PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts on the Draft So Far

- I was so happy when Detroit took Laken Tomlinson. I love the kid's smarts and character, and he seems strong and tough. But he has such slow feet. I just don't want that. He's only played RG, and his feet just don't seem what we need in a LG. We already have Cam Fleming. I just don't think Tomlinson is a 1st round talent, and I would have been upset to reach to fill a positional need. I'm not on the AJ Cann bandwagon for the same reason, and even less so with guys like Tre Jackson...

I am in complete, 100% agreement. If Marpet's not the choice at 64 and is unavailable at 96,
then I hope the choice is somebody like Mitch Morse, Jamil Douglas or Mark Glowinski as opposed
to the wide-bodied lead-foots like Jarvis Harrison, Donovan Smith or the FSU slobs.

I am in complete, 100% agreement. If Marpet's not the choice at 64 and is unavailable at 96,
then I hope the choice is somebody like Mitch Morse, Jamil Douglas or Mark Glowinski as opposed
to the wide-bodied lead-foots like Jarvis Harrison, Donovan Smith or the FSU slobs.

I've come to the conclusion with projecting guards to the Patriots. They'll never just draft a guy that can only play guard. Its either going to be a Tackle to Guard conversion (Mankins, Flemming) Or a guard that can also play center (Wendell, Connolly, Woody)

Guys like Aj Cann and Laken Tomlinson were never going to come here..

Could a team sign La’el Collins to an UDFA contract that rewards him with 1st or 2nd round money if he has no legal entanglements by a certain date?

Could a team sign La’el Collins to an UDFA contract that rewards him with 1st or 2nd round money if he has no legal entanglements by a certain date?

I don't think so, I believe teams can only sign players to minimum salary contracts with a signing bonuses pool of I think about $80k (miguel would be better able to answer this). So the most a team would be able to offer Collins is a minimum salary contract with the full $80k signing bonus, which would then make them unable to give any other UDFA's a signing bonus.

If the Pats are willing to try and sign him as an UDFA I don't see why they wouldn't use the #253 comp pick. If he does end up being implicated in the murder I don't think the perception would be any different as a 7th round pick or an UDFA, it would be a nightmare.

My quick initial take on the draft: it's about what I expected from BB, which is to say, there was a lot that was unexpected. Not what I would have done, but I never expect that to actually happen. By now I pretty much shrug it off, and wait to see how it all unfolds. No doubt some of the picks will turn out to be strokes of genius, and others will be duds. Only time will tell. BB will maximize the former, and move on from the latter, as usual: "The strong will survive. The other ones will fall off, and we’ll keep going.”

A few things seem clear:

1. This was a draft focused on the lines, which is what we all wanted prior to FA, and pretty much ignored the momentous hole at CB created 8 weeks ago. 4 of the 1st 5 players taken were OL or DL. Either BB didn't like the CB prospects available within reach, or he was happier than we've been with what the Pats have, or both.

2. There was a strong defensive emphasis on versatile front 7 players. It's interesting to consider some of the guys who BB passed up: Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Danielle Hunter, Marcus Hardison, Davis Tull, Anthony Chikillo, and many other guys who could have just as easily been considered fits.

3. Dave DeGuglielmo likes bigger road graders than Scar did.

4. BB was relatively happy with what he has at WR and RB, given that he ignored both positions in an incredibly deep and talented draft.

Most of the guys who I liked and who were available were bypassed. Some went off the board sooner than I wanted (Ali Marpet, DeAndre Smelter, Tray Walker); some lasted longer, and were ignored anyway (Marcus Hardison, TJ Clemmings, Jay Ajayi - medical may have played a major role with the latter 2).

Looking at the post-draft team and comparing it to 2014, I would say that OL, DL, LB and TE are stronger than a year ago; QB, WR and S are relatively unchanged; RB is slightly weaker, though deep; and CB is vastly weaker. Overall, there's no reason to assume that this team won't be reasonably competitive even though the division has gotten much tougher, or that BB is done yet.

Last edited:
My only regret is not taking Tevin Coleman at 64. Not only is he a much better prospect than Richards. He's at a position where he might even start. The fact that he ran for 2k yards at Indiana is a minor miracle. Oh well, it is what it is. I just think he didn't like the corners. And, is going to play more zone. Hopefully, create more turnovers.

My only regret is not taking Tevin Coleman at 64. Not only is he a much better prospect than Richards. He's at a position where he might even start. The fact that he ran for 2k yards at Indiana is a minor miracle. Oh well, it is what it is. I just think he didn't like the corners. And, is going to play more zone. Hopefully, create more turnovers.

I think Coleman might have been BPA at 64 (assuming injury issues for Clemmings and La'el Collins' situation), and would have added a really nice dimension to the offense. He was my #2 rated RB after Todd Gurley.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
Back