PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL 100 Greatest - Which Pats Will Make The List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This fall the NFL Network will have a 6 part series on the top 100 players and top 10 coaches ever. Bill Belichick is one of the co-hosts.

What Patriots will make the list? These are the very best of the best so it will be a tough list to crack.

My thoughts

Guaranteed

Brady
Belichick
Hannah

Likely

Gronk
Moss

Maybe

Vinatieri

I think your list is good.

I think Moss is a lock, whereas Gronkowski is likely but could possibly miss out due to a shorter career. Wouldn’t be shocking. There’s a lot of competition for an all-time list like this.

I’d add Revis if as a maybe if you consider him a Patriot; he did win a ring and first team all-pro.

Hoping Brady is #1. Top 3 likely to be Rice, Brown, Brady, in some order.

I'd say the list up there is realistic. No qualms here.

I’d add Revis if as a maybe if you consider him a Patriot; he did win a ring and first team all-pro.

Not bashing on you here by any means, but I don't understand why Revis gets more love than Law across the league. Law was a shutdown corner for longer and his stats are better. Revis had better marketing.

This fall the NFL Network will have a 6 part series on the top 100 players and top 10 coaches ever. Bill Belichick is one of the co-hosts.

What Patriots will make the list? These are the very best of the best so it will be a tough list to crack.

My thoughts

Guaranteed

Brady
Belichick
Hannah

Likely

Gronk
Moss

Maybe

Vinatieri
I'd put Tippett in the "maybe" category as well. Long shot w/ Brooks, Jackson, Hendricks, Ham, Bell and dozens more OLBs to choose from.

IMO in his prime Tip was a monster.

I'd say the list up there is realistic. No qualms here.

Not bashing on you here by any means, but I don't understand why Revis gets more love than Law across the league. Law was a shutdown corner for longer and his stats are better. Revis had better marketing.

I can understand making a case for Law over Revis, but I personally think Revis was more impressive. There was nothing else close to a shutdown cornerback during his peak; Law was great, but the idea having a blanket guy wasn’t that uncommon. Revis was far and away the best CB in football for a few years, with zero debate. With favorable passing rules and limited contact allowed, he was holding superstar receivers to 1-2 targets per game.

Revis doesn’t have the traditional stats because no one would throw near him.

It’s gonna be a hard list to crack, and certain positions like QB and RB will get a lot of love which will leave less for others. I’m not so sure Revis will make it.

I think your list is good.

I think Moss is a lock, whereas Gronkowski is likely but could possibly miss out due to a shorter career. Wouldn’t be shocking. There’s a lot of competition for an all-time list like this.

Hoping Brady is #1. Top 3 likely to be Rice, Brown, Brady, in some order.
I don’t think they’re being ranked in order, just 100 overall

Mike Haynes has a good chance to make it.

Curtis Martin

Haynes additionally

My thoughts

Guaranteed

Brady
Belichick
Hannah

Likely

Gronk
Moss

Maybe

Vinatieri
Si...i agree...all the 6 you mentioned...Adam included

No more no less imho

My thoughts

Guaranteed

Brady
Belichick
Hannah

Likely

Gronk
Moss

Maybe

Vinatieri
Good list. I don't know if there will be room for more than a kicker or 2 and Ray Guy. 20 QBs or more?

Not sure what the "rules" are for the top 100. If it is the 100 most important then there will be a disproportionately high number of QB's and very few if any special teams players.

Brady & BB should easily take the top spots
Hannah is likely top 30
Moss - top 40
Gronk - top 80

Curtis Martin
I doubt he makes it. RBs I see with a better shot

J. Brown
W. Payton
B. Sanders
E. Smith
E. ****erson
M. Allen
T. Dorsett
L. Tomlinson

J. Brown
W. Payton
B. Sanders
E. Smith
E. ****erson
M. Allen
T. Dorsett
L. Tomlinson

I wonder how many of the voters besides BB know anything about the first 50 years of the NFL. For example your RB list includes only 1 player who played before 1975. Will the Frank Giffords and Paul Hornugs of their positions get fair consideration in the voting?

Last edited:

J. Brown
W. Payton
B. Sanders
E. Smith
E. ****erson
M. Allen
T. Dorsett
L. Tomlinson

Martin is definitely borderline...

I wonder how many of the voters besides BB know anything about the first 50 years of the NFL. For example your RB list includes only player who played before 1975. Will the Frank Giffords and Paul Hornugs of their positions get fair consideration in the voting?
Very true. But I would imagine that the NFL would have people who know the history and have first hand knowledge on how good some of these older guys were. BB’s opinion probably carried a lot of weight in who was chosen.

Agree with the OP's selections I'd definitely add Tippett and Haynes to the maybe list along with Buoniconti as a dark horse candidate. I expect both the AFL and the only undefeated team of the SB era to get some love and Buoniconti would cover both those bases nicely.

I loved the guy but barring a recency bias Curtis Martin doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it. With only a hundred total player slots available there's just too many greats ahead of him at the position.

Last edited:
I looked at the 2010 list. No kickers. Brady was 21st (the 7th QB on the list out of 19). Hannah 24th. Haynes 49th. Moss 65. That’s it. Gronk will be on.

Curtis Martin
Probably not with how many great RB’s there are. Brown, Sanders, Payton are like locks without thinking about it. Then you have guys like ****erson, Faulk, Tomlinson, Peterson, Dorsett, Campbell, Sayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back