PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Devin McCourty To Hold Off On Retirement, Plans To Play Football Next Season

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Devin McCourty To Hold Off On Retirement, Plans To Play Football Next Season
Robert Alvarez
Devin McCourty tells WEEI's The Greg Hill Show on Thursday that he intends to play football for the Patriots in 2020.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

This is great news, because it will allow Belichick to drop FS down his list of offseason needs. Having the veteran presence of McCourty for another year will also help the kids like Dugger/Jackson/Jones/Williams/Bryant to mature and gel if the team does decide to move Gilmore.

This team is in full rebuild mode. Paying this much money to a guy who won't be on the team in 2022 is a waste of cap space.

The team wants to win. Some posters want to lose. This has been the case in lots of years.

McCourty will be paid $7.5M for his 2021 services. This is a huge bargain.

This team is in full rebuild mode. Paying this much money to a guy who won't be on the team in 2022 is a waste of cap space.

Bargain? According to Miguel, his 2021 cap number is $11.15M. That doesn't include three phony years tacked on the end of the contract to spread out the $10.75M in bonus he was paid last year. Assuming he plays in 2021 and then retires, there will still be a $6.45M cap hit in 2022. This was a horrible contract.

Bargain? According to Miguel, his 2021 cap number is $11.15M. That doesn't include three phony years tacked on the end of the contract to spread out the $10.75M in bonus he was paid last year. Assuming he plays in 2021 and then retires, there will still be a $6.45M cap hit in 2022. This was a horrible contract.
I really don't know much about how that numbers work, but I would think that the Patriots could re work those numbers to make it more cap friendly. Having him back for another year would be fantastic. We have other areas that require immediate attention .

Are you aware of how good McCourty is and how much comparable players around the league at his position are paid?

I hope the McCourty's aren't a package deal. I wouldn't mind Devin back but Jason is toast.

We have a lot of cap space next year. I think it’s worth keeping him for one more year.

Chung and his brother Jason are another story. Think it’s time to move on from them.

We still need to draft a FS apprentice as Devin is almost done as a player

Are you aware of how good McCourty is and how much comparable players around the league at his position are paid?
Yes, I am. According to Miguel, his contract ranks 6th out of 203 safeties in the league.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back