PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL executive: 'Lamar-for-Tua trade makes sense'

Oh it does work and will continue to work. Teams that go that route will just need to re-think their "franchise QB" definition. They'll need to keep their RB/QB pipeline flowing so that they can replace their RB/QB every 7 years or so. For those teams, gone are the days of "find your franchise QB and pencil him in for 15 years."
Lamar entering year # 6 and he has 1 post season win his name.

If the RB/QB is so good then why wont Baltimore pay him?

If I am the ravens I only trade him to NFC.
Lamar for Justin Fields and a first rounder is fair.

Imagine thinking Lamar has had a "good" WR corp in Baltimore when it's been bottom 5-10 for years. It's one thing to not like someone but no need to make things up. Honestly that statement shows you're either a casual fan or you're making stuff up.

Anytime he's brought up here it's painful to read.

The guy has his flaws but Baltimore has completely failed to build around him. That offense stopped evolving 2 years ago which is a theme for GR. Least amount of money spent on WR's. Like when you're pointing to Hollywood Brown as an example, your argument just fell apart. Hollywood Brown lol. OL has regressed each year since his MVP season and they've had no running game besides him.

You put him in even a good situation and he'll be back in the MVP discussion.

It's 2023. No need to make things up about people you don't know but watch for entertainment. It's weird.

theoretically, i agree... but its not costing Baltimore to squat on his rights... as long as he's slapped with the exclusive tag, he's got no where to turn and no real leverage to force himself out of charm city...

so the ravens lose a few draft picks by not trading him... go sign Jimmy G, keep their current back up so when he gets hurt, they are covered... squat on Lamar until he's ready to play ball... bonus is the potential savings of 200-250 million guaranteed dollars they would need to fund, based on the contract he's rumored to be looking for...
The salary cap takes a hit the moment the tag is applied. . . .

Not true other than Marquise Brown.
Demarcus Robinson and DeSean Jackson have produced, you don't survive that long in the NFL if you can't play. Robinson is a big possession receiver, not electric but consistent with sure hands. Jackson is a field stretcher.

Devin Duvernay and Rashod Bateman are athletic talents who would probably thrive with an actual passer assuming health. He has it right now, oh yeah, also has Andrews... and he's still not a pocket passer. They pass less than anyone for a reason.

Lamary is a sucker bet...always has been...but keep sticking your pinheads up his azz every chance you get
It's strange how good so many fans think LJ is as a QB. He's a fantastic runner but not much of a passer. He also misses games.
If there was a Tua-Lamar trade both teams would be using their backup QBs in two shakes of a lambs tail.

The guy has his flaws but Baltimore has completely failed to build around him. That offense stopped evolving 2 years ago which is a theme for GR. Least amount of money spent on WR's. Like when you're pointing to Hollywood Brown as an example, your argument just fell apart. Hollywood Brown lol. OL has regressed each year since his MVP season and they've had no running game besides him.

You put him in even a good situation and he'll be back in the MVP discussion.

It's 2023. No need to make things up about people you don't know but watch for entertainment. It's weird.
I'm not sure whether to "like" or disagree with this one, BGC.

NO you are wrong, Baltimore completely redesigned their offense to accommodate Jackson's skill set. It was BRILLIANT and he rode that offense to an MVP season.

YES you are right that the offense stopped evolving and defenses started to catch up with it.

But as it has been documented, he still misses a lot of throws, He has ended the last 2 seasons on the IR. He STILL has only 1 playoff win. I DO not understand how ANY owner in his right mind would take that resume and give him $40MM/yr FULLY guaranteed.

He's a great talent. He's a joy to watch....when he's on the field. He's reportedly a good guy, but in my mind the guy needs to get a grasp on reality. I would have no problem with paying him top 5 QB money, but only if at least half that money was guaranteed based on games played. But it would be Cap suicide to guarantee it all.

And as for the Tua for Jackson trade nonsense, it is dumber than Mac trade rumor, and THAT is hard to do.

Three concussions in one year doesn't happen very often at all. And Tua has never really had a good game against the Patriots. The Dolphins have won despite Tua in several cases against the Patriots.

Put Mac Jones in the Miami offense though and I think he does just as well or possibly better than Tua. Tua is more mobile, but Jones is more accurate of a passer and would excel in an offense that is designed to get Hill and Waddle the ball quickly and let them do damage after the catch. Hill and Waddle combined had over 1,000 YAC.
Tua was extremely accurate last year and while healthy was a top 3 qb before he faded at end due to injury. If healthy, i think he is better than Lamar

Tua was extremely accurate last year and while healthy was a top 3 qb before he faded at end due to injury. If healthy, i think he is better than Lamar

Tua had a lower completion percentage in 2022 than he did in 2021 and lower completion percentage than Mac Jones had either of his two seasons. Tua wasn't nearly as accurate as you think and he wasn't a top 3 QB when healthy. And if Tua was elite, I think Mac Jones could be elite in Miami's offense.

