PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Never realized Adalius had such a big mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible thread title BTW. AD is completely right, if the NFL wants more games you need to pay the players more. It's completely irrelevant that they make a lot of money already. It's a business and if the NFL wants more games for increased revenue then they need to pay more as well. I don't know how you could actually take the opposite side on this argument, it's completely illogical.

Integrity is consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations and outcome................your welcome.
As Jack said...you are great with copy and paste...but how does that relate to AD??? You brought that up...sorry but I do not get that at all...

Last edited:
I agree with him, like others have pointed out.

Players make the league what it is, in the most popular sport in the country. Football players have it the worst when it comes to money, however. In a league when even stars can sign contracts for $100 million, but realistically only see half of it because they're just flat out released a few seasons later, I don't blame him for complaining about the league extending the regular season.

I think the point is that existing contracts should get a pro-rated revenue increase if there are more regular season games and higher TV revenues and that this should be negotiated by the union on a league-wide basis. I think that this position would find a ton of support (as it already has in this thread). Goodell's use of semantics to bypass this point is misleading at best (even if there's an argument that he is technically accurate).

I get your point and it sounds logical, but there are complications when you put it into actual practice. Do you count just salary? That would seem too low for a lot of players who get most of their money through bonuses. Do you count cap hit? That may require teams to come up with new money for players that may have received huge signing bonuses years earlier. Do the increases carry over to all remaining years on a contract? Is the money guaranteed? I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer.

I get your point and it sounds logical, but there are complications when you put it into actual practice. Do you count just salary? That would seem too low for a lot of players who get most of their money through bonuses. Do you count cap hit? That may require teams to come up with new money for players that may have received huge signing bonuses years earlier. Do the increases carry over to all remaining years on a contract? Is the money guaranteed? I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer.

I don't have all the answers, but a simple starting point would be to increase every unpaid amount by a set percentage (say 7%). So you don't get any increase from money already paid (i.e. pro-rated signing bonuses), but you do get paid more for all future monies earned.

Last edited:
Horrible thread title BTW. AD is completely right, if the NFL wants more games you need to pay the players more. It's completely irrelevant that they make a lot of money already. It's a business and if the NFL wants more games for increased revenue then they need to pay more as well. I don't know how you could actually take the opposite side on this argument, it's completely illogical.

Of course no one is taking the opposite side of the argument. Thomas is arguing against something that doesn't exist.

No one is saying the players would not get paid more with an 18 game regular season. Everyone agrees it would mean more revenue to the NFL and the players pay is based on that revenue. They get a percentage, the more revenue, the bigger their take.

Last edited:
Of course no one is taking the opposite side of the argument. Thomas is arguing against something that doesn't exist.
Actually while it does not exist as it's a 16 game season, Goodell has stated that the players salary is based on 20 games..he stated that numerous times in his press conference..not ONCE did he mention anything about about more money for players with an 18 game schedule..only shifting games from preseason to regular season...SO..AD was reacting to those words by Goodell..I guess you missed the press conference..and Goodell's dumb words..

Last edited:
Goodell's posturing on behalf of the owners in advance of labor negotiations, threatening to add another regular season game while keeping the pay the same.

Thomas is posturing on behalf of the players.

What's the big deal?

Last edited:
The NFL commissioner is the owners representative? That's news to me.

Wow, Wildo.

The answer is yes. This is news to you?

I wouldn't call it a big mouth. What he said completely made sense to me and to be honest I never looked at it that way. That is the most legitimate gripe {complaint} I've heard out of a player in awhile.

The schedule is perfect now and way it is made up is beautifully symmetrical. Goodell is a ****head for wanting to screw up a good thing. Lemme guess, he wants to add more playoff teams too so the playoffs can end up being a bore like the NBA & NHL.

NFL is completely out of touch with reality these days, they are due for a rude awakening.

No one is saying the players would not get paid more with an 18 game regular season. Everyone agrees it would mean more revenue to the NFL and the players pay is based on that revenue. They get a percentage, the more revenue, the bigger their take.

