PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL Conference Championship Game Thread

49ers did a major faceplant yesterday. Just a complete debacle with the quarterback situation. A team like that should not be depending on the likes of Garoppolo, Purdy and Josh Johnson ever again. I don't think the Eagles were even that great, especially Hurts, but it didn't matter because the 49ers played most of the game with essentially no quarterback. And despite what some people say, the quarterback is by far the most important position of a team, so even a "great team" like the 49ers are helpless without a quarterback.

I think Purdy was/is fine. But they should not have relied on Josh Johnson as their backup. They should have signed someone else for that role.

I think Purdy was/is fine. But they should not have relied on Josh Johnson as their backup. They should have signed someone else for that role.
I think Philly would've won the game even with a healthy Purdy. They were getting constant pressure with 4

I think Philly would've won the game even with a healthy Purdy. They were getting constant pressure with 4

i agree but the eagles would have won 31-24 or something. the Niners issue for 2023 is building an offensive line to match Phill’s D-line.

i agree but the eagles would have won 31-24 or something. the Niners issue for 2023 is building an offensive line to match Phill’s D-line.
And philly has number 10 in this year's draft. So another playmaker on defense. Philly can make it 2 years in a row . Thats the level of talent. Doug pederson really set it up for them in draft.

49ers did a major faceplant yesterday. Just a complete debacle with the quarterback situation. A team like that should not be depending on the likes of Garoppolo, Purdy and Josh Johnson ever again. I don't think the Eagles were even that great, especially Hurts, but it didn't matter because the 49ers played most of the game with essentially no quarterback. And despite what some people say, the quarterback is by far the most important position of a team, so even a "great team" like the 49ers are helpless without a quarterback.

As for the AFCCG, Burrow missed out on his opportunity to overtake Mahomes as the league's top quarterback. For now, Mahomes has solidified that spot even further (although his unforced fumbled made the game close). There's a lot to be said for this game but I'll just go with two items: 1) the officiating was grossly in favor of the Chiefs and 2) Joseph Ossai is a complete moron.

One more comment on the importance of the quarterback debate. The best QB in the NFL over the last 5 seasons has been Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs have played in 5 straight conference championship games with 3 Super Bowl appearances. Not a coincidence (@Wozzy).
Purdy wasn’t the issue for them. The injury was unfortunate but could happen to anyone. Obviously having to rely on a 36 year old journeyman who floats around practice squads will sink you every time.

Which if you’re either in on Purdy or bring in Brady for a year, go get some picks back for Trey Lance. Would go a long way.

Obviously having to rely on a 36 year old journeyman who floats around practice squads will sink you every time.
... as we found out with Hoyer, who is actually 37.

Purdy wasn’t the issue for them. The injury was unfortunate but could happen to anyone. Obviously having to rely on a 36 year old journeyman who floats around practice squads will sink you every time.
Maybe I'm being unfair but I question Purdy's toughness. He immediately checked out of the biggest game of his life. Then when forced back onto the field he didn't even try at all. He was throwing warmup tosses on the sideline yet once he was back in the game he could only handoff. I thought it looked pathetic. Especially with Mahomes running around on one foot in the next game. Brady won a Super Bowl at age 43 with a torn MCL.

Maybe I'm being unfair but I question Purdy's toughness. He immediately checked out of the biggest game of his life. Then when forced back onto the field he didn't even try at all. He was throwing warmup tosses on the sideline yet once he was back in the game he could only handoff. I thought it looked pathetic. Especially with Mahomes running around on one foot in the next game. Brady won a Super Bowl at age 43 with a torn MCL.
Reports here in the Bay Area are saying he got a UCL tear and may need surgery so he couldn't throw man lol

Reports here in the Bay Area are saying he got a UCL tear and may need surgery so he couldn't throw man lol
He was literally throwing on the sideline.

I'm not sold on Purdy. He did nothing in the divisional and then yesterday happened. Completely agree with you regarding Josh Johnson but they were down to their fourth quarterback by that point. Their first mistake was relying on the hopelessly injury prone Garoppolo behind Lance.

I mean throw past 5 yards
He didn't even look like he was in much pain. I get he was diminished but there was practically no effort to throw in the game. I though it was a bad look especially with Mahomes winning the next game on one leg.

He didn't even look like he was in much pain. I get he was diminished but there was practically no effort to throw in the game. I though it was a bad look especially with Mahomes winning the next game on one leg.
Mahomes is fine.

He said he couldn't throw the ball more than 5-10 yards. It's stupid to think Purdy wasn't man enough to tough it out.
Yeah I don't blame Purdy.
Most athletes tough it out if they can. He literally couldn't throw past 5-10 yards

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back