PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL draft day is just like Christmas morning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasmir

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
...except you almost never get the presents you want!

I'm always amused that the enormous annual build up of anticipation for the draft is generally followed here by an equal an opposite venting of frustration and disappointment, as fans' draft boards prove to be poorly correlated with that of the team's.

I suspect that the less we try and guess the specific outcome, the more fun the draft experience is. Personally, I find researching the players *after* they are picked the most enjoyable part of the draft. At least that way the disappointment generally doesn't start until training camp :D

Last edited:

I'm always amused that the enormous annual build up of anticipation for the draft is generally followed here by an equal an opposite venting of frustration and disappointment, as fans' draft boards prove to be poorly correlated with that of the team's.

I suspect that the less we try and guess the specific outcome, the more fun the draft experience is. Personally, I find researching the players *after* they are picked the most enjoyable part of the draft. At least that way the disappointment generally doesn't start until training camp :D

When i was a kid i never got what i wanted, so nothing has changed.

That being said, it's never straight forward. There will be many youtube searches to be had, and a few trades no doubt. Good times.

For me Thursday is "Christmas Eve" where you get to open the one nice gift.

Christmas is Friday with all those 2nd rounders.

Wow..."Christmas!"...really?...you guys are a lot more into this than I am...well, maybe it would be Christmas if you're Bob Kraft but then it would be Hanukkah...hold on, that's a three day Hanukkah, not eight...

anyway, enjoy...i'll follow it a little less closely and hope that of eight or so picks, after trades, that we end up with three or four players who can contribute for several years...

I am going to be really pi$$ed off if after waiting all day BB decides to trade out of the first round, especially if it's for the next patrick chung.

If the draft is like Christmas, then the last few years, I've gotten nothing but CLOTHES!!!

Yeah its like wanting a luke skywalker action figure but with the Patriots drafts recently you end up getting the lame r2d2 action figure :(.

Plus the format this yera is horrid I used to have a party for the draft now Im lucky to be awake when the pats pick..lame.

Hmm.. I don't see Jesus on the board.

Wow..."Christmas!"...really?...you guys are a lot more into this than I am...well, maybe it would be Christmas if you're Bob Kraft but then it would be Hanukkah...hold on, that's a three day Hanukkah, not eight...

anyway, enjoy...i'll follow it a little less closely and hope that of eight or so picks, after trades, that we end up with three or four players who can contribute for several years...

Yeah, NFL draft is like Christmas for draftniks... It is for me.

Yeah its like wanting a luke skywalker action figure but with the Patriots drafts recently you end up getting the lame r2d2 action figure :(.

Plus the format this yera is horrid I used to have a party for the draft now Im lucky to be awake when the pats pick..lame.

Could be worse, it'll be like 3am here when the Pats pick. Thats if we pick in the first....

Any UK fans staying up to watch it on ESPN? Didn't think so either :D

For me all the research isn't just to figure out who I would like on the Pats but because I am not huge into college ball it is for me to learn the new players entering the league. Also I have been right on a few guys in the past decade including Chung last year and Warren which was really cool as we traded up for a guy I wanted.

FreeTedWilliams said:
If the draft is like Christmas, then the last few years, I've gotten nothing but CLOTHES!!!

Really because I would consider a Starting MLB and potentially two starters one at LT and one at CB to be more like the Nintendo I got when I was 8.

Could be worse, it'll be like 3am here when the Pats pick. Thats if we pick in the first....

I didn't even realise it was on ESPN, all I knew was that Sky weren't showing it. Shame I don't have Sky in my new place, let alone ESPN :(

But in answer to your question, yeah I'll be staying up. I expect I'll be streaming it though.

I'm from Europe; I'll put my alarm half an hour before the pats are going to pick. Nailbiting 30 mins later the pats will have traded out of the first round and I'll go happily back to bed without a first-round choice, knowing that I have to wake up like 2 hours later!:singing:

:bricks:

My parents never decided to give up on a Christmas because there were no gifts worth the money, and forward their gift to the next year. Let's hope, that the one year Im actually watching the draft @ a draft party, that Belichick doesn't either.

Last edited:

What tempers things for me even further is how many of our first-rounders have fared -- players like Ben Watson, for example. He was going to be Superman at tight end.

I'm from Europe; I'll put my alarm half an hour before the pats are going to pick. Nailbiting 30 mins later the pats will have traded out of the first round and I'll go happily back to bed without a first-round choice, knowing that I have to wake up like 2 hours later!:singing:

Then you find out we traded up for Suh :cool:

What tempers things for me even further is how many of our first-rounders have fared -- players like Ben Watson, for example. He was going to be Superman at tight end.

You should see how first rounders fair on some other teams before complaining about how Watson Fared. Guys like Gholston, Ginn, Russell, Bey, and many many others.

IMO where BB seperated himself as a good drafter from the rest of the pack is how he virtually never busts in the first RD (that and finding Tom in the 6th). Sure some guys haven't lived up to the hype they came in with but just about every first rounder in BBs career with the Pats has contributed a decent amount.

Last edited:
It really is like Christmas morning for me over in England. I've set the DVR so I can wake up on Friday morning and watch to find out who Santa Bill has brought for me :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents