PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NBA Draft - Trades - Free Agents

Ok.I am not talking about Westbrook as a "cancer" in the locker room or being unfriendly like Irving seems to be. What is his biggest advantage - ambition and eagerness to win at all cost very often turns out to be his nightmare. I've been watching OKC games regularly and trust me there is nothing more frustrating than Russ wants to be a hero at the end of the 4th quarter. And that is what I am talking about - he makes bad decisions and feeds his ego that is why very often OKC lost many games.Of course it could be a consequence of lack of support but it does not change the fact - Russ is selfish and I am afraid it will not change at all even if he changes the surrounding IMO. Do not get me wrong,he is a great player as a unit but basketball is a team effort.

Certainly I would agree that his tendency to go "hero ball" is frustrating, just as it used to be with Kobe Bryant. Sometimes you need that type of "heat check" guy, I recall the 2008 Olympic game against Spain where Spain got ahead and suddenly nobody wanted to shoot the ball (including guys like Lebron), and late in the game Kobe went "hero ball" mode and he came though. The US would never would have one without Kobe's successful heroball effort.

The problem is that those type of players like Westbrook and Kobe have difficulty knowing when to go hero ball and when to get their teammates involved. The great ones like Bird, Magic, MJ (at least with Pippin's help), Duncan and (reluctantly) probably Lebron (at least later in life) developed the ability to raise the game of team mates.

Westbrook 100% effort probably helps motivate his team mates some but he isn't very good at getting them involved. Irving managed to pull off the rare feat of actually significantly lowering the game of his teammates.

Sorry to blow a fuse by your comparison of Westbrook to Irving, I'm afraid that Irving is currently my least favorite NBA player and it isn't close.

Westbrook drives me a bit crazy also and he is flawed (I wish he could have worked more seamlessly with Durant), but at least he always goes 100%. He always tries hard.

If I was suddenly magically given the talent to play in the freaking NBA, I would do that for free (or maybe room and board) in a second with a song in my heart and a skip to my step. What a dream come true! And Irving is being paid $20M to play in the NBA can't be bothered to give a sh*t and try hard in a NBA playoff series for the Celtics that gave him so many chances to succeed. :mad:

Logically, there’s no way Philadelphia isn’t in the eastern conference finals… Then why do I have this feeling they won’t be?

Logically, there’s no way Philadelphia isn’t in the eastern conference finals… Then why do I have this feeling they won’t be?

If the 76ers aren't in the finals, it may be because they forgot about some basketball positions that some other teams have that they might have overlooked: ;)

What is Guard?
The generic term for one of three player positions in basketball that specializes in shooting and ball handling.

There are two main types of guards in basketball: the point guard, and the shooting guard. The point guard is usually a team's best ball handler and passer, and is also referred to as "the one." Point guards are typically the leader on the floor-they facilitate plays, manipulate the defense, and create shots either for themselves or as assists to other players on their team. A shooting guard specializes in shooting the basketball, especially in the area of mid-to-long-range shots, and also possesses similar skills to that of the point guard. It is often referred to as "the two." A third type of guard is really just a combination of the point guard and shooting guard; it is often referred to as a "combo guard." The guard position is often collectively referred to as the "backcourt."

Although their games were much different, the player that I think Westbrook resembles most is Kobe Bryant (who was never my favorite type of player because he suffered from many of the same deficiencies that Westbrook does). Westbrook has never reached Kobe's level of team achievement, and his talent may be a bit less, but not that much. After all, Westbrook won the NBA regular season MVP award only two years back in 2017, he has been the scoring champion twice, and he has been on the All NBA first team twice, second team five times, and third team one time.
Comparing Westbrook to Kobe Bryant is an insult to Kobe Bryant. Kobe could score on his opponents any way possible. Westbrook is a one trick pony and with his kamikaze playing style.

Let's look at Kobe's mind set:
  • A killer, always out to kill the enemy at all costs.
  • Never left anything out on the court (at least until he got old).
  • Always thought HE was the best person to achieve victory, regardless of how great his teammates were.
  • Always wanted to take the last shot.
  • Occasionally pissed off his teammates.
This is what got him 5 titles.

Kobe was much more skilled, a better passer, probably a better defender when he wanted to be, and a vastly better shooter and shot selector.
Kobe could defend anyone when he wanted to.

Westbrook is much stronger and prone to initiating collisions, probably faster,
Westbrook is faster and that’s it.

more determined
Is this a joke?

The problem is that those type of players like Westbrook and Kobe have difficulty knowing when to go hero ball and when to get their teammates involved. The great ones like Bird, Magic, MJ (at least with Pippin's help), Duncan and (reluctantly) probably Lebron (at least later in life) developed the ability to raise the game of team mates.
Really. Kobe’s way got him 5 titles. Mentioning Duncan as a great over Bryant is comical considering the Spurs were the Lakers b***h. LeBron “getting his teammates involved” got him a 3-6 finals record.

Edwards and Williams playing well ... as is Tacko.
Edwards (electric) and Williams (smart and strong) will get some time this year.
Yabusele blows and Edwards was lost.

Tacko is the skinniest 300 lber I've ever seen

Because they are overrated. Don’t let the kool aid drinkers fool you. The only caveat I have is Simmons finally learning how to shoot. If he does that, equation changes.

Cousins signed for 1 year, $3.5m

Because they are overrated. Don’t let the kool aid drinkers fool you. The only caveat I have is Simmons finally learning how to shoot. If he does that, equation changes.

Irony.jpg

Edwards and Williams playing well ... as is Tacko.
Edwards (electric) and Williams (smart and strong) will get some time this year.
Yabusele blows and Edwards was lost.

Edwards was lost and electric? Did you mean someone else was lost?

Yabu is gone....

Gwill
Fall
rwill - needs to do something about his jump shot
Edwards
Green

All looked good

I think the Lakers did very good with Green, Rondo, and the Cousins signings.

I wasn't too interested in having Cousins in Boston, but 1 year/3.5 is a steal for a center of that caliber.....

James, Davis, Cousins, Rondo, Green, Kuzma.....not too bad...feels like a 55+ win team barring injuries.

Edwards was lost and electric? Did you mean someone else was lost?

Yabu is gone....

Gwill
Fall
rwill - needs to do something about his jump shot
Edwards
Green

All looked good
Mistake ... Timelord was lost ... but did better 2nd quarter.
Love Edwards ... he will be a player in the league at some point.
Yabusele ... that is horrible ... 3rd year in the league and u suck in summer league.

Really. Kobe’s way got him 5 titles. Mentioning Duncan as a great over Bryant is comical considering the Spurs were the Lakers b***h. LeBron “getting his teammates involved” got him a 3-6 finals record.

You can have your opinion, which I respect, and I have mine. I happen to think you are wrong, but you think that of me, so there is a kind of happy symmetry in that. ;)

However, I am far from the only human being on this Earth that ranks Duncan above Kobe. I briefly checked: 1) Bill Simmons Book of Basketball, 2) ESPN’s top all time 100 NBA players, 3) CBS Sports top all time NBA players, 4) SLAM all time great players. Duncan was ranked well above Kobe on 3 of the 4 (SLAM was the one with Kobe ahead).

So: it’s arguable, I happen to think Duncan was greater because he was such a fabulous teammate, but others may disagree and that is fine. ;)

I know heinson is a legend, but he needs to go

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back