PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New NFL TV/Streaming Rights Deal

XLIX

Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The NFL announced new deals which will impact how we all watch games. Points of note:

1) TNF is going exclusively to Amazon. If you want to watch those games, you have to stream them - which f'ing sucks since streaming is a good couple minutes behind live. If you follow a game online, you will see what happened a good minute or two before watching it. This will especially suck if watching in a public place (except at the game itself).

2) Monday is now eligible to have games flexed in/out. This is a major change since flexing never involved changing the day a game was played (except for the late season Saturday games, but I don't really consider those a "flex")

3) ABC/ESPN will be getting a couple Super Bowls. While I have no doubt those would be broadcast on ABC, it is unclear if ESPN would have a simulcast. It also states ABC will have a couple "exclusive" games but is not clear what those mean.

4) The NFLN will continue to have exclusive games. The only timeslots I can imagine such things are on Saturdays late in the season.

5) No word on what is going to happen to the Sunday Ticket package.

6) Pretty much all of the above will also be available to stream on the corresponding streaming package of whatever network is doing the broadcasting. Unclear in the NFL app or Verizon will maintain any streaming.

NFL COMPLETES LONG-TERM MEDIA DISTRIBUTION AGREEMENTS PROVIDING FANS GREATER ACCESS TO NFL GAMES THAN EVER BEFORE (nflcommunications.com)

Last edited:
Not streaming games unless they make it easy and free. Need Amazon Prime? $100/year for (1) game? Does everyone pay for Amazon Prime now? Are we all addicted to 2-day shipping and TV shows now?

Do streaming games air locally in anyway?

Without knowing the numbers will this effect the Salary Cap??

Not streaming games unless they make it easy and free. Need Amazon Prime? $100/year for (1) game? Does everyone pay for Amazon Prime now? Are we all addicted to 2-day shipping and TV shows now?
Ante up you cheap bast***. Lol

I've been an Amazon customer since 1996, back when they were just a book store.

I go inside a mall maybe once per year.

I use streaming and over-the-air broadcast TV, do not have cable television at all, and would dump cable internet if I could get fiber at a reasonable price.

I don't watch TV other than for NFL football, the rest is almost all youtube stuff.

Interesting perspective:

• Winner
Reactions: PP2
10B a season is the word on the street...

That translates to 156M cap for each team (10B/32 teams = ~ 312M * 50% for players) ...not including shared revenue like merch, gate receipts, parking, concessions, etc....

Interesting perspective:

I mean, I'm not going to argue that the players are getting the best deal they can in their CBA's (PA's almost always lose these to some degree), but it's not like players are the only expense a team has. Comparing the TV deal to the salary cap without context of operational expenses and the other benefits that players get outside of their salary (free food, medical care, travel accommodations, etc) isn't painting the whole picture.

I mean, I'm not going to argue that the players are getting the best deal they can in their CBA's (PA's almost always lose these to some degree), but it's not like players are the only expense a team has. Comparing the TV deal to the salary cap without context of operational expenses and the other benefits that players get outside of their salary (free food, medical care, travel accommodations, etc) isn't painting the whole picture.
The players go bent over last CBA.

The owners gave up crap like less practice and less hitting that they really dont care about as long as the Goose keeps producing golden eggs. And it has. The NFL is the hottest sport in this country. The players kept asking the owners to open up the books which they refused. The owners cried poor mouth because of the recession. Today the cap is dropping and the money isn't there for the veterans who thought the big payday would be waiting.

Nothing about Su day ticket, I was hoping it would be available on something other than Direct TV
I’ve been watching it for the last four years on the Fire Stick. It’s still through DirecTV, but I don’t need to purchase a service agreement or satellite through them.

And it's not like media is the only source of revenue that teams have. They have tickets, game day sales, merch, etc. Some even have a mall attached right to their stadium.

Andrew worked for Green Bay, and they are the only team that is a publicly held corporation that has to release their books. Once a year he goes through their annual report i.e. 'the whole picture'. It's very informative.

Yes...pretty much everyone pays for Amazon Prime. It's less than $10/month, you can get almost anything at the cheapest price deliver to your front door in 2 days, they have a ton of great streaming content including shows (Marvelous Mrs Mazel just to name one) and movies, and now apparently NFL games. I would easily pay double for Amazon Prime.

Can’t wait to see what happens to ST in a few yrs. That’s the main reason I have directv.

Yes...pretty much everyone pays for Amazon Prime. It's less than $10/month, you can get almost anything at the cheapest price deliver to your front door in 2 days, they have a ton of great streaming content including shows (Marvelous Mrs Mazel just to name one) and movies, and now apparently NFL games. I would easily pay double for Amazon Prime.
I would gladly pay $20 per month to stop the endless Amazon deliveries in my neighborhood on weekends when I'm trying to relax. Bah Humbug!

Will be interested in the new "Flexing" rules once they are released.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back