From the story:

who also dismissed commissioner Roger Goodell's assertion that players are already getting paid for playing a 20-game season.

That is what we're talking about, the fact that Goodell is basically saying the pay structure shouldn't change.

That is what we're talking about, the fact that Goodell is basically saying the pay structure shouldn't change.

AD was reacting to those words by Goodell..I guess you missed the press conference..and Goodell's dumb words..

Here is what Goddell said:

"As it relates to one other aspect of it, and I'll reinforce this point, which I have before, they are being paid for the preseason games," said the commissioner. "It's all part of our total gross revenue, and it's calculated up and they get a percentage of that. They might not get a check cut during that week, but that is how they're paid and those revenues are part of that."

The switch to 18 games is about increasing revenue. Unless you think that 2 more regular season games doesn't increase revenue, then how do you make the argument the owners aren't going to pay the players more $ for 18 games than they do for 16 games? Depending on whether you take managements number or the NFLPA's the percentage of their take is 55-60%. So over 55% of the extra revenue the 2 regular season games is used to increase the cap and goes into the players pocket.

If the 18 games were agreed on and Thomas and the other players feel that increase to the cap should be equally divided among them, their union can collectively bargain to add it to existing contracts. That probably won't happen because the big agents who run the union will want that increase to be available to be spent on unrestricted free agents.

Last edited:
The schedule is perfect now and way it is made up is beautifully symmetrical. Goodell is a ****head for wanting to screw up a good thing. Lemme guess, he wants to add more playoff teams too so the playoffs can end up being a bore like the NBA & NHL.

NFL is completely out of touch with reality these days, they are due for a rude awakening.

You don't want to see more regular season games? If so, you are in the minority, it seems to me. 16 regular season games isn't that many, and there is no need for 4 preseason games. It makes perfectly logical sense to me to expand the regular season and shorten the preseason.

If you like something, you want to see more of it, no?

I would like to keep it at 16 regular season games AND the prices for the preseason games go down. If fans have to pay a premium for post-season games, then they should get a discount for preseason games.

I would like to keep it at 16 regular season games AND the prices for the preseason games go down. If fans have to pay a premium for post-season games, then they should get a discount for preseason games.

In a perfect world, that is the answer. I think that would get near 100% approval from fans of the sport.

I think it is also the only thing in this debate that every player and every owner could agree they oppose 100%.

The switch to 18 games is about increasing revenue.
Actually he said the 18 game schedule was to impprove the quality of the game..meaning that preseason games were not quality games..(which I do not think any one with any knowledge of the game would believe. ) He mentioned that a few times..not sure Goodell ever made the point of increasing revenue with extra games. HWat you are quuting Goodell is how the revenue is accumultaed and a bit on its dispersement. Where was the point that he directly talked about revenue and teh 18 games?? It was about quality and the NFL brand that he talked about.

In a perfect world, that is the answer. I think that would get near 100% approval from fans of the sport.

I think it is also the only thing in this debate that every player and every owner could agree they oppose 100%.

I can't see why a player would be opposed to it. It is not like the owners have been spending cash over cap the past few years. So even if there was less revenue stream I doubt that it would affect the player's actual cash intake at all.

Im confused a part from risking injuries wouldn't players want an extra two games as long as the NFL pays them.

Actually he said the 18 game schedule was to impprove the quality of the game..meaning that preseason games were not quality games..(which I do not think any one with any knowledge of the game would believe. ) He mentioned that a few times..not sure Goodell ever made the point of increasing revenue with extra games. HWat you are quuting Goodell is how the revenue is accumultaed and a bit on its dispersement. Where was the point that he directly talked about revenue and teh 18 games?? It was about quality and the NFL brand that he talked about.

So you mean he didn't right come out and say our goal in moving to 18 regular season games is to take more $ from TV and more $ from the fans so that we the owners can make more profits?

Of course he spun it that way. The whole purpose of airing your side of a negotiation in public is to get the public on your side. That probably won't happen if you tell them your goal is to reach deeper into their pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back