Again,after the 2021 season, people were talking about Tua being cut or traded even before we found out that the Dolphins were trying to Brady and ultimately cut or trade Tua.

If healthy, with Hill and Waddle, McDaniel, and the Dolphins o-line, he might be better than Lamar in the Ravens' offense with his receivers and o-line, but Tua is a product of the players and system around him. He is the textbook case that you can take an average QB and make him look great if you build an offense around him with two #1 receivers and a system designed to make him look good.

I'm not sure whether to "like" or disagree with this one, BGC.

NO you are wrong, Baltimore completely redesigned their offense to accommodate Jackson's skill set. It was BRILLIANT and he rode that offense to an MVP season.
No I'm 10000% right Ken. You're thinking of something else. Sure they redesigned their offense but they completely failed to build a legit contender around him. They spend the least the WR position and most here couldn't name their top 4 guys. Even when they had Brown he was prone to big drops like Andrews. That OL and running game has also regressed since his MVP year.

So yea they changed their offense but failed to put or develop pieces in place for a championship. And yes that offense is stale but that's Roman's MO.

Sure he misses passes but so does Josh Allen, Hurts, Herbert. All those guys have help though and their "misses" aren't noticed as much when your next play is to Devonta Smith or AJ Brown.

Baltimore has completely blown their opportunity and now have to prove they can build a contender while paying a QB top money. If I'm Jackson I want out and try it again with another team.

No I'm 10000% right Ken. You're thinking of something else. Sure they redesigned their offense but they completely failed to build a legit contender around him. They spend the least the WR position and most here couldn't name their top 4 guys. Even when they had Brown he was prone to big drops like Andrews. That OL and running game has also regressed since his MVP year.

So yea they changed their offense but failed to put or develop pieces in place for a championship. And yes that offense is stale but that's Roman's MO.

Sure he misses passes but so does Josh Allen, Hurts, Herbert. All those guys have help though and their "misses" aren't noticed as much when your next play is to Devonta Smith or AJ Brown.

Baltimore has completely blown their opportunity and now have to prove they can build a contender while paying a QB top money. If I'm Jackson I want out and try it again with another team.
OK then. Quick question. Would YOU pay him top 5 QB money FULLY guaranteed?

The concern with Lamar, is the same concern with Hurts. Their playing style and production is very dependent on their run threat.
NOT saying they can't pass as well as everyone else, but the intrigue and impact is that dual-threat punch.
But, like both Lamar & Tua are showing is that they could break down quicker, and may not be worth a 10-year commitment.
Even look at Josh Allen - he took a beating last year too. Exec's have to realize that a great dual-threat QB works for 5-7 years, but name one that's lasted a 10+ year career.

The concern with Lamar, is the same concern with Hurts. Their playing style and production is very dependent on their run threat.
NOT saying they can't pass as well as everyone else, but the intrigue and impact is that dual-threat punch.
But, like both Lamar & Tua are showing is that they could break down quicker, and may not be worth a 10-year commitment.
Even look at Josh Allen - he took a beating last year too. Exec's have to realize that a great dual-threat QB works for 5-7 years, but name one that's lasted a 10+ year career.

The thing is you cannot even say if Tua will make it beyond next year. Many players when they get multiple concussions in a short period of time just keep getting them. And Tua being so small for a Qb seems to get ragdolled a bit when sacked.

Whether or not Tua is a good QB or not, his health and injury history would make me not want to invest in him longer than short term.

Mike Vick's career resurgence in Philly is the one example where I can point to a mobile QB having later career success.

If I am the ravens I only trade him to NFC.
Lamar for Justin Fields and a first rounder is fair.
you'd give up the number one overall pick in the draft for Lamar Jackson, and call it fair? oof...

I can’t imagine anyone trading for Tua, he’s a hit away from his playing career being over. I think he would be wise to quit playing and start a coaching career now. I don’t see the Ravens trading Jackson within the AFC. I could see a trade with the Lions on Draft day if a QB they really want drops to #6. Then make a trade for Goff and a guy like Levi’s at #6 if he’s still there.

I can’t imagine anyone trading for Tua, he’s a hit away from his playing career being over. I think he would be wise to quit playing and start a coaching career now. I don’t see the Ravens trading Jackson within the AFC. I could see a trade with the Lions on Draft day if a QB they really want drops to #6. Then make a trade for Goff and a guy like Levi’s at #6 if he’s still there.
I don't follow the Lions much beyond the game we played against them, but it seems like they need help with their defense, not their QB/offense.

I don't follow the Lions much beyond the game we played against them, but it seems like they need help with their defense, not their QB/offense.

I don’t disagree with that, but I don’t think they see Goff as their long term QB, and a #6 to get a young QB, as well as Goff to start while he develops would work well for Baltimore.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back