PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newton vs Stidham: Who wins the QB Battle? (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the Patriots Starting QB in 2020?

• Newton

Votes: 110 73.3%
  • Stidham

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Newton will start, but Stidham will take over mid-season

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Stidham will start, but Newton will take over mid-season

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I’m wrong on the Revis saga...
  • Revis wants a big contract from NYJ, they say no
  • Revis holds out
  • NYJ trades him to Tampa
  • Tampa pays him big money
  • Revis immediately plays like **** and gets cut within 2 seasons
  • Revis signs with NE to “win” but also to fix his image and get paid again
  • Revis plays very well on his decent but short 1 year deal and wins a ring
  • Revis finally gets paid the big money by NYJ the next year
  • Revis promptly plays like crap again til his career ends
Revis seems more like proof in favor of your point than against it IMO
Not really. My point is Revis was clearly motivated by money and despite that he went on to have a HOF career where he was widely considered the best CB of his generation.

Fingers crossed Stidham can keep this up through camp. That would be an extremely unexpected and vast jump from where he was last year. I don't doubt that he might have the upside to play really well but even more so consistency is king.
We really have no idea where he was last year. Like absolutely zero.

Yeah maybe. I am not claiming there is some absolute natural law that states nobody is motivated by money or the power/credibility it is a proxy for. I am sure there are many of them, especially outside pro sports.

But at same time it is just difficult for me to imagine anyone going through the physical toll that is a NFL season just for money even though they are already kinda set. Maybe it is just some existentialist bias in me but there has to be more that drives that subset of players.

Now rookies and "edge of the roster" guys it is a different story obviously. But QBs -- where the conversation originated from -- specifically are usually relatively well paid even if they are backups.
I don’t think anyone in their 30s can see themselves as set. To be “set” you would have to be able to maintain the lifestyle you have become accustomed to for 50 years while also having enough extra laying around to set up your children if they need it, etc.
Someone said newton has made 120 mill in 10 years. But we know after taxes that is 60 mill.
Whatever he has left of it, would gave to last a lifetime. Not the lifetime if a person living on 60,000 a year but the lifetime of a person making 6 million a year.
Clearly that couldn’t happen, so the more he earns and the longer he earns it gets him closer to that.
No one gives up more money because they have enough to drastically reduce their standard of living but might still be happy because others survive at that level.

Even worse in NE because we are spoiled for football. Cam could win two rings here and he still would be in Brady’s shadow and not become an Elway or Eli like figure that will have it made here afterwards.

Why would you assume he cares about that ?

Why would you assume he cares about that ?
Because it means money post career.

You have to understand there’s rarely more than 20 guys who’s legacy will be enhanced by a Super Bowl

Because it means money post career.

You have to understand there’s rarely more than 20 guys who’s legacy will be enhanced by a Super Bowl

You seem to be kinda obsessed with money.

(i) If someone backed up the money truck, he’d be insane not to take it.

(ii) Even worse in NE because we are spoiled for football. Cam could win two rings here and he still would be in Brady’s shadow and not become an Elway or Eli like figure that will have it made here afterwards.

(i) On the margin how much (more) money are you talking about? Please be specific.

(ii) Completely disagree. Even a single ring would put Cam in good stead for a HOF nomination. This has nothing to do with Brady.

(i) On the margin how much (more) money are you talking about? Please be specific.

(ii) Completely disagree. Even a single ring would put Cam in good stead for a HOF nomination. This has nothing to do with Brady.
1. If NE and Cleveland offered the same deals but NE guaranteed 50% and Cleveland guaranteed 100%, id take Cleveland.

2. Has nothing to do with that. In NE Brady is a megastar and could do what Elway does in Denver and have every business owner jump to work with him. Open restaurants and car dealerships, franchise out, get sponsorship deals at all the major businesses. Cam’s not getting that here

You seem to be kinda obsessed with money.
If money wasn’t a major concern, every player would have flocked to play here and we would have had our pick of every free agent out there

If money wasn’t a major concern, every player would have flocked to play here and we would have had our pick of every free agent out there
Not true, many players dont like the patriot way and like Jason Kelce would rather have fun, or want to play for a “players coach”

move literally never heard a football player include the opportunity for car dealerships or restaurants in their explanation of why they chose to play somewhere. Not to mention mist restaurants fail and are money pits, and most retired nfl players who made more than 100 million dollars have better things to do than hawk Toyotas.

Eftwr6bWkAYm_Mv

10 Patriots camp observations: Jarrett Stidham throws 3 INTs, Cam Newton flashes live arm

3 interceptions in practice from Stidham is a horrible sign. Especially when last year he threw 3 NFL passes already with 1 an INT for td return. He could be someone who looks good but is an INT turnover machine. Cam looks very healthy so the job is Cam's to lose.

I'd rather have Stidham throwing INT in practice while figuring out things with receivers and reads, than doing it in games.
Considering that he is throwing against the best NFL secondary its not really a surprise that he will have some balls picked by the CBs/Ss.
If he gets to learn something of this INT throws in practice it will benefit his decision making in games and later on in his carreer, so its not all that bad.

Whats worrying a bit (at least for me) is that the goal line offense seemed to destroy the D-Line in practice. Which might not be a good sign for the D-Line.
After the offense was horrible last year on goal-line action, I am not sure whether they made a huge leap by now or if the D-Line is even weaker than last year, I'd almost guess the later one so far...

I'd rather have Stidham throwing INT in practice while figuring out things with receivers and reads, than doing it in games.
Considering that he is throwing against the best NFL secondary its not really a surprise that he will have some balls picked by the CBs/Ss.
If he gets to learn something of this INT throws in practice it will benefit his decision making in games and later on in his carreer, so its not all that bad.

Whats worrying a bit (at least for me) is that the goal line offense seemed to destroy the D-Line in practice. Which might not be a good sign for the D-Line.
After the offense was horrible last year on goal-line action, I am not sure whether they made a huge leap by now or if the D-Line is even weaker than last year, I'd almost guess the later one so far...

Or it could mean Harris is the real deal at RB

Or it could mean Harris is the real deal at RB

yeah sure, but the reports were about Burkhead beeing the main RB on this practices...
anyway hard to evaluate before any game has been played, I hope the run D will not be that bad this year, on the other hand would be great if Harris could show something or at least gets the chance to show something on the field

Look, barring an injury Cam will be QB1 week one against the Dolphins. It's kind of silly there is even so much speculation. Stidham should develop into a solid backup, which is very useful at this point in Cam's career.

For the record, here's what Cam's stats looked like against the Fins in 2017:
Passing - 21/35, 254 yards, 4 TDs
Rushing - 5 carries, 95 yards

Last edited:

Beau Allen their biggest NT has missed time at practice, this has adversely affected their short down and goal line defense.

Beau Allen their biggest NT has missed time at practice, this has adversely affected their short down and goal line defense.

might be the case, but don't tell captain about "fat thor" missing practices already, he'll go nuts:D

What's worrisome for me is McDaniels strolling with Cam during practice.
He likes his flashy toys. Hate to see any favoritism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes