PatsFans.com - Mobile
PatsFans.com
Search

NEW ARTICLE: Devin McCourty To Hold Off On Retirement, Plans To Play Football Next Season

2020 Patriots Season:
Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: N/A

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

stinkypete

In the Starting Line-Up
This is great news, because it will allow Belichick to drop FS down his list of offseason needs. Having the veteran presence of McCourty for another year will also help the kids like Dugger/Jackson/Jones/Williams/Bryant to mature and gel if the team does decide to move Gilmore.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
This team is in full rebuild mode. Paying this much money to a guy who won't be on the team in 2022 is a waste of cap space.

Spiral

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Bargain? According to Miguel, his 2021 cap number is $11.15M. That doesn't include three phony years tacked on the end of the contract to spread out the $10.75M in bonus he was paid last year. Assuming he plays in 2021 and then retires, there will still be a $6.45M cap hit in 2022. This was a horrible contract.

Foxypats

Pro Bowl Player
Bargain? According to Miguel, his 2021 cap number is $11.15M. That doesn't include three phony years tacked on the end of the contract to spread out the $10.75M in bonus he was paid last year. Assuming he plays in 2021 and then retires, there will still be a $6.45M cap hit in 2022. This was a horrible contract.
I really don't know much about how that numbers work, but I would think that the Patriots could re work those numbers to make it more cap friendly. Having him back for another year would be fantastic. We have other areas that require immediate attention .

Elijah

The Tom Brady Of Not Having A Gf
PatsFans.com Supporter

Are you aware of how good McCourty is and how much comparable players around the league at his position are paid?

203Pat

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
I hope the McCourty's aren't a package deal. I wouldn't mind Devin back but Jason is toast.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
We have a lot of cap space next year. I think it’s worth keeping him for one more year.

Chung and his brother Jason are another story. Think it’s time to move on from them.