PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing New Pats OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr

Taylor will produce if the Pats get him the ball out in space where he has the opportunity to make people miss. These small guys have the potential to wreak havoc in the NFL because they are shifty and difficult to grab. No more dumba55 runs up the middle where the defense is ready and waiting.

Ivan Fears calls Taylor "Mini Dion Lewis"
He does look like Dion Lewis running and catching the ball. The only reason he hasn’t made the active roster has been pass blocking. He looked good at it by the end of last preseason so I suspect he’s kept working at it. He’ll always be small though.

For those wondering why the Browns would trade a decent tackle prospect to us, this is what I wrote in the Josh Jones thread when people asked if the Pats might trade for him:

“When looking for cuts who could possibly help at OL look to the teams with great lines… not terrible lines. The Eagles or Falcons might cut someone who can help. It won’t be Arizona.”

Cleveland is another team I could have mentioned, they have a great line with a lot of depth. I don’t doubt BB and the Browns coaching staff have some ties. They had a tackle, we had a RB… there’s a trade.

Holy expectation management Batman! Is the expectation that coaching not only will change the physical and mental makeup of EVERY player, but ALSO do it in less than six weeks???

Scar is the GOAT OL coach, but he didn't make silk purses from sows ears in that amount of time either - it usually took some actual time.
Valid point. We saw some improvement on offensive play calling and wide receiver routes. So that was my barometer for judging oline. Whether that's reasonable I donno. But looks like the offensive line has digressed more compared to last year

So what is a realistic timeline to gauge the improvements in OLine coaching?

Jesus Sam, you have been *****ing about getting OL help all summer, and when they make a move to get OL help you ***** about that too. Unbelievable.

It's his "brand" here now, how he gets his jollies. I weep for his patients.

Apparently his father had a 10 year NFL career as a running back, but I don’t remember him.

A running back father with an offensive tackle son…can’t imagine that combination has happened all that often in the NFL’s history.

Wheatley Senior was a great RB in college at Michigan and had a 10-year career in the NFL as a running back. Good athletic bloodlines. I don't see any downside to this move, They are in a horrible position right now regarding the OT position and are not in bad shape for the RB position. I am far from astute when it comes to assessing OL talent so can't comment on why, but failing to at least take a shot with somebody that played OT last year in college in the hopes that Sow can come up to speed while relying on Brown and Rieff seems like a huge mistake, compounded by the way they chose to address the position with Steuber only in the 2022 draft. I don't see much to feel great about with Jake Andrews, I don't think Steuber or Hines are NFL caliber players, I don't like taking a kicker in the 4th round, but there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change that, even if I am correct. Thus I'm quite happy to see them try to address OT, as I was last week with the nose tackle move. It may not work but when it comes to something I do to get some enjoyment I prefer to stay optimistic and not piss in everyone's cornflakes.

Is spags still next to Leisers?

It's long gone, after the Dad passed the kids did a good job keeping it going for a while but eventually economic reality got them. No way for a place like that to survive these days as an independent "off-price" retail operation. The closest thing to it I can think of these days is Ocean State Job Lot, but they have a lot of locations and thus a lot more buying power than Spags did. In a very nice gesture, Whole Foods who purchased the site has a tribute to Spags on the Route 9 side. I used to love it when my folks would pack us in the station wagon for the ride down there, so much stuff to see, it was fun in and of its own right but the trip to Spags also meant a stop on the way home at the Hostess factory in Natick. You couldn't beat that one, especially back in the days when Twinkies and such were actually baked as opposed to whatever it is they do these days to make them (I don't want to know).

Last edited:

Wheatley Senior was a great RB in college at Michigan and had a 10-year career in the NFL as a running back. Good athletic bloodlines. I don't see any downside to this move, They are in a horrible position right now regarding the OT position and are not in bad shape for the RB position. I am far from astute when it comes to assessing OL talent so can't comment on why, but failing to at least take a shot with somebody that played OT last year in college in the hopes that Sow can come up to speed while relying on Brown and Rieff seems like a huge mistake, compounded by the way they chose to address the position with Steuber only in the 2022 draft. I don't see much to feel great about with Jake Andrews, I don't think Steuber or Hines are NFL caliber players, I don't like taking a kicker in the 4th round.

It's long gone, after the Dad passed the kids did a good job keeping it going for a while but eventually economic reality got them. No way for a place like that to survive these days as an independent "off-price" retail operation. The closest thing to it I can think of these days is Ocean State Job Lot, but they have a lot of locations and thus a lot more buying power than Spags did. In a very nice gesture, Whole Foods who purchased the site has a tribute to Spags on the Route 9 side. I used to love it when my folks would pack us in the station wagon for the ride down there, so much stuff to see, it was fun in and of its own right but the trip to Spags also meant a stop on the way home at the Hostess factory in Natick.
You guys are harsh out here. I am not a cheerleader it's true. I voice my opinion and most of the time its not popular on this board.

I really like Strong and thought he would be an excellent change of pace back with athleticism for big plays and also an excellent receiver. I see him as a high upside player with athleticism that the Pats lack. I feel he never really got enough of a chance.
I do not know too much about Wheatley. He has not played many regular season games.
It would be fantastic if he works out because I have been pointing out the impossibility of being a good team in this league without strong line play on both sides of the ball.
I still would have preferred they prioritized proven OL free agent pickups and also used some high round draft capital to pickup a high upside tackle. Until they have a dominating OL, they will not be competitive.

