PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL considering going back to original sudden death OT

Sudden death OT may be a result of players being asked to play 17 games. Makes sense to reduce the time of OT.

Florio had the best idea a few years ago: let the teams continue playing from the end of 4th quarter into overtime. Don’t reset field position or have a coin toss. Now late 4th quarter strategy is the determining factor of who has the ball and where. Also, you’d get more teams going for 2, trying to win, in the final minutes of regulation, so there would be fewer overtimes.

Florio had the best idea a few years ago: let the teams continue playing from the end of 4th quarter into overtime. Don’t reset field position or have a coin toss. Now late 4th quarter strategy is the determining factor of who has the ball and where. Also, you’d get more teams going for 2, trying to win, in the final minutes of regulation, so there would be fewer overtimes.
For how long? Players are gassed at end of 4th qtr. They now have to play 17th game. Imagine having to play OT at that 17th game and being injured.

You could just eliminate OT all together to force teams going for 2 or end up in a tie.

For how long? Players are gassed at end of 4th qtr. They now have to play 17th game. Imagine having to play OT at that 17th game and being injured.

You only play OT if the game is tied. More often in this case, OT is just a continuation of the game winning drive.

You only play OT if the game is tied. More often in this case, OT is just a continuation of the game winning drive.
There were a lot of OT games this past season.

Edit: there were 10. I think the most was 20 one year.

Last edited:
There were a lot of OT games this past season.

These guys make over 100K per game, minimum. They can play an extra 20 snaps per season.

They agreed in the new CBA to 17 games and another playoff game. It’s always about the money for them. That’s fine. As a fan, it’s about the entertainment to me. They’re just *****ing because they don’t get an extra bonus for an extra 1% of labor.

These guys make over 100K per game, minimum. They can play an extra 20 snaps per season.

They agreed in the new CBA to 17 games and another playoff game. It’s always about the money for them. That’s fine. As a fan, it’s about the entertainment to me. They’re just *****ing because they don’t get an extra bonus for an extra 1% of labor.
Not all players agreed with CBA. It's about safety for these guys too. I get that you want to watch the most carnage possible from your couch, but concussions and career ending injuries aren't a joke to these guys.

I think the issue with OT is after going 100% for 60 minutes, the odds of injuries are increased during OT. I have no idea what the stats show on that but it makes sense.

Could they just not have overtime during the regular season? Or would too many ties make the games less satisfying? I'd bet coaches would call the game differently in the waning minutes if OT wasn't an option.

Could they just not have overtime during the regular season? Or would too many ties make the games less satisfying? I'd bet coaches would call the game differently in the waning minutes if OT wasn't an option.
I am coming around to this notion. The formula is already set for ties to it is not an issue. I think take OT off the table altogether in the regular season. I think it is the most fair and also will keep the players fresh and less injured which is the main goal of the ultimate attrition sport.

Why not just continue the game until there is a score? No clock after the 4th, no extra time-outs, no coin toss, just play it where is! Could add some more strategy to the game as well.

Why not just continue the game until there is a score? No clock after the 4th, no extra time-outs, no coin toss, just play it where is! Could add some more strategy to the game as well.
It think that is worse than just allowing the game to end in a tie.

Consider the case now where a team gets the ball around its own 20 with the game tied. Its an exciting situation as the team tries to quickly drive down the field for a score.

With your scenario they have all the time in the world, as if the regulation runs out the game just continues.

Intuitively I think the end of the game should mean something.

Between 1974-2011(38 seasons) 494 OT games, 13/season
Between 2012-2016(5 seasons) 83 OT games, 16.6/season
Between 2017-2020(4 seasons) 48 OT games, 12/season

I think have 12-16 ties per season is acceptable. It would be funny if one team end up with multiple ties in a season.

Screw 'em all....................No OT

Play the 60 minutes to win / treat the 4th quarter as do or die
The "just take a knee and try to win it in overtime" mentality is weak and we know BB agrees
Force teams to deal with the consequences of having a tie or two or three on their records if their head coaches choose to be ****s

The NFL should have the guts to create different rules for the regular season and the postseason. Right now the only change to OT for the postseason is the timing; they play 15 minute periods like starting a new game until someone wins instead of simply a 10 minute period which can end in a tie.

So make it sudden death for the regular season games (which are important but obviously not as important) and equal possessions for postseason (and note I didn't say "equal possessions unless the first team scores a TD").

I think have 12-16 ties per season is acceptable. It would be funny if one team end up with multiple ties in a season.
From what I recall, PHI always seemed to have an advantage in the NFCE race because of their tie.

I think it would still be sudden death in that case. Just you don't reset at the end of the 4th if they're tied, so teams would have to strategize their end of game plans with that in mind.

1967 two teams, colts and rams ended season with identical records in the coastal division, 11-1-2. Colts one loss was to the rams, so they missed the playoffs.
and in the same year, the redskins and Vikings had 3 ties each, and the lions had 2 ties....

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back