PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots’ Situation With Kendrick Bourne Needs a Resolution Sooner than Later

Once again, gruff ol' Little Billy Notgoat is showing that he would rather lose his way than win another way.

T-E-A-M be D-A-M-M-E-D.
You should upgrade to a computer with spellcheck.

I agree that Belichick shouldn't be directly directing the offensive coaches with regard to depth chart and allow them to do their best.

No, I don't KNOW that the coaches were told to have Bourne at the end of the depth chart. But, it is what it is. If Belichick didn't do this, then he shouldn't have approved the game plan which obviously used Bourne very little.
========
Not using Bourne to take advantage of the backup DB opposite Howard deserves an F for coaching. Miami was wondering how to cover up for the very weak substitute back. Belichick's answer was not to throw his way.

Apparently, we are two coaches and a coordinator short, and the head coach is filling in for some of the lack of coaching.

In hindsight, we only have ourselves to blame for being surprised, because the writing has been on the wall for almost a month now. On the practice field, it was pretty unanimous that Bourne just wasn’t good enough this summer. Fortunately, everybody also said that he’ll get more playing time once he shows he deserves it. That catch on Sunday was probably a good start.

Kendrick Bourne feels like more of a game player than a practice player, but his quiet camp is becoming more noticeable. It's not time to panic yet, as Bourne wasn't a camp standout a year ago either. But it's odd how uninvolved he is at times. (Lazar, August 18)

Plus, the Pats need Kendrick Bourne to flip a switch when the games start to count. (Lazar, August 31)

He hasn't had the type of offseason he had last year, but he’s been working at it, just like everybody else. So he’s coming along, and he’s getting more and more reps as camp goes on here and going into the first game here. We’re going to play the guys who deserve to play. (Troy Brown via Reiss, September 5)

I didn’t take it as him being down on him, as much as stating a fact; Bourne hasn’t had as good an offseason as last year. We all know that. He has to re-establish that level again. Still, Bourne is a good player and going to be an important piece of the team’s success. (Reiss, September 5)

Patriots receiver Kendrick Bourne hasn’t conducted an interview with reporters since mid-August when he didn’t play in the team’s second preseason game after a rocky week in which he was kicked out of practice for fighting and removed from a practice drill by a referee for something related to his equipment/pads not being worn properly. Receivers coach Troy Brown shot it straight last week when he said: “Kendrick obviously hasn’t had the type of offseason he had last year.” But I don’t sense the team has lost hope that Bourne can be a key contributor and much-needed emotional spark; it’s just a matter of him tidying up some of the smaller details. (Reiss, September 11)

We did what we thought was best,” said Belichick when asked about Bourne. He added that it had nothing to do with a possible disciplinary action by the team.

I thought ‘KB’ did a great job stepping in there when we needed him,” said Belichick. “Made a big play for us. He’s a good player. I’m sure that he’ll have plenty of opportunities, as all of our skill players will, going forward, so we’ll see how it all plays out.”

“It just kind of worked out that way,” Belichick replied, “it wasn’t anything that was specifically avoided. Just didn’t work.”

giphy.gif
I love coach BB. I still believe *in* him and his ability. I just do not believe him, not here, no way.

It's interesting to see this kind of game being called by Patricia nonetheless. Much to our frustration as fans - but, admittingly to the success of those teams, Patricia's bend-don't-break philosophy as a DC had the idea in mind that forcing teams to string together long drives of 10+ plays creates more opportunities for mistakes with the opposing offense.

This could be in response to a talent deficiency, or the team is still finding their chemistry, but it is interesting to see what's unfolding.
That’s a good point. You’d think a believer in the bend don’t break defense wouldn’t want to approach offense by having to string together 10+ play drives with minimal big play potential.

Just curious if Bill isn't the best coach of all time who do you think is? And where does Bill land in your opinion?
Bill is the tier of GOATs alongside the likes of Bill Walsh, Chuck Knoll and Lombardi. What order you put it in doesn't matter because there are arguments for either side.

Bills place in history is cemented but that doesn't mean his future is.

Bill is 70. It surprises me how many people doubted Brady because no QB had ever been great into their 40s but at the same time not acknowledge that there has never been a great HC coaching into their 70s.

It's entirely possible that Bill is past his prime.

I'm not advocating for anything like retirement or firing and after 1 game it's ridiculous to spell gloom and doom. However, it's not unreasonable to discuss if Bill has slipped a little bit due to age. Remember this is not 50 year old Belicheck its 70 year Belicheck

Let's remind ourselves... It was Patricia who wore a clown goodell shirt coming off the plane. Whether you like goodell or not that's a clown move for your career

Let's remind ourselves... It was Patricia who wore a clown goodell shirt coming off the plane. Whether you like goodell or not that's a clown move for your career
I think you might be in the minority disliking the shirt. Whatever people's beef is with Patricia, that shirt ain't part of it.

I think you might be in the minority disliking the shirt. Whatever people's beef is with Patricia, that shirt ain't part of it.
You can like the shirt but is it really a smart move?

Worst off-season and first game impressions in a long time.

The media noise is going to increase manifold and if we have a losing season , I expect 2023 to be last season for bill and his proteges.

If Sean Payton is available and wants to come here , then I could see Kraft moving in a year earlier. We have very high cap space is 2023 . I am not confident in Bills ability to make the best use of it.

Spending 25 million on two tight ends while not hiring an Offensive minded coach is a travesty . Donno how Kraft is keeping quiet.

being a hard assed disciplinarian only works when you're winning. Whatever Bourne did to piss on Bill's corn flakes needs to be forgotten for the sake of the team.

Don't know about anyone else but if players are now starting to speak up for Bourne then this is starting to become a big deal and I think BB might have a real problem to deal with and he needs to do that now.

IIRC we saw this story before with Tom Coughlin as Giants coach. Legendary coach. Coughlin and the Giants beat us to win SB, he says he wants to coach into his 70's, but his team regresses, they have a playoff win drought, his team can't hold leads, plays poorly in December, Giants owner starts becoming vocal, players not on the same page as the coach... sound familiar? Then he lost the locker room completely, and he was out. I don't want BB's story to end like that.

We've seen BB deal with the Milloy fallout in 2003 and a locker room cancer situation in 2009. He needs to deal with this problem now before it becomes a cancer of its own and a distraction that could derail a very important season for our QB and this rebuild.
Play the Man

Pats saw K Bourne as their Forth best WR coming out of camp the Patriots WR evaluation skills never ceases to amaze. :mad: :headscratch: You can't make these things up. :rolleyes:
I love KB but I actually don’t think it’s amazing or shocking to hear that the coaches had him ranked 4th. Jakobi has been our top guy for 3 years now and Parker has had a higher peak than Bourne has shown and does have certain ability that KB doesn’t (jump ball skills, size). Agholor is harder for me to rank above KB but again, he possesses a unique skill that KB doesn’t (straight line speed). He also reportedly just had a better camp than KB did.
We just have a weird WR group that consists of 5 legit receivers that all need playing time and targets.

I love KB but I actually don’t think it’s amazing or shocking to hear that the coaches had him ranked 4th. Jakobi has been our top guy for 3 years now and Parker has had a higher peak than Bourne has shown and does have certain ability that KB doesn’t (jump ball skills, size). Agholor is harder for me to rank above KB but again, he possesses a unique skill that KB doesn’t (straight line speed). He also reportedly just had a better camp than KB did.
We just have a weird WR group that consists of 5 legit receivers that all need playing time and targets.

You don't think it's shocking that the team's best WR last year was rated #4 by the team, when the only change is the swap out of Harry for Parker?

Interesting...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back