PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Never realized Adalius had such a big mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what Goddell said: "As it relates to one other aspect of it, and I'll reinforce this point, which I have before, they are being paid for the preseason games," said the commissioner. "It's all part of our total gross revenue, and it's calculated up and they get a percentage of that. They might not get a check cut during that week, but that is how they're paid and those revenues are part of that."
The switch to 18 games is about increasing revenue.
All I said was that Goodell did not say anything in his new conference about increasing revenue...which he did not. He spoke of the "wuality of the game"..which I fuess you did not hear. Of course he spun in that way?? THAT was the dumbest thing I have heard from ANY Commissioner of any league...If that he how he spun it..THOSE who actiually listened and heard his words would not think he was all that smart. While that may be true about revenue that was not mentioned by him, which you may a non correct inference to.

Last edited:
Anyone who says it's like asking you to work 6 days a week is totally wrong.

Why?

Because they're already at work for that 6th day. Depending on what the coaches ask of them, they do different things from a 'regular' day, but they're still there. If the coaches ask them to get on the field then they get on the field and 'work'. If the coaches asked them to be on the field for 60 minutes they would be on the field for 60 minutes.

I don't do the same thing every day. Some days are full of meetings, some days are full of designing, some days are full of debugging, and so forth and so forth. A meeting doesn't take the same mental power compared to designing something. Debugging a problem with a tight deadline is the most strenuos situation there is. Yet, I don't get paid differently per the amount of time I spend in a meeting or fixing a critical issue.

The players are already there, and are supposed to play when the coach tells them to play. They are NOT playing an extra game.

The players are already there, and are supposed to play when the coach tells them to play. They are NOT playing an extra game.
Firstly..this is all spelled out in the CBA about how many regular season games a player can play in..so IT IS an extra game. There are many things players can do an dnot do...again spelled out by that.

Firstly..this is all spelled out in the CBA about how many regular season games a player can play in..so IT IS an extra game. There are many things players can do an dnot do...again spelled out by that.

You're right. My only point is that this situation is not the same as working a 6th day in a week. They would be playing an extra one or two regular season games, but not any extra games.

Last edited:

Why?

Because they're already at work for that 6th day.

It's more like you already work 5 1/2 days and they are now asking you to work 6 full days without any change in pay.

I'll never understand why people side with the rich owners in every single one of these debates.

It's more like you already work 5 1/2 days and they are now asking you to work 6 full days without any change in pay.

I'll never understand why people side with the rich owners in every single one of these debates.
It's because many people think these players should consider themselves so lucky to be playing a game for a living and being idolized by millions that they should be willing to do it for peanuts and be thankful they're getting those peanuts.

Why?

Because they're already at work for that 6th day. Depending on what the coaches ask of them, they do different things from a 'regular' day, but they're still there. If the coaches ask them to get on the field then they get on the field and 'work'. If the coaches asked them to be on the field for 60 minutes they would be on the field for 60 minutes.

I don't do the same thing every day. Some days are full of meetings, some days are full of designing, some days are full of debugging, and so forth and so forth. A meeting doesn't take the same mental power compared to designing something. Debugging a problem with a tight deadline is the most strenuos situation there is. Yet, I don't get paid differently per the amount of time I spend in a meeting or fixing a critical issue.

Where do you work? I personally find debugging to be good stress :p

It's because many people think these players should consider themselves so lucky to be playing a game for a living and being idolized by millions that they should be willing to do it for peanuts and be thankful they're getting those peanuts.
I agree with your points about the salary of players,,but GIVEN all that..the owners are trying to add to a regular season which is more wear and tear on players.. The difference betweeb a regular season game (which means something) and a preseason game that is used not only to get players ready but to evaluate talent. (that basiclly games that mean zip in the standings.)

Why shouldn't the players have the same attitude? Why should the league make extra money for adding weeks to the season, but expect the players to honor their same contracts eventhough they have to play two extra weeks?

The salary cap is based on league revenue. If the league makes more money, so do the players. IE, if 2 more games add 10% to revenue, the cap goes up 10% more than it was going to.

Give them an extra Bye during the season, and it may actually be less wear and tear.

Last edited:

How's that different from real life? I work on salary... when the boss needs me to come in on the weekend because something crashed, I come in on the weekend.

Please don't misunderstand me. I think that if 2 regular season games are added, each player's salary should be divided by 16 and each salary should be increased by 2 times that amount. I spent the last 30 of my 34 year working career in management and before moving to a management position I was a union official, so I have had experience on both sides of the aisle, so to speak. Goodel's assertion that the players already get paid for a 20 game season is misleading, disingenuous and insulting. Then again, I wouldn't have expected anything less from him.

How's that different from real life? I work on salary... when the boss needs me to come in on the weekend because something crashed, I come in on the weekend.

Do you have a CBA? Are you union? Apples and oranges.

The salary cap is based on league revenue. If the league makes more money, so do the players. IE, if 2 more games add 10% to revenue, the cap goes up 10% more than it was going to.

Give them an extra Bye during the season, and it may actually be less wear and tear.

This has absolutely no application to contracts that were signed before the regular season is extended because those contracts were drawn up with the projected revenue of a 16 game regular season considered in agreement.

NFL football players are not salaried employees, they are given a per game check. I'm a salaried employee too. I got an idea from my employer about how many weekends a year I should expect to work before I started. If they suddenly increased that number by 15% I'd either way to be compensated more or I'd start looking elsewhere for employment. NFL players do not have the luxury of the latter, unfortunately.

It would also help when you consider that most NFL players last 3-5 years and do not rake in the huge dollars. Adding an 1/8th to the regular season means more full-speed, full-contact play and the inevitable injury risk that players who are not making billions of dollars a year should be compensated for.

Read Grapes of Wrath sometime, it's leftist propaganda but ************ you need to come a little over from being to the right of Atilla the Hun like you are now.

Someone obviously was asking some questions about things he's passionate about. The players will get steamrolled by the corporate mentality of the NFL without players thinking for themselves. The NFL is a business and AD's livelihood is his business. He has a right to speak his mind about it. He has paid the dues to become a millionaire. He has a right to have an opinion on this.

I get tired of people who think just because players get paid in millions that they can't have opinions about money. Until you get rich yourself and have walked in those shoes, you don't have any idea what you're talking about anyway. Money doesn't solve financial problems, it creates financial problems.

I get tired of people who think just because players get paid in millions that they can't have opinions about money. Until you get rich yourself and have walked in those shoes, you don't have any idea what you're talking about anyway. Money doesn't solve financial problems, it creates financial problems.

You may be right, and I'm willing to be the guinea pig. Send me $10 million dollars and lets put this to the test.;)

Last edited:
I hope they never expand to more than what it is now, 16 games is perfect, 18 is stretching it, and will probably make the playoffs less admirable due to more injuries.

BUT, the biggest reason as to why this is a stupid idea is because now all the past records, both team and player, become statistics with asterisks next to them which sucks. Leave it as is, obviosuly this is a money move and does nothing to perfect the game other than to sell a few more tickets.

I hope they never expand to more than what it is now, 16 games is perfect, 18 is stretching it, and will probably make the playoffs less admirable due to more injuries.

BUT, the biggest reason as to why this is a stupid idea is because now all the past records, both team and player, become statistics with asterisks next to them which sucks. Leave it as is, obviosuly this is a money move and does nothing to perfect the game other than to sell a few more tickets.
While money is part of it all...Goodell insisted it was all about "quality"...and he said that numerous times. If he had mentioned MORE money with an expanded season, that would have made a lot of sense...but thhat was not mentioned by him. Yes..30 years of records will now be history...but Goodell is looking past that to neutral sites and interenational games and with two more games of meaning, that is quite a bit more wear and tear on players. Throw in more travel and I think the quality of the games goes down...NOT UP!! They will also have to solve the talent evaluation and developmental questions...so??

That was good reading. He was very articulate and his comments were well-reasoned.

My view is that 16 games are enough to identify the good teams and weed out the bad ones (the Pats' not making the Playoffs last year at 11--5 was enough of an anomaly to be the subject of much discussion). As AT points out, it also leaves players with something in the tank for the Playoffs. I am also very sympathetic with the sentiment he expresses when he suggests that he would be "injured" for two games if they went to 18.

I also doubt that the Networks will be willing to pony up proportionately more money for two more games, given how rich the current contract is, especially in this economy.

For me, the season is long enough that teams get fairly tested but short enough that the Playoffs aren't played by "dead men walking" and we're all left wanting a little more when the SB is over, unlike the NBA and MLB seasons that drag on too long and/or start too soon. I always feel that both of those leagues could lose a whole month of their schedule with no dropoff in fan interest or the quality of their products.

This has absolutely no application to contracts that were signed before the regular season is extended because those contracts were drawn up with the projected revenue of a 16 game regular season considered in agreement..

Are you sure of that? I'm pretty sure that players make a game check, and increasing the amount of games would increase the number of game checks.

Now, it depends on the whether the wordings are "1/16 of salary each game" or "$500K per game".

Miguel, do you know how these thigns are worded?

I'd either way to be compensated more or I'd start looking elsewhere for employment. NFL players do not have the luxury of the latter, unfortunately.

Yes they do. Just not in the NFL. The CFL, AFL, Etc, are all viable alternatives.

I don't think I've ever seen me as being called "rightist", let alone way right of anyone. I'm thoroughly entrenched in the left.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots