PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION NFL Conference Championship Game Thread

49ers did a major faceplant yesterday. Just a complete debacle with the quarterback situation. A team like that should not be depending on the likes of Garoppolo, Purdy and Josh Johnson ever again. I don't think the Eagles were even that great, especially Hurts, but it didn't matter because the 49ers played most of the game with essentially no quarterback. And despite what some people say, the quarterback is by far the most important position of a team, so even a "great team" like the 49ers are helpless without a quarterback.

As for the AFCCG, Burrow missed out on his opportunity to overtake Mahomes as the league's top quarterback. For now, Mahomes has solidified that spot even further (although his unforced fumbled made the game close). There's a lot to be said for this game but I'll just go with two items: 1) the officiating was grossly in favor of the Chiefs and 2) Joseph Ossai is a complete moron.

One more comment on the importance of the quarterback debate. The best QB in the NFL over the last 5 seasons has been Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs have played in 5 straight conference championship games with 3 Super Bowl appearances. Not a coincidence (@Wozzy).
Yeah Purdy wasn’t “clutch” enough, Alex Guerrero never would have let Tom’s elbow rupture… he would have rubbed a magic elven poultice on it.

You better readjust your rankings again and move Purdy (who wasn’t even there a month ago) back down and drop Burrow while you’re at it.

When a 4th round pick beats #1 QB Mahomes make sure to move Jalen Hurts up ahead of him like you’ve been doing all season… moving the goalposts based on team results.

The 49ers lost because the Eagle’s defensive front made the 49ers offensive line their btch… Philly was the better team and made fewer mistakes.

Moving the goalposts all year with this list. A popularity contest list by a QB fanboy isn’t a competency list.

Yeah Purdy wasn’t “clutch” enough, Alex Guerrero never would have let Tom’s elbow rupture… he would have rubbed a magic elven poultice on it.
I don't think Purdy's elbow "ruptured." That would require extensive reconstructive surgery of his elbow and knock him completely out of 2023.

You better readjust your rankings again and move Purdy (who wasn’t even there a month ago) back down and drop Burrow while you’re at it.
Purdy may slide down a little. We'll see.

Burrow didn't rise to the occasion. Let his opportunity to claim the top spot go by (even though the refs ****ed him). Mahomes is king of the QB mountain without question right now.

When a 4th round pick beats #1 QB Mahomes make sure to move Jalen Hurts up ahead of him like you’ve been doing all season… moving the goalposts based on team results.
Hurts is a 2nd round pick. Not 4th.

Hurts has a chance to be the first next generation running quarterback to win a Super Bowl. I'd love to see it so I can rev up my Lamar hype train for 2023. Fields too. And Allen, the best of that bunch, if he can clean up the turnovers (major IF), then he's got a near perfect season in him.

Moving the goalposts all year with this list. A popularity contest list by a QB fanboy isn’t a competency list.
I don't move the goalposts of the list. The criteria is clear. Obviously as results roll in, the rankings will be adjusted. That's how a rolling list works.

And? He's had an ankle injury since September and is now just getting back to normal. Over the course of his career Butker has proven to be very good. Last year he was 47 for 49 on XP and 7 of 9 on FGs over 50 yards.
So what you’re saying is that, even if he were completely healthy, there would’ve been a >20 percent chance at a different result/missed kick.

You do realize the Chiefs would have just kicked a 57 yarder if that penalty doesn't get called, ok? Butker is one of the best kickers in the business. The result would have been the same.

57 yards in cold conditions is far from a gimmie

Butker had one of his worst years this year

I don't think Purdy's elbow "ruptured." That would require extensive reconstructive surgery of his elbow and knock him completely out of 2023.
You don’t agree with the doctors that his tendon snapped, because you really want to push the narrative that he wasn’t high enough on your QB list and that’s why they lost… another laughably absurd take.
Purdy may slide down a little. We'll see.
Proving the arbitrary nature of said list.
Burrow didn't rise to the occasion. Let his opportunity to claim the top spot go by (even though the refs ****ed him). Mahomes is king of the QB mountain without question right now.
Burrow lost because 2/3rds of his starting offensive line got injured before the AFC Championship game and he got sacked five times and hit more… but you think it’s because Mahomes has more magical juice than Burrows. Laughable.
Hurts is a 2nd round pick. Not 4th.
Hurts started this season one spot outside the top ten on your list, now he’s at the very top because the Eagles team is incredible… so you’re going to give all the credit to Hurts because that’s what QB fanboys do.
Hurts has a chance to be the first next generation running quarterback to win a Super Bowl. I'd love to see it so I can rev up my Lamar hype train for 2023. Fields too. And Allen, the best of that bunch, if he can clean up the turnovers (major IF), then he's got a near perfect season in him.
Hurts completed 70% of his passes his final year in college, Jackson completed 59% of his passes… comparing the two is laughably misguided.

Jackson should be down near Mac Jones on your list if results mattered more than your opinion that BB screwed up by not drafting Jackson.
I don't move the goalposts of the list. The criteria is clear. Obviously as results roll in, the rankings will be adjusted. That's how a rolling list works.
Goalposts on wheels roll, especially when you attribute team success to magical unicorn QB’s.

You don’t agree with the doctors that his tendon snapped, because you really want to push the narrative that he wasn’t high enough on your QB list and that’s why they lost… another laughably absurd take.
I'm talking about the injury itself. To this point there's no indication he needs Tommy John surgery which would knock him out for 2023 and possibly threaten his career. What does that have to do with my QB rankings pre-injury?

Burrow lost because 2/3rds of his starting offensive line got injured before the AFC Championship game and he got sacked five times and hit more… but you think it’s because Mahomes has more magical juice than Burrows. Laughable.
Mahomes played better than Burrow. That's a fact. Burrow had a disappointing game. At least now the Burrow comparisons to Brady can stop. Ultimately the game tilted on a epically bad penalty by Ossai. But as I've said elsewhere, the Chiefs don't win that game without the highly favorable officiating.

Hurts started this season one spot outside the top ten on your list, now he’s at the very top because the Eagles team is incredible… so you’re going to give all the credit to Hurts because that’s what QB fanboys do.
Hurts won the NFCCG because the 49ers literally played half of the game with no quarterback. Hurts moved up my QB list because he was having an MVP caliber season until he got injured. He's been mostly garbage since returning. The only way I would consider moving him into the top 3 is if he has an epically spectacular Super Bowl performance, which probably will be needed for the Eagles to win. No f'ing chance the Eagles win that game with Hurts playing like ass.

Hurts completed 70% of his passes his final year in college, Jackson completed 59% of his passes… comparing the two is laughably misguided.

Jackson should be down near Mac Jones on your list if results mattered more than your opinion that BB screwed up by not drafting Jackson.
Don't get too crazy with your takes. Even you could not seriously take Mac over a healthy Lamar. I'm not even sold on Mac over Zappe.

I'm talking about the injury itself. To this point there's no indication he needs Tommy John surgery which would knock him out for 2023 and possibly threaten his career. What does that have to do with my QB rankings pre-injury?
You implied Brock Purdy is why they lost hahaha…. he got knocked out in the 1st quarter. That could happen to Brady (2008) Montana or anyone… he’s not “less than” because his blockers failed him. It’s an absurd take… real mouth breather type stuff.
Mahomes played better than Burrow. That's a fact. Burrow had a disappointing game. At least now the Burrow comparisons to Brady can stop. Ultimately the game tilted on a epically bad penalty by Ossai. But as I've said elsewhere, the Chiefs don't win that game without the highly favorable officiating.
Burrow got the snot kicked out of him, sacked 5 times. Mahomes got hit a little also, the difference is Cincinnati’s defensive front is amazing and the Chiefs isn’t. The Bengals offensive line was at 1/4 strength… you equate all of this ^ to one QB being better than the other.

The difference between Mahomes and Burrow is negligible, the difference is razor thin, you’d need a microscope to see the difference.

Why is Mahomes “better,” why is he still playing?

1) Andy Reid 2) his offensive line is stellar

Put Burrow, Herbert or any of the best QB’s in Mahomes situation and the results would be exactly the same.
Don't get too crazy with your takes. Even you could not seriously take Mac over a healthy Lamar. I'm not even sold on Mac over Zappe.
In a re-draft Lamar Jackson is completely off my board… the same thing I said in 2018. Nothing has changed. Lazyboy recliner GM Wozzy prioritizes passing and ball protection above all.

You do realize the Chiefs would have just kicked a 57 yarder if that penalty doesn't get called, ok? Butker is one of the best kickers in the business. The result would have been the same.
Yea, their kicker who has struggled throughout the year would've just casually nailed a 57 yarder to send them to the SB. Ok buddy.

Yea, their kicker who has struggled throughout the year would've just casually nailed a 57 yarder to send them to the SB. Ok buddy.

the kick he made from 42 yards hit the net

You implied Brock Purdy is why they lost hahaha…. he got knocked out in the 1st quarter. That could happen to Brady (2008) Montana or anyone… he’s not “less than” because his blockers failed him. It’s an absurd take… real mouth breather type stuff.
lol! Good take on the insult.

I don't recall blaming Purdy for the loss. My only question was if he's continuously throwing on the sideline then why wasn't he at least temping 5-10 yard passes in the game? He said after the game he could only throw 5-10 yard passes. What? Only on the sideline?

Burrow got the snot kicked out of him, sacked 5 times. Mahomes got hit a little also, the difference is Cincinnati’s defensive front is amazing and the Chiefs isn’t. The Bengals offensive line was at 1/4 strength… you equate all of this ^ to one QB being better than the other.

The difference between Mahomes and Burrow is negligible, the difference is razor thin, you’d need a microscope to see the difference.

Why is Mahomes “better,” why is he still playing?

1) Andy Reid 2) his offensive line is stellar

Put Burrow, Herbert or any of the best QB’s in Mahomes situation and the results would be exactly the same.
Put Mahomes with the Bengals WRs and he'll pass for 6000 yards and 60 TDs. Mahomes is better. And Burrow has an excellent coaching staff too.

But ultimately Mahomes is probably still playing because the refs jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon after Mahomes fumbled away the lead.

25 of the last 30 Super Bowl winning QBs were elite and/or had elite postseason performances. Just the facts.

In a re-draft Lamar Jackson is completely off my board… the same thing I said in 2018. Nothing has changed. Lazyboy recliner GM Wozzy prioritizes passing and ball protection above all.
"Off your board" is ridiculous. There are 32 teams in the NFL with 32 starting QBs. If we're redrafting every player in the league, you're telling me Lamar isn't worthy of 1 of 32??

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back