PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL considering going back to original sudden death OT

The world needs this to happen. The current rules blow, and the Ravens' suggestions are even worse.

I'm good with anything as long as they don't move towards the completely ridiculous college rules. I'm still trying to get over the LSU game vs. Texas A&M in 2018. The game was tied 31-31 and after SEVEN OVERTIMES where 84 total points were scored, LSU loses 74-72.

Feels like it's overthinking things adding gimmicks and complexity to solve a problem of "fairness" that doesn't exist imo. Let's face it we all know why this even came up for discussion.

There's still going to be a coin toss with this proposal. And unless a team has a historically great defense why wouldn't any team in this era choose offense every time?
Few offenses are going to choose to take the ball in sudden death if the start position is their own 2 yard line.

I'm good with anything as long as they don't move towards the completely ridiculous college rules. I'm still trying to get over the LSU game vs. Texas A&M in 2018. The game was tied 31-31 and after SEVEN OVERTIMES where 84 total points were scored, LSU loses 74-72.
There are still people in this world who want to see that nonsense brought into the NFL.

They should also go back to the two BYE teams. That should have never been changed but now with the extra wildcard spot it’s difficult.

They should also go back to the two BYE teams. That should have never been changed but now with the extra wildcard spot it’s difficult.

They should immediately get rid of the extra wildcard. It's nothing but a money grab, and it doesn't make the game better.

Then again, they shouldn't be adding games to the season anyway, but money won out with that, as well.

Few offenses are going to choose to take the ball in sudden death if the start position is their own 2 yard line.
I guess we'll see. I can see some teams like the Chiefs taking the ball no matter what.

I just don't see this "unfairness" that they're trying to fix with these gimmicks. Read a stat that the winner of the coin toss wins 52% of the time. That's not really that lopsided.

"WE'D be less angry at the rules"... lol. And there it is.

That is absolutely 100% without a doubt what this is all about. The Patriots benefited = bad. Another team benefits = good.

Last edited:
Always felt like...just get rid of the coin toss. Home team gets to receive. Boom. **** you and your away jerseys

All this because the Kansas City defense couldn't stop three third-and-longs. . . .

I guess we'll see. I can see some teams like the Chiefs taking the ball no matter what.

I just don't see this "unfairness" that they're trying to fix with these gimmicks. Read a stat that the winner of the coin toss wins 52% of the time. That's not really that lopsided.
"It's unfair the the Patriots won some games in overtime. As a result, we've got to revamp the entire system."

Bump it back to 15 minutes and I am fine going back to the old way.

Always felt like...just get rid of the coin toss. Home team gets to receive. Boom. **** you and your away jerseys
Each team sends out one champion for an arm-wrestling competition. Winner gets the ball.

Abc Participation Award GIF by Emmys

The best part of that game was the coach got a Gatorade bath in regulation but that play was called back. He wore Gatorade all throughout OT.

can they move the pat up 5yds since we have so many bad kickers?

Sounds like BB is in favor of that option - a half-quarter mini-game with no sudden death. Players won't like that and in a pandemic season I can't see that happening.
Is there any basis to the “players won’t like playing” belief? I think the majority of players would be perfectly fine playing a 5th quartet in a tie. Perhaps I missed it but I haven’t seen players coming out and saying finishing a tie game in ot is unacceptable. Ive only seen it from people trying to tell everyone what players are supposed to think.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back