Overall an excellent combination of size, fluid movement and hands.”
If Aaron can even be half the receiver that Larry is, the Patriots will have hit the jackpot.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2013/05/film_study_nfl.html

From Cosell's mouth to god's ears...

If that were the case, I'd be happier than a camel on Wednesday.

I told people this, they just don't realize what we have here this season is something special. I've been following this guy and he has every single tool and talent that you can ask for in a wide receiver. It's a reason why he has been boasted as the best out of Marshall since Randy Moss. He has the intelligence, size, strength, speed (yes, his 40 time for his size is very good, and his game speed is even faster according to college defenders), route running, youth, jumps, athleticism, physicality and excellent set of hands.

I've been fairly bullish on this draft overall, but man I think I just soiled myself.

Before anyone posts something to the effect of "LOL he's no Larry Fitzgerald, that's crazy" (because we all know someone will) - go back and read the quote. Saying that a player reminds you of someone else isn't the same as saying you expect him to be as good as that other guy.

Just a pet peeve - I hate how topics like this always get derailed by misunderstandings of the initial claim.

If Dobson can be half (OK, 3/4) the player and 90% the professional LFitz is, I'll take that.

Good read by the new Globe guy. Cosell seems high on the Rutgers DBs and not so much on Boyce. Had good words on Beauharnais, but nothing on Buchanan, whom I find relatively intriguing for a seventh rounder.

If Dobson can be half (OK, 3/4) the player and 90% the professional LFitz is, I'll take that.

Good read by the new Globe guy. Cosell seems high on the Rutgers DBs and not so much on Boyce. Had good words on Beauharnais, but nothing on Buchanan, whom I find relatively intriguing for a seventh rounder.

Yeah...seems to be pretty high on Logan Ryan.

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited for this year's squad. Moreso than I've been in a while (mostly because the defense may finally be coming together).

Before anyone posts something to the effect of "LOL he's no Larry Fitzgerald, that's crazy" (because we all know someone will) - go back and read the quote. Saying that a player reminds you of someone else isn't the same as saying you expect him to be as good as that other guy.

Just a pet peeve - I hate how topics like this always get derailed by misunderstandings of the initial claim.

I just hope some how it does not turn into a Welker thread

Anyone else find it weird that Harrison's 4.46 40 time was listed as a 'tremendous' measurable, while Dobson's 4.42 was merely 'respectable'?

Anyone else find it weird that Harrison's 4.46 40 time was listed as a 'tremendous' measurable, while Dobson's 4.42 was merely 'respectable'?

Is that you in the comments section? :p

Media inconsistencies. Or Dobson was expected to run quicker?

Same inconsistencies with TJ Moe/Josh Boyce - Moe is 5'11" 204lbs, Boyce is 5'11" 203lbs but Moe is labelled "too small" to play outside and is just a slot receiver but Boyce is "big enough" to play outside! Or the media just continue to show the same type of stereotyping with height as they do with buzz words like "blue collar" and "gifted athlete"

YES! I absolutely cannot understand why they say Dobson doesn't have the "speed to stretch the field", or "he's not a stretch-the-field kind of guy", but then go on to rave about Mark Harrison's measurables. I simply don't get it.

Percy Harvin "only" ran a 4.41 at the combine for god sake!

tumblr_m2wsi684Tu1rq4no1o1_r1_400.gif

He can have the best physical tools in the history of the league. If he doesn't understand the Ehrhardt-Perkins offense and can't get on the same page as Brady, it won't matter. If he CAN, he could be scary good.

Have you heard of buttah face...well in this case ..its buttah fingers

Well let's remember that part of that has to do with weight as well. When you have two athletes with similar height but different weight, and they run in the same ballpark then the athlete with more weight on them would be considered more "explosive".

Harrison has about 30 more pounds on him than Dobson thus, in the eyes of many he would be considered the more explosive athlete. A 4.42 40 is more than respectable for someone who weighs 205 lbs, nonetheless, and should be more than enough to work in the vertical passing game.

I told people this, they just don't realize what we have here this season is something special. I've been following this guy and he has every single tool and talent that you can ask for in a wide receiver. It's a reason why he has been boasted as the best out of Marshall since Randy Moss. He has the intelligence, size, strength, speed (yes, his 40 time for his size is very good, and his game speed is even faster according to college defenders), route running, youth, jumps, athleticism, physicality and excellent set of hands.

I've heard this comparison to Fitzgerald before. Others have compared to Sidney Rice. I'd be happy with either, though with Brady as his QB in a passing offense, I think he'll do better than Rice. There is no denying Dobson's talent. I think the ONLY concerns were the lack of production in college. Though I think that has as much to do with his QB's on college, than his talents.

guy has yet to play a down in the NFL...lets slow it down a bit here

You do realize that when Fitzgerald was coming into the league HE was being compared to current players at the time. It's just part of fandom and media conjecture. It's going to happen whether Dobson's played a down in the NFL or not. It's actually quite the complement to be compared to the greats of the game. I remember Fitzgerald coming into the league, and people were saying he's a big possession receiver. I think he didn't run a fast 40, but man, in the Super Bowl when he scored the go ahead TD prior to Pittsburgh's comeback, he sure looked really fast. Shows you 40's don't always equate football speed.
Superbowl 43 Arizona Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald - runs ball for a 55 yard Touchdown. - YouTube

See post #6. Literally every player with an ounce of potential is compared to current pros. Nobody is claiming that Dobson is going to be as good as the guys that he's being compared to. That's obvious an unknown: everyone knows that, and it doesn't require repeating. It's still a conversation worth having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes