PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Helmet Rule Already Causing Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
no shocker there. It's going to cause so many problems during the season with how inconsistent its going to be called.

One article I read (maybe that one?) said the refs claimed they only noticed three times the rule would have been applied over a six game stretch last year. Which according to the letter of the rule, seems very low. So yeah,

It's going to cause so many problems during the season with how inconsistent its going to be called.

The cheap azz Bears are so confused by the rule that they can't get their top pick signed.

The first few weeks will likely resemble the replacement ref games of 2012.

Just an absolute mess.

The way they're playing hardball with Roquan is pathetic.

It's even more mind-numbing than the Jete jerking Darnold around to the point of not having him there to start camp. Of course the Jete are just outright incompetent whereas the McCaskey regime is somewhat incompetent and outright cheap, so the Bears did have a slight leg up in the dumbass process right out of the gate.

It's even more mind-numbing than the Jete jerking Darnold around to the point of not having him there to start camp. Of course the Jete are just outright incompetent whereas the McCaskey regime is somewhat incompetent and outright cheap, so the Bears did have a slight leg up in the dumbass process right out of the gate.

Well, football IS a business.

Unfortunately for Jete and Bears fans, their teams have no clue how to properly manage the business they're in.

I really don't understand why there's such confusion over this rule, from either a player's or official's perspective.

I predict that the Refs will go to Goofball and tell him there is no reasonable way to enforce the rule and that it will be scrapped prior to the start of the season..

I thought the the thread title was "New Helmets already causing Concussions.":confused::oops:

The beginning of the end of tackle football as we've known it.

I predict that the Refs will go to Goofball and tell him there is no reasonable way to enforce the rule and that it will be scrapped prior to the start of the season..
That's pretty optimistic but I hope you're right.

Flag football will be here before we know it. Probably around the time Archie Manning's eldest grandson is being drafted by the league.

I really don't understand why there's such confusion over this rule, from either a player's or official's perspective.

I think it's because if you read the exact wording of the rule (as paraphrased by ESPN in that article), it says the following:

Under the new rule, a player will be penalized 15 yards and potentially fined or ejected for lowering his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent.

It seems like that happens on almost every play, both by defenders and by ball carriers. So shouldn't there be a penalty on every play as well? That's part of the reason some people are saying this will 'change the game of football as we know it.' But the article also says:

The refs told the players that they watched six games and found only three instances in which the new rule would come into play

Which is counterintuitive, given that we see lowering the helmet happen all the time.

So I'M pretty confused and will just see how it plays out (expecting complete ****show if this gains traction). If you're not confused then I take my helmet off to you captain.

I don't see how this stupid freaking rule change can be accurately enforced unless it involves a one-on-one tackle in the open field. Pretty much every play at or near the LOS will involve contact open to interpretation under it. If the refs watch for it they'll find it with regularity, which will be disastrous.

I don't see how this stupid freaking rule change can be accurately enforced unless it involves a one-on-one tackle in the open field. Pretty much every play at or near the LOS will involve contact open to interpretation under it. If the refs watch for it they'll find it with regularity, which will be disastrous.
Indeed it will. It’ll just be another step in the wrong direction for a sport that’s losing more and more of their hardcore fans on a yearly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back