PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Nelson Agholor

I didn't like that drop last game, but I think he has been fine. He would probably shine if we had better oline play. I wonder what our record would be if Trent Brown was never injured?

Won't judge him till we see him targeted down field a few times

I don’t have a big gripe with this signing, to be honest. I posted a screenshot in the Mac thread of a play where he’s open behind the defense and the ball comes in short. His specialty is big plays downfield which is not a priority for Jones thus far. He has adapted with inside routes and has been pretty reliable when thrown to.

Does anyone realize that Trent Brown costs $9-11M? J. Smith is 12.5M.

At worst, they got a pretty good receiver and paid a moderate premium, which you expect in free agency…he was expensive but they paid him closer to a top a #2 than a #1. That isn’t some monumental failure like Brown and Smith, two guys who shouldn‘t be on an NFL roster and whose measly production could be replaced immediately with draft picks.
Are you really arguing that Jonnu Smith doesn't belong on an NFL roster?

Agholor is being targeted 5 times a game - 30 targets.
Henry is being targeted less with 28.
Smith is being targeted less with 25.
Bourne is being targeted less with 24.

Meyers is being targeted the most with 52. Meyers is playing the slot. They're being careful with Mac, or he's being careful with quick reads/checkdowns, particularly with the OL problems. It's pretty obvious what's going on here.

So yes, by all means, let's eat 12 or 10 or whatever million in dead money and cut Agholor. He dropped that pass!
Let's eat the contract of the best YAC guy on the team in Smith because he had an awful game! (Watch the 9 yards he got on that bubble screen - he's probably the only guy not named JJ Taylor or Damien Harris on the team who could do that.)

But Meyers would never drop a big pass....errr...but, I mean, he gets into the end zone all the...umm.

Pretend the Pats had gone out and grabbed Davis (I think I would have preferred him, personally, but he was more expensive) or Golloday (almost twice the money) or whomever instead of Agholor - how many targets do you think that guy would have seen to date?

Meyers is being targeted the most with 52. Meyers is playing the slot. They're being careful with Mac, or he's being careful with quick reads/checkdowns, particularly with the OL problems. It's pretty obvious what's going on here.

So yes, by all means, let's eat 12 or 10 or whatever million in dead money and cut Agholor. He dropped that pass!
Let's eat the contract of the best YAC guy on the team in Smith because he had an awful game! (Watch the 9 yards he got on that bubble screen - he's probably the only guy not named JJ Taylor or Damien Harris on the team who could do that.)

But Meyers would never drop a big pass....errr...but, I mean, he gets into the end zone all the...umm.

Pretend the Pats had gone out and grabbed Davis (I think I would have preferred him, personally, but he was more expensive) or Golloday (almost twice the money) or whomever instead of Agholor - how many targets do you think that guy would have seen to date?

Corey Davis was signed for more money, but not that much more money. He's taller and bigger than Agholor. His hands are exceptionally better than Nelson's. Davis is also a very good route runner and not just a one trick pony. I think the extra money would have been well worth it.

I expect Davis would have gotten maybe 2 more targets per game than Agholor, but he would have done a lot more with them and definitely wouldn't have dropped a game winning catch.

Corey Davis was signed for more money, but not that much more money. He's taller and bigger than Agholor. His hands are exceptionally better than Nelson's. Davis is also a very good route runner and not just a one trick pony. I think the extra money would have been well worth it.

I expect Davis would have gotten maybe 2 more targets per game than Agholor, but he would have done a lot more with them and definitely wouldn't have dropped a game winning catch.
Eliminating the last year of Davis's deal (which is mostly salary), Davis gets about 4 million more over the two years than Agholor - so not that much, really. I'm not going to disagree with you on Davis looks like the better player - but that last part is just ridiculous. Good receivers drop balls. Davis had two big drops alone against Tennessee this year.

I would have preferred him UNLESS the Pats were looking for someone to take the top off repeatedly - which they're not yet doing with Agholor. If they're going to use Agholor the way the Eagles did, then yeah, pay Davis the extra couple and get it done.

Did someone suggest we should cut this guy?

What do you expect with rotating linemen? theyre making changes midgame based on performance. How can agalor go deep if the line cant hold up?
Agree. Unfortunately, the drops issue isn't going away and if the line is only good enough to allow maybe 1 or 2 shots to him a game, and he drops 1, well.. obviously looks pretty ****ty. Still think it comes back to needing the OL to improve. If they do, and he gets more chances and can get in a rhythm I think he'll look better. Still, finding an upgrade would be preferred.

Comments:

a.) R-E-L-A-X....

b.) Agholor isn't on this list (Jonnu Smith is, BTW): NFL Leaders - Pass Dropped | NBCSports

c.) 17 receptions on 30 attempts over 6 games isn't enough of a sample size to judge.

d.) When Mac starts to throw deep with regularity....we should see better numbers.

e.) 11 million is PENNIES FOR A WR these days!!! See link: Wide Receiver Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

f.) 11 million will become SMALLER AND SMALLER every year forward in which WR's get new deals and the cap rises....

They talking about getting out of his contract next year and eating the money.

First post in the thread, and a couple more on Page 1.
Over It Eye Roll GIF by Friends

Cut next year, Trade, etc. Find Mac a Cee Dee Lamb!!!
2021 Wide Receiver Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Not an albatross contract.

He had 48 catches for 896 yards and 8 td's last year averaging 18 yards per catch. Maybe its the offense.

As far as Drops. Not sure that is the issue, as the pats are pretty good there.

He had 48 catches for 896 yards and 8 td's last year averaging 18 yards per catch. Maybe its the offense.

As far as Drops. Not sure that is the issue, as the pats are pretty good there.

We also aren't throwing deep because the OL sucks and Mac has people in his face within 2 seconds.

They paid way too much money for a guy who got so much production out of deep balls in broken plays last year. He's not a 18 yards per catch outside receiver, his numbers so far are in line with what he produced in Philly when he was a disappointing complimentary piece. Never understood the signing and think he's a square peg in this offense.

He's priced in the middle class, let's see if he produces in the middle class. We look to be married to him for 2 years, as he's part of that "spend while the spending's good" movement. Cutting him would be prohibitive. Finding someone who thinks he's worth his contract -- and would buy the contract and the player -- well that narrows it down to (A) his former employer, if they just miss him to pieces, or
(B) whoever, but only if his production ultimately justifies the contract.

I don't think they start trying to basically pay teams to take him after 6 weeks of the season, because they are not 12. What's wrong? Picked him up in fantasy? :D

I don't think 6 games and we know what we've got with no doubt. I'd say yeah, it's frustrating that Agholor drops the ball. He always has. He's also always gotten open, and has sometimes put together decent seasons by doing so.

Here are the comps for receiver contracts. Scroll down to 29. $16m guarantee over 2 years, possible compensation up to $24M. About 1/4 the price of the top guys, 1/2 the price of the budget "true number 1s."

Yawl like to say "He's not worth THAT MUCH MONEY" without looking at the comps.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back