PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My unexpected feelings about Newton.

UGAPatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So I have been on record as wanting to see Stidham moving forward...and I also don't believe Cam is "the guy" for next year. His game just isn't what it was, and we don't have the skill position talent to help him out.

BUT...

Reading the exchange today between Wiggins and Cam I admit to having a lot of respect for him. He shut down any talk of Josh being an issue pretty hard and kept it in-house.

Makes me honestly wish he WAS a better on-field talent because the leadership piece seems to be there.

Sure...he marches to his own drum, but clearly the guy is a leader and I respect the way he has handled himself.

Hes been saying all the right things and hes a very likeable guy imo. No doubt about it. Just wish it would have translated to better performance, he’s still failing everywhere that he needed to improve

I didn't want the Pats to sign Cam but when BB did I realized that most likely Stidham was not showing enough and BB had no other options.
He won me over right away in his first appearances. I really like the guy's quirky personality. My granddaughters want to see me adopt some of his outfits. Teens enjoy ridiculing their grandfather.
I especially love the fact that the players have embraced him as a leader.
Therefore, it's unexpectedly heartbreaking for me to see the guy I did not want initially, crater as our QB, given its effect on his team mates.

So I have been on record as wanting to see Stidham moving forward...and I also don't believe Cam is "the guy" for next year. His game just isn't what it was, and we don't have the skill position talent to help him out.

BUT...

Reading the exchange today between Wiggins and Cam I admit to having a lot of respect for him. He shut down any talk of Josh being an issue pretty hard and kept it in-house.

Makes me honestly wish he WAS a better on-field talent because the leadership piece seems to be there.

Sure...he marches to his own drum, but clearly the guy is a leader and I respect the way he has handled himself.
I like Cam too and wish he was mediocre enough to root for...but he is so bad, I just have to laugh at all the poor play, there is nothing else I can do...its absured.

BUT...

He is a wonderful person with an arthritic shoulder.

I honestly can’t stand the guy because I am basing it the only thing about him that means anything to me, how he plays football. He sucks. He causes the patriots to lose.
I am happy that he is a wonderful person but from my perspective he only exists for what he does on a football field, because the only reason I am even aware he exists is football.
The quality of person and character of people I interact with frequently is extremely important to me, but there are numerous good and bad people out in the world that I do not interact with.
With the guy who is determining whether the team I root for in football wins games or not I don’t really care which of those groups he came from.

Seems like a great guy. Seems unable to execute a drop back, find #1 target, decide if he’s open, if so, throw, if not find #2 target, etc. before pass rush arrives.
And 3) acknowledge a pass rush with any kind of pocket presence. Cam grew a bit on me after I spent a lot of time disliking his football personality. I still don't want him back, but I respect him and wish him well. Unfortunately, I don't see him improving going forward.

Cam physically looks fine, but he's always had mechanical issues with his throws as it always looks like he's throwing it in the dirt. His accuracy is getting worse. All I've heard is Hoyer is a really good dude as well. But when you're not getting it done, it's time to take a seat. Pats aren't making the playoffs so it's a good time to see what Stidum can do for a full game.

My criticisms of Cam are for purely about performance.

Definitely nothing for me to criticize in regards his character or the way he has carried himself on and off the field.
Same. The fact that they all rave about his leadership states to me that they really like this guy. It's unfortunate that he hasn't had a better season.

The quality of person and character of people I interact with frequently is extremely important to me, but there are numerous good and bad people out in the world that I do not interact with.
With the guy who is determining whether the team I root for in football wins games or not I don’t really care which of those groups he came from.
I agree that a "good guy" won't make me be willing to put up with bad play, but if the guy is a great player but a complete d-bag or sexual predator, etc. I do not root for them. I was so glad they cut bait with Hernandez as soon as he was discovered to be a "lost soul".

Last edited:
Maybe it's me getting older but I am more likely to enjoy a decent person fighting the good fight (to a point) than a great player who is a terrible human.

Example: I could not bring myself to pull for AB during the brief time he was here because it was clear the entire time he wasn't a good dude.

All that said, Cam def doesn't have "it" anymore...which makes me sad.

BUT...honestly, it makes me less sad watching him struggle with this offensive group than it would have watching TB12 struggle...and I believe he would have.

I agree that a "good guy" want make me willing to put up with bad play, but if the guy is a great player but a complete d-bag or sexual predator, etc. I do not root for them. I was so glad they cut bait with Hernandez as soon as he was discovered to be a "lost soul".
He’s going to be that guy whether he plays football for the patriots or not.
However, if I lived in the community I would probably feel differently.

He is a wonderful person with an arthritic shoulder.

My criticisms of Cam are for purely about performance.

Definitely nothing for me to criticize in regards his character or the way he has carried himself on and off the field.

Cam physically looks fine, but he's always had mechanical issues with his throws as it always looks like he's throwing it in the dirt. His accuracy is getting worse. All I've heard is Hoyer is a really good dude as well. But when you're not getting it done, it's time to take a seat. Pats aren't making the playoffs so it's a good time to see what Stidum can do for a full game.
just really makes me wonder if that shoulder really ever healed properly

Madden '21 player overall:

Dalton Keene - 66 OVR

Devin Asiasi - 66 OVR

Ryan Izzo - 65 OVR

Jakobi Meyers - 74 OVR

N'Keal Harry - 74 OVR

Damiere Byrd - 75 OVR

But, but, but, Cam, play better! Throw better Cam! Cam why can't you pass?

Those criticizing Cam .. are you serious? The Pats have not one receiver or TE that defenses have to game plan for ..

Bill knows this, its why Cam is still the starter, if Cam had a TE or WR worth a damn he'd be throwing for 300 yards regular.

Just look at the Madden '21 overalls of Patriots WR and TE again .. its absolutely pitiful.

You can't fairly judge Cam as a passer with this trash.

Same. The fact that they all rave about his leadership states to me that they really like this guy. It's unfortunate that he hasn't had a better season.
Statements about leadership appear to be of a similar stripe as statements about a plain girl's wonderful personality.

Madden '21 player overall:

Dalton Keene - 66 OVR

Devin Asiasi - 66 OVR

Ryan Izzo - 65 OVR

Jakobi Meyers - 74 OVR

N'Keal Harry - 74 OVR

Damiere Byrd - 75 OVR

But, but, but, Cam, play better! Throw better Cam! Cam why can't you pass?

Those criticizing Cam .. are you serious? The Pats have not one receiver or TE that defenses have to game plan for ..

Bill knows this, its why Cam is still the starter, if Cam had a TE or WR worth a damn he'd be throwing for 300 yards regular.

Just look at the Madden '21 overalls of Patriots WR and TE again .. its absolutely pitiful.

You can't fairly judge Cam as a passer with this trash.
It would be easier to take this seriously if Meyers and Harry didn't have the same rating :rolleyes:

So in summary at this point Cam Newton is basically a poor man's Tim Tebow :excited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back