Wheatley is a crap shoot, shot in the dark.

You guys are harsh out here. I am not a cheerleader it's true. I voice my opinion and most of the time its not popular on this board.

I really like Strong and thought he would be an excellent change of pace back with athleticism for big plays and also an excellent receiver. I see him as a high upside player with athleticism that the Pats lack. I feel he never really got enough of a chance.
I do not know too much about Wheatley. He has not played many regular season games.
It would be fantastic if he works out because I have been pointing out the impossibility of being a good team in this league without strong line play on both sides of the ball.
I still would have preferred they prioritized proven OL free agent pickups and also used some high round draft capital to pickup a high upside tackle. Until they have a dominating OL, they will not be competitive.

Wheatley is a crap shoot, shot in the dark.
There's tape on Wheatley, he's not exactly a complete unknown. Bill Callahan has been one of the better offensive line coaches in the NFL for a long time, he has worked with this kids for almost two years. The kid has had time to put on weight and get stronger. We'll see what he can bring.

I liked Strong as well. That being said he made a stupid special teams blunder last season, I suspect he's something of a knuckle head or just a raw piece of clay that needs continued hammering. Judging by the size of the three RB's the Pats kept, it seems they want to phase that third down back out of the offense, or have three RB's who can all block, catch and run with equal aplomb so they're not as predictable.

It's long gone, after the Dad passed the kids did a good job keeping it going for a while but eventually economic reality got them. No way for a place like that to survive these days as an independent "off-price" retail operation. The closest thing to it I can think of these days is Ocean State Job Lot, but they have a lot of locations and thus a lot more buying power than Spags did. In a very nice gesture, Whole Foods who purchased the site has a tribute to Spags on the Route 9 side. I used to love it when my folks would pack us in the station wagon for the ride down there, so much stuff to see, it was fun in and of its own right but the trip to Spags also meant a stop on the way home at the Hostess factory in Natick. You couldn't beat that one, especially back in the days when Twinkies and such were actually baked as opposed to whatever it is they do these days to make them (I don't want to know).
My wife always knew when I'd been to Spag's because I couldn't resist the fried dough truck and the powdered sugar invariably left some evidence.

Edit: As or Wheatley I've always liked converted tight ends because they make for very athletic tackles - a requirement against today's lightning fast edge rushers.

Not when they are playing behind TWO all pro quality RB's. Read the room Amed. Where are the Pats issues this preseason. The Wheatley kid had a lights out preseason for Cleveland (at least according to PFF) in 96 snaps. So its not like he is a slug. He also has a full NFL season playing the position (albeit on te PS). He is a SOLID Tackle prospect at a position of need. In order to get such a prospect you have to give up something. Strong is a solid prospect at RB at a position we have good depth at. Simple as that. We traded need for need. Both teams win.

Where they were drafted ENDs the day they put on the jersey. At that point they are all just players who have to EARN their way on the 53. The ONLY people who care AFTER that point are the fans and media because we like to keep score and use that "score" to create content or support on narrative or another. The coaches ONLY care about who the guys on the field are REGARDLESS of how they come on to the team.
How dare you be reasonable?!?

So what is a realistic timeline to gauge the improvements in OLine coaching?
Havent a clue because there's too many variables and not enough data. How many years before we said "hey - that Scar is a helluva coach?" He also had some GREAT players to model for new OL - Pats HOF Armstrong for one. How much time did it take him to get Stephen Neal to steady, solid contributor (basically an entire year BTW)?

I do know it's not six weeks. I would GUESS it's the same timeline as a HC being evaluated for overall effectiveness because it eliminates a lot of variables: three years. Now can it be sooner? Sure - if the OL regresses all year (kind've like last years' offense under MP) there's probably something amiss with the coach.

We needed someone better than McDermott to be the swing tackle, he has regressed.

Reiff got injured and Calvin Anderson won't be back in time for the regular season from the look of things.

If he's a good run blocker and a so-so pass blocker, currently, he's good enough to be the starting RT. Mac will see any rushers coming from the right side much more easily, and Onwenu would be a help if he's the RG. If Onwenu is the starting RT then Wheatley is just good depth with long-term starter potential. Take over for Onwenu or Brown next year? Both tackles would be free agents in 2024 if Onwenu is the RT.

Reports also say Wheatley was a cut candidate so unless Strong wasn’t long for this team either (possible) it’s odd they’d swing a trade for a guy they could have had for free in a couple of days.

Well worth it to address a need. Strong was kind of a disappointment, didn't do enough to earn the backup spot Zeke was signed for.

4th rounder with 4.38 speed for an undrafted free agent oft injured who would likely be cut
More BB magic.
4th rounder with 4.38 speed ...
how often does he take false steps?
Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
Deep OT class next draft with at least couple of blue chip prospects. If the Pats are ever gonna be aggressive and move way up in the draft to get what they want like other teams do it’s a great time to do it and they can address a major need and not worry about it for years.

Patriots are 15th in the waiver claim order. They must have thought someone before them would claim him. Or, they were going to cut Strong anyway.
Or both. that seems most likely to me.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back