PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2, Morse’s Morsels

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2, Morse’s Morsels
Mark Morse
This Mock Draft is after the Senior Bowl and East-West Shrine games have been completed. The fact that the Patriots coaching staff spent the week coaching the West Shrine Stars gives them terrific insight into who these players are, their work habits, and preparedness and just get to know them more personally.

The post MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #2, Morse’s Morsels appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Wow! simply WOW! This might be the worst mock I have seen. Not just this year, but for many years.

1.Your trade is unrealistic. No one is giving up their high 2nd round pick to move up 2 spots.

2. You've over drafted Flowers, who I've seen in the go as high as 25th and as low as in the 3rd round.

3. Again neglected positions of need to draft an undersized slow (relatively) FS. when you have at TWO currently roster members who would be much better options and maybe 3. Both Phillips and Mills are bigger and faster and Bledsoe was stuck behind very deep S group. That's just off the top of my head

4. Thank you for drafting 15 players of which it is VERY likely that at LEAST 7 won't be on the final 53 come September Having 8 picks on your roster would be a HUGE win for any team. But if we are THAT lucky to have 8 rooks make the roster, that would be literally 7 wasted picks.

5. You've picked a FEW interesting names, but that's all they are, interesting but no guarantees they ever make an NFL roster

6. I find it striking that you COMPLETELY ignore what many (including myself) to be the Pats most critical need - CB I hope that was just an oversight, right?

The Pats have needs at CB, OL and WR - They are OK on the DI, but adding another "stud" guy in FA or the draft can make a good D into a great one.

The Pats currently have 11 picks, in my mind that's too many. I'm OK with trading down and I'd take your trade in a second, but its what you DID with those first couple of picks pissed me off.

I think there will be 2 OT's worthy of the 14th pick. I'd be tempted to pick one if one is there, but there are 3 and maybe 4 CB's worth of the spot and would still probably be there at 19. THREE OT's is stupid, while any draft pick could be a HOFer, any OT we draft is a shot in the dark, better to pick on up in FA. Besides we have 3 NFL experienced OT's that have talent and potential as well. Stuber, Cajuste, and McDermott all, with the right coaching do well.

You want to add picks, then add them NEXT year. IIRC in on mock I did I was offered 3 different 2024 firsts to trade down from 14 Use a couple of mid to lower round picks to move UP and get quality

FINALLY - I liked you pick of the Michigan punter with our last pick, so you got THAT going for you.....at least ;)

Wow! simply WOW! This might be the worst mock I have seen. Not just this year, but for many years.

1.Your trade is unrealistic. No one is giving up their high 2nd round pick to move up 2 spots.

2. You've over drafted Flowers, who I've seen in the go as high as 25th and as low as in the 3rd round.

3. Again neglected positions of need to draft an undersized slow (relatively) FS. when you have at TWO currently roster members who would be much better options and maybe 3. Both Phillips and Mills are bigger and faster and Bledsoe was stuck behind very deep S group. That's just off the top of my head

4. Thank you for drafting 15 players of which it is VERY likely that at LEAST 7 won't be on the final 53 come September Having 8 picks on your roster would be a HUGE win for any team. But if we are THAT lucky to have 8 rooks make the roster, that would be literally 7 wasted picks.

5. You've picked a FEW interesting names, but that's all they are, interesting but no guarantees they ever make an NFL roster

6. I find it striking that you COMPLETELY ignore what many (including myself) to be the Pats most critical need - CB I hope that was just an oversight, right?

The Pats have needs at CB, OL and WR - They are OK on the DI, but adding another "stud" guy in FA or the draft can make a good D into a great one.

The Pats currently have 11 picks, in my mind that's too many. I'm OK with trading down and I'd take your trade in a second, but its what you DID with those first couple of picks pissed me off.

I think there will be 2 OT's worthy of the 14th pick. I'd be tempted to pick one if one is there, but there are 3 and maybe 4 CB's worth of the spot and would still probably be there at 19. THREE OT's is stupid, while any draft pick could be a HOFer, any OT we draft is a shot in the dark, better to pick on up in FA. Besides we have 3 NFL experienced OT's that have talent and potential as well. Stuber, Cajuste, and McDermott all, with the right coaching do well.

You want to add picks, then add them NEXT year. IIRC in on mock I did I was offered 3 different 2024 firsts to trade down from 14 Use a couple of mid to lower round picks to move UP and get quality

FINALLY - I liked you pick of the Michigan punter with our last pick, so you got THAT going for you.....at least ;)
Wow, it’s a mock draft. No reason to chew the guy out, and we are the team who drafted Cole Strange in the 1st round, so nothing here seems to far fetched.

Nah, that was pretty bad. Morse is Not Good at this. There's a reason he has 27 followers on twitter.

The trading back into #23 and then trading out seems a little bizarre. The team also needs to stop allocating high picks to the same positions like S over and over and over again.

I appreciate the attempt at the mock draft though.

I’m a big fan of the tackle picks and would love to see the BC product suit up for the Pats!

Those trades kill me, though, in terms of realism. The second one you’re able to receive better picks and more of them than what you gave up! Now that I’m over my rational objection to it, it’s a fun exercise and I love your linemen picks. Think we differ on the skill positions we’d like to see added, though. All in all, a fun read. Thank you.

giphy.gif

Disagree with @patfanken (but with major respect to him!) that CB is the highest priority but totally agree that if the potential for success with the Pats of the options for the LT they need when they are due to pick is less than that of the available options at another position then I’d be bitterly disappointed to see them reach at #14 or trade out of the first round and miss getting an elite player, especially at at CB or WR which I see as less of an area of need than LT but only by a little bit. I’m in agreement with @captain stone that it needs to be a clear LT prospect and not a RT or someone better suited to being a guard.

For whatever it’s worth (not much) I’ve been expressing the opinion that based on history there will likely be at least 2 LTs off the board by #14 and quite possibly 3; the Bears, Raiders, Titans, and GreenScum are all potential spots for an LT. There’s much more to learn about the prospects but as of now I’m guessing Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, and Anton Harrison are the top 3 for LT, in that order. I’m on the fence about Jones and would consider Harrison a reach at #14. Regarding CB, again based on history, I’d be surprised if there aren’t at least 2 gone by #14, I’m guessing the Bears and Raiders, Cardinals, and Lions will be in that market.

Obviously the free agency period will change some of the projections on this. I don’t want to see the Pats overspend on anyone I see on the current list of vets potentially available but if they did bring in a vet that can handle LT for a couple years and had to pay a premium for him then I could live with them drafting a prospect and spending the draft capital on someone who could be elite at pretty much any position.

Disagree with @patfanken (but with major respect to him!) that CB is the highest priority but totally agree that if the potential for success with the Pats of the options for the LT they need when they are due to pick is less than that of the available options at another position then I’d be bitterly disappointed to see them reach at #14 or trade out of the first round and miss getting an elite player, especially at at CB or WR which I see as less of an area of need than LT but only by a little bit. I’m in agreement with @captain stone that it needs to be a clear LT prospect and not a RT or someone better suited to being a guard.

For whatever it’s worth (not much) I’ve been expressing the opinion that based on history there will likely be at least 2 LTs off the board by #14 and quite possibly 3; the Bears, Raiders, Titans, and GreenScum are all potential spots for an LT. There’s much more to learn about the prospects but as of now I’m guessing Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, and Anton Harrison are the top 3 for LT, in that order. I’m on the fence about Jones and would consider Harrison a reach at #14. Regarding CB, again based on history, I’d be surprised if there aren’t at least 2 gone by #14, I’m guessing the Bears and Raiders, Cardinals, and Lions will be in that market.

Obviously the free agency period will change some of the projections on this. I don’t want to see the Pats overspend on anyone I see on the current list of vets potentially available but if they did bring in a vet that can handle LT for a couple years and had to pay a premium for him then I could live with them drafting a prospect and spending the draft capital on someone who could be elite at pretty much any position.
Interesting that Greg Bedard had a section on the 5 things HE would do to quickly help the Pats get better. #1 was get better at CB, though he felt the best way would be to get Jalen Ramsey from the Rams (as the Rams have major cap issues) as his fix. BTW his #3 was to get more athletic at LB in the 2nd round. #2 was to trade for Jerry Judy as explosive twitchy guy at WR He mentioned that Judy was available at the trade deadline last season with no takers. Interesting

Wow, it’s a mock draft. No reason to chew the guy out, and we are the team who drafted Cole Strange in the 1st round, so nothing here seems to far fetched.
Yeah, that WAS a bit of an overreaction, wasn't it

I was wondering about the quality vs. quantity strategy at this point in the rebuild. I don't think we're a couple of players away -- that strategy would be to package picks for fewer but higher quality picks. We seem to still just need overall more talent across the board. That would suggest we go for higher volume of 2-4th rounders and hope we hit on a few like the Jones boys last year.OTOH, I see the point that having 15 picks means a lot of them are going to be cut. Any views on what the "right" number of picks is for this draft?

I was wondering about the quality vs. quantity strategy at this point in the rebuild. I don't think we're a couple of players away -- that strategy would be to package picks for fewer but higher quality picks. We seem to still just need overall more talent across the board. That would suggest we go for higher volume of 2-4th rounders and hope we hit on a few like the Jones boys last year.OTOH, I see the point that having 15 picks means a lot of them are going to be cut. Any views on what the "right" number of picks is for this draft?
The point I keep coming back to is that under Belichick, every player drafted in the first four rounds has made the 53 or ended up on IR their rookie year. Only one has ever been cut before his rookie season ended, and that was in the special case of 2007.

Interesting that Greg Bedard had a section on the 5 things HE would do to quickly help the Pats get better. #1 was get better at CB, though he felt the best way would be to get Jalen Ramsey from the Rams (as the Rams have major cap issues) as his fix. BTW his #3 was to get more athletic at LB in the 2nd round. #2 was to trade for Jerry Judy as explosive twitchy guy at WR He mentioned that Judy was available at the trade deadline last season with no takers. Interesting

OT is a definite need, after that CB and DT are equal in my eyes. A wide-body DT to go alongside Barmore increases the ability of the front to get pressure/disrupt the pocket. This takes pressure off the secondary, so it's a win.

If that DT isn't available, and a lock-down prospect is there, then the secondary gets better and can deal with less pressure. Win.

Mix in a couple receivers to compete, and a flexible guard/center and another project OT, and the draft should be a good one. Would be even better if a cover LB fell into our laps as well.

OT is a definite need, after that CB and DT are equal in my eyes. A wide-body DT to go alongside Barmore increases the ability of the front to get pressure/disrupt the pocket. This takes pressure off the secondary, so it's a win.

If that DT isn't available, and a lock-down prospect is there, then the secondary gets better and can deal with less pressure. Win.

Mix in a couple receivers to compete, and a flexible guard/center and another project OT, and the draft should be a good one. Would be even better if a cover LB fell into our laps as well.
I agree on the C. In a lot of mocks I saw, there was a C from Wisconsin that was available in the 4th - 6th rounds. That would be a good time to add a future prospect for the AFTER David Andrews era.

I disagree with a lot of the picks but you can’t do a mock draft of the Pats without trading up and down several times.

Unless OC coach AK is able to light a fire under Trent Brown’s indulgent behind, the idea of another year of lackadaisical LT play makes most ardent Patriots fans wince.

That’s the fatal weakness of this mock. Otherwise, it’s very well considered.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back