PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Myles Bryant

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Does Myles Bryant deserve his own thread? Yes Myles Bryant deserves it.

That play almost broke down the same as freakin' Plaxico and also 2006 v. Colts.

All out blitz and once again we can't get there in time.

Once again our DBs are exposed as multiple WRs break to the inside wide open.

And then there's just this 2nd year guy UDFA who decides to break off coverage and come back the other way.

I'm sure that's what Belichick expected but I was freaking out seeing that. PTSD.

In any ways, that was like a Malcolm Butler interception play, doing something the coaches taught you in practice, but doing it instinctively and flawlessly during the most crucial play of the game.

Unreal.

I don't like all out blitzes though. Never again. Never want to see my team get Ellis Hobbs'd again.

Underrated . But doing his job phenomenally well. Similar to the breakout seasons Bentley and JC Jackson had... A similar performing FA would set us back by 4-5 million a year.

That sideline personal foul against him was an awful call.

It was great seeing him be aware to come off his man at precisely the right time at the end there. 3 man route, 3 DBs, jailbreak blitz. Gutsy defensive play call, but giving more time for Allen to scramble around and chuck it would have been even more dangerous.

Last edited:
He's a legit slot corner/safety. Deserves playing time no matter who's healthy.

yeah, a lot of people are calling out that personal foul against Bryant. 15 yards for Playing Defense.

Made no sense. Allen wasn't technically out of bounds until he touched down. He was in the air when Bryant pushed him. Should have never been a flag. Glad he didn't let that get into his head.

Appreciate the thread topic. I was about to start a Myles Bryant thread of my own, but glad I saw yours before posting.

Do the really smart folks in the room think that this kid has an opportunity to be the next really good - to great undrafted FA CB the Pats have had in recent years? Appreciate your thoughts.

He's doing well. I'm glad we've had him step up to play some slot and safety with Jones and Duggar out.

I don't think blitzing was a bad idea, though. Nor do I think we left multiple WRs wide open. The secondary played really, really well last night. The only time I can think of a wide open player without pressure in the QB making him scramble -- that is, I don't care if someone runs free when the QB has no chance to actually attempt a pass -- is when Diggs got past Williams. I don't put that on JoeJuan, btw. McCourty was a touch late getting over there; the DBs were clearly squatting on routes and expecting passes closer to the sticks, while the deep safety needs to gets enough depth if a WR threatens beyond the zones.

Maybe I'm wrong and some of our more educated football minds can correct me, but I've seen a few posters say things like the OP: "Once again our DBs are exposed as multiple WRs break to the inside wide open." And, honestly, I'm just not seeing it. I think in aggregate, this is the best secondary in the NFL.

Appreciate the thread topic. I was about to start a Myles Bryant thread of my own, but glad I saw yours before posting.

Do the really smart folks in the room think that this kid has an opportunity to be the next really good - to great undrafted FA CB the Pats have had in recent years? Appreciate your thoughts.
I'm not one of those people, but I'll answer anyway. I say yes, but more like Jones than Butler or Jackson.

I'm not one of those people, but I'll answer anyway. I say yes, but more like Jones than Butler or Jackson.
Very funny and I agree (not about you not being one of those people LOL, but about his ceiling.)

I saw some people tweeting that Allen missed a wide open Cole Beasley, but they never mentioned he was only open after Allen had thrown the ball and Bryant peeled off of Beasley to make the game-saving play.

You asked for the smart folks, so let me know when they arrive.

Bryant was a really good prospect that just got overlooked. I'm sure his size had something to do with it. Also I don't think many understand the bubble teams and personnel are in draft weekend. It's a sprint and goes by quickly. I've long believed you can get caught up in it and not forget prospects but again it's easy to lose focus with shaping your board, keeping up who's taken, who's not, trades etc Every year I look at the udfa and just shake my head but there's so many prospects, so little spots available.

Idk about "great" but Myles can absolutely play in this league. I say that bc everything that rang true about him in college, all his strengths are shining next level. He was a little monster around the los, cutting off angles to the outside and played with no fear. Sometimes that worked against him. I remember Harry giving him the business on a few plays where Bryant was overmatched in terms of power but he's a pitbull with little fear. Plus instincts in coverage. He won't just play and stick to the assignment like a robot he'll peel off and make plays.

Agree with @jah in terms of overall play. Closer to Butler and Jones but let's not forget both of them are/were really good players. One of the best slot corners in the league in Jones and Butler was a legit top 15 CB for a short time.

yeah, a lot of people are calling out that personal foul against Bryant. 15 yards for Playing Defense.

Made no sense. Allen wasn't technically out of bounds until he touched down. He was in the air when Bryant pushed him. Should have never been a flag. Glad he didn't let that get into his head.
I'll always remember the 1997 playoff game against the Steelers when Kordell Stewart scored the only touchdown in a 7-6 Pittsburgh victory. He took a quarterback bootleg to the sideline and a Patriot defender didn't push him out of bounds because he thought Stewart's momentum would carry him out. Stewart then went down the sideline about 50 yards for the score.

Last edited:
He's a legit slot corner/safety. Deserves playing time no matter who's healthy.
If McCourty, Jackson, Mills, Phillips, Duggar, Jones are healthy there is no spot for Bryant.

I'll always remember the 1997 playoff game against the Steelers when Kordell Stewart scored the only touchdown in a 7-6 Pittsburgh victory. He took a quarterback bootleg to the sideline and a Patriot defender didn't push him out of bounds because he thought Stewart's momentum would carry him out. Stewart then went about 50 yards for the score.
Vrabel once made that same mistake

What bothered me most last night was that the flag came out very very late while the Buffalo sideline was jumping up and down going nuts

It's incredible how BB can pull elite DBs off the UDFA list - Malcolm Butler, JC Jackson, was Jon Jones one? And now Bryant. Now stop drafting CBs in the 1st or 2nd round, just get UDFA's.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back