PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Newton vs Stidham: Who wins the QB Battle? (poll)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who will be the Patriots Starting QB in 2020?

• Newton

Votes: 110 73.3%
  • Stidham

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Newton will start, but Stidham will take over mid-season

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Stidham will start, but Newton will take over mid-season

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw on Twitter this morning that Hoyer was the one taking first team reps lol EDIT: he "took the first rep" during a drill, not necessarily "took first team reps"

Last edited:
Josh McDaniels explains how Patriots will evaluate Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham this summer

Doesn't sound like to me they are going to change the offense much to fit Newton...he's going to have to play within the NE system.

I feel like people are conflating the "system" which is the basic framework and terminology with the type of "plays" they will run inside a system. When we were going relentless no-huddle in 2011 it was not a different system, when we changed to be run heavy in 2018 it was not a different system and when Jacoby was running the offense in that TNF against the Texans it was not a different system.

Of course they won't change the system.

They have added and drafted players with that in mind going to a complete changeup would be asinine. But it is obvious -- and McDaniels said as much -- that they will adept the gameplan and what kind of plays they run to the QB:

From a few days back:

Josh McDaniels details what it's like to work with Cam Newton

McDaniels said. “But I would say I did have some experience with the Matt Cassel year, which I learned a lot about how to tailor something to somebody else’s strengths, we had to play that four-game stretch a handful of years ago with Jacoby and Jimmy, I thought that was helpful. And I was away for three years. So trying to really adapt … it’s not changing your system, it’s adapting your system to the talents and strengths of your players.

Someone once called the iteration of EP that BB/McDaniels are running philosophically neutral in a way that enables them to be diverse and flexible enough to switch emphasis on something from one week to the other.

Cam (or Stidham) will be able to do some things that Brady wasn't able to do and at the same time there are staple "Brady plays" that you won't be able to run with him.

Saw on Twitter this morning that Hoyer was the one taking first team reps lol

If that's the case heading into the season, it's tanking for Trevor...

over-analyzing song lyrics for 1,000

I read the post as Cam just speaking to the mindset that he is all about winning and doing whatever it takes to make that happen right away.

Should Cam ball out and the Pats offer a worthy extension, I could totally see Cam taking less pay for the chance to win championships.
100 percent great

Haven't seen anyone talking about first team reps at all on Twitter. Who said that ?

What it sounded like to me was that the order for drills was Hoyer first but everyone got same amount of reps. This is different than getting "first team reps". No ?

What Did Patriots’ Brief Glimpse Of Practice Tell Us About QB Competition?
The Patriots offered a brief glimpse at the first unpadded training camp practice of the summer on Patriots.com. In a quarterback rollout drill, veteran passer Brian Hoyer took the first rep, while Stidham was second and Newton went third. Undrafted free agent Brian Lewerke took the fourth rep. That shouldn’t come as a massive surprise. The Patriots are in the midst of a quarterback competition between Hoyer, Stidham and Newton to replace departed starter Tom Brady. Hoyer has the most experience in the Patriots’ offense, so he would go first. Stidham played on the Patriots last season, so he’d go second. Newton is the veteran, so he’ll take reps before Lewerke, a rookie.

Read more at: What Did Patriots’ Brief Glimpse Of Practice Tell Us About QB Competition?

Haven't seen anyone talking about first team reps at all on Twitter. Who said that ?

What it sounded like to me was that the order for drills was Hoyer first but everyone got same amount of reps. This is different than getting "first team reps". No ?
You're right, that's a misrepresentation of things. I'll edit.

If Cam wins the job and has a successful season he'd be a complete fool to go elsewhere next year.

If Cam wins the job and has a successful season he'd be a complete fool to go elsewhere next year.

Not really. If he plays well in our system he's gonna get paid...

Its questionable if NE can even scout and draft a franchise NFL QB.

7th Cassell was an 11 win flash in the pan. He was exposed once he left the Pats.
I agree with your overall point, but Cassel made a Pro Bowl after he left the Patriots.

Its questionable if NE can even scout and draft a franchise NFL QB.

Brady was a fluke. **** Rehbien was begging Bill Beleichick to take him and finally BB relented in the 6th round. Do you mean to tell me that BB and the Pats draft department knew Brady was the GOAT but waited anyway?

4th Rohan Davey. I recall the days when Patriots fans were willing to trade Davey for a 1st round pick. Otherwise, no deal.
7th Cassell was an 11 win flash in the pan. He was exposed once he left the Pats.
3rd Oconnell
3rd Mallet
2nd Jimmy Baby went all the way to the big game and choked. His HC sat on the football with over 1 minute to halftime because he does not trust Jimmy. Jury is still out on Jimmy.
3rd Brissett lost his job to Phil Rivers.

Even if you exclude Brady is there any team that has been better at scouting and drafting NFL QBs than the Patriots?

From your list you have
2 QBs that were given clear franchise QB contracts
1 QB that was effectively given $30m for 1 year
1 QB that is probably the only Cleveland QB with a winning record in the last 20 years. And is at least a high end backup.

Especially given the draft capital used for that, that is amazing.

Only team that comes to mind that might be better is the Cowboys with Romo and Prescott.

The run-up to the first game will be fascinating to watch. Without preseason games odds are we won't know until shortly before -- maybe even hours -- who will start at QB.

We're going to have to rely on Mike Reiss and others to let us know who's in the lead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back