PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Patriots Big Board

Here is my "what players I think the Pats will/could have a shot at drafting" big board

DT: Austin Johnson/Javon Hargrave/Hassan Ridgeway/Jihad Ward/Sheldon Day/Willie Henry/Maliek Collins

CB/S*: Sean Davis/Artie Burns/Xavien Howard/Jalen Mills

CB*: Cyrus Jones/Zach Sanchez/Eric Murray/Will Redmond/KeiVarae Russell/Kalan Reed/James Bradberry

RB:Kennth Dixon/Jonathan Williams/Devontae Booker/CJ Prosise/Kenyan Drake

OT: Jerald Hawkins/Shon Coleman/Le'Raven Clark/Joe Haeg/Kyle Murphy

DE: Jonathan Bullard/Shilique Calhoun/Bronson Kaufusi/Charles Tapper

WR; Tyler Boyd/Michael Thomas/Sterling Sheppard/Rashard Higgins/Kolby Listenbee/Leonte Caroo

OLB: Deion Jones/Joshua Perry/Kyle Fackrell/Jordan Jenkins/Jaylon Smith/Yannick Ngakoue

ILB: Tyler Matakevich/Nick Kwiatkoski/Blak Martinez/Scooby Wright

G: Connor McGoven/Vadal Alexander

TE: Jerrell Adams/Nick Vanett

S*: Justin Simmons/Tyvis Powell/Miles Killebrew

*note- I have a CB/S group because I feel that the CB/S players have the versatility that maybe if it doesn't work out as a CB they could be moved to that Duron Harmon (assuming he leaves in free agency) role. I would prefer the Pats pick someone from the CB/S over the players listed as CB and S.

Last edited:
My Final (And Limited) Big Board
I am limiting this to the prospects I either like or I think the Patriots could draft. This isn’t meant to be a predictive big board as such, just who I would take at each level of the draft if I was GM.

Trade Up (Would Give Up a 3rd)
  1. Jonathan Bullard
  2. Jason Spriggs
  3. Chris Jones
I love Jonathan Bullard as a fit for the Pats. Outstanding as run stopper and has the quickness off the snap to disrupt in the pass game. Spriggs is an athlete at LT. I don’t love his game, but then none of the potentially available OTs have games I love. Still, there’s no doubting that Spriggs’ upside is as a starting LT. Chris Jones has tremendous upside as a 5-tech and 3-tech. He could develop as a genuine penetrator at either ‘techs’.

2nd Round
  1. Sterling Shepard
  2. Le’Raven Clark
  3. Hassan Ridgeway
  4. Jonathan Williams
  5. Braxton Miller
  6. Austin Johnson
  7. Derrick Henry
  8. Devontae Booker
  9. Kenneth Dixon
This is where I finally get to declare my love for some favourite prospects. I just can’t get away from the fact that Sterling Shepard, purely in terms of receiving skills, is arguably the best WR in the draft. He has certain disadvantages (height for one) that drop him in the draft but if any receiver in the draft can work with Brady early, I think it’s Shepard. If he works out in year one, he potentially makes Amendola expendable and in time, could be the long-term Edelman replacement. As for Braxton Miller, well I’ve said my piece more than once on him. If he hits his upside, I think he can be Antonio Brown good. But he does have some way to go to achieve that.

There’s no doubting Le’Raven Clark has issues as a blocker. But, there are very few built like him and the 2nd round is where BB has shown a willingness to take rare athletic specimens with 1st round traits but question marks. Give Clark a year under Dante and who know’s how good he might become with that size and length.

I’ve given Ridgeway the edge over Johnson because of how they fit the team. Johnson is a 1-tech, he’s an ideal replacement for when we lose Alan Branch but he doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher. Ridgeway, on the other hand, is someone I can see partnering Malcom Brown for a long time as a 3-tech to Brown’s 1.

I’ve been saying it all along, but I consider Jonathan Williams the 2nd best back in the draft. So it’s time to put up or shut up and rank him as such. When I watch Williams, I’m reminded of Marshawn Lynch. Can’t get a whole lot better than that. But in truth, I’d be absolutely fine with any of the RBs I’ve listed at this point, they all have something going for them. Henry is an explosive Blount, Dixon would be a great asset in the ’12’ offensive sets we’ll be running this year and Booker is a tremendous runner that PFF compares to Arian Foster. They are all excellent backs that I’d be delighted with.

Round Three
  1. Sean Davis
  2. Bronson Kaufusi
  3. Joe Haeg
  4. Javon Hargrave
  5. CJ Prosise
  6. Jihad Ward
  7. Cyrus Jones
  8. Jordan Jenkins
  9. Jordan Howard
I’m starting to get a little scared of Sean Davis; PFF had him with the worst QB rating against, of all the CBs available in this draft. There’s no denying his athleticism, his outstanding ability against the run and his occasionally very good play in man coverage, but he does have some rough tape. That’s why I’ve dropped him from the 2nd to 3rd.

I really like Kaufusi’s versatility and fit, both athletically and character-wise. As for Joe Haeg, I’m all in on Clark and Haeg as my two OT options. If we don’t get Clark in Rnd 2, then I’m taking Haeg in Rnd 3. I’m surprised that CBS have dropped Haeg to the 6th round this late in proceedings. Perhaps they’ve heard something. Nevertheless, Haeg is my preferred option at OT if we can’t get Clark.

Early Day 3
Hopefully we pick up at least one pick in round 4 and hopefully one in round 5 too.

1. Kevin Byard
  2. Kalan Reed
  3. Malcolm Mitchell
  4. Eric Murray
  5. Keivarae Russell
  6. Connor McGovern
  7. Justin Simmons.
Kevin Byard is one of the best safeties available to us in this draft that could replace Harmon long-term if they feel they need insurance against him leaving. Simmons is the other. Kalan Reed has been one of my favourite corners for a while and fits what the Pats look for in CBs. The fact that Nick Caserio worked him out testifies to that. Eric Murray and Keivarae Russell are good value at this point in the draft and McGovern is someone who can back up both the OG and OT positions.

Late Day 3
  1. Stephen Anderson
  2. Kevin Hogan
  3. Marquez North
  4. Taveze Calhoun
  5. Dean Lowry
  6. Devin Lucien
  7. Keenan Reynolds
  8. David Morgan II
  9. Kevin Peterson
  10. Frankie Williams (CB)
  11. Steven Daniels
  12. Chris Swain
  13. Dillon Lee (LB)
  14. Justin Zimmer (DT)
  15. David Hedelin (OT)
  16. Clay DeBord (OT)
  17. Vad Lee (QB)
45 total

I really like Stephen Anderson. Might not be much of a blocker as a TE but he gets open very quickly, a necessity in our offense. Bring him in to compete with AJ Derby. The first eight names in this group are all prospects I’d be delighted to get in the 6th round. The others are interesting UDFA types I’d be fine with in the 7th.

As I said, this isn’t meant to be a predictive big board. It’s just a list of the prospects that appeal to me in the form of a big board. There are players I’ve left off that perhaps I shouldn’t have, there are players left off that I think are good but just don’t match what I look for, and there are probably players left off that I’ve merely forgotten. These are merely the names I hope to see on the roster on Sunday and where I'd preferably take them.

Last edited:
The last prospect I've included above is James Madison QB Vad Lee. I only got on to him this weekend and I'm sneaky excited about him. For someone expected to be a UDFA at best, he reads the full field as a passer, has some real athleticism as a runner (really nice hips and excellent burst) as well as power and has that Russell Wilson ability to create on broken plays. On the downside, whilst he does make some nice touch throws, sometimes his footwork lets him down a little causing him to airmail passes on occasion and he has an occasional tendency to be hesitant on a pass. It would be nice to see a bit more arm strength from him too.

But, how many QBs in a whole draft have the ability to do full field reads as this guy can do? Tack on his Cam Newton-lite athleticism and I think he's got a chance of making a roster, albeit probably PS in year one, and I think has starter upside in time if he corrects a couple of flaws.

Apparently an AFC East team has shown interest and whilst I think it might well be the Bills - I can see a team with Tyrod Taylor liking him as a backup - I can see Josh McDaniels liking this guys athleticism and fairly established skillset. If you have any spare time, I suggest watching this one hour video Matt Waldman did on him. I think he's really intriguing.

Also, Football Gameplan did a video scouting report on him, giving him a 4th round grade.

Last edited:
I like what you do Manx, but you lack WRs after Miller. Personly I wouldnt have him on my board, simply because he needs 2-3 years to learn the game, and price vs time aint a match. Are we talking late day 3 then im game.

I like what you do Manx, but you lack WRs after Miller. Personly I wouldnt have him on my board, simply because he needs 2-3 years to learn the game, and price vs time aint a match. Are we talking late day 3 then im game.

I have 3 WRs after Braxton: Mitchell, North and Lucien. Personally, as the roster is constructed, I don't see a desperate need for WR this year and am fine taking a developmental project on day 3. But, I'm really impressed with Shepard as a guy who could be a long-term highly productive receiver for us just like Edelman. As for Braxton, I think his upside is as one of the better receivers in the NFL. There are few with his combination of quickness and size. That's why I have him as a 2nd rounder. I genuinely believe that if he develops as he should, he'll be one of the best in the NFL at his position* and I'm taking that in round 2 every day. See Jamie Collins. I have my doubts that BB will agree with me, but this is my board not his.

* I do recognize that this is far from certain and it's a risky pick but I've been high on him from day one and I wanted to reflect that.

Thanks manx, this is hugely helpful (especially since I'm playing catch-up this year!)

IMO the stress point is OT. Every year, athletic OTs go earlier than projected -- I wouldn't even be shocked if both Spriggs and Clark were drafted in round 1.

I have 3 WRs after Braxton: Mitchell, North and Lucien. Personally, as the roster is constructed, I don't see a desperate need for WR this year and am fine taking a developmental project on day 3. But, I'm really impressed with Shepard as a guy who could be a long-term highly productive receiver for us just like Edelman. As for Braxton, I think his upside is as one of the better receivers in the NFL. There are few with his combination of quickness and size. That's why I have him as a 2nd rounder. I genuinely believe that if he develops as he should, he'll be one of the best in the NFL at his position* and I'm taking that in round 2 every day. See Jamie Collins. I have my doubts that BB will agree with me, but this is my board not his.

* I do recognize that this is far from certain and it's a risky pick but I've been high on him from day one and I wanted to reflect that.

my only issue with WR's that need development is that it's the last thing our current QB needs.....I think Miller would be a wasted pick since it'll take him a couple of years of route running development for Brady to even look his way

Thanks manx, this is hugely helpful (especially since I'm playing catch-up this year!)

IMO the stress point is OT. Every year, athletic OTs go earlier than projected -- I wouldn't even be shocked if both Spriggs and Clark were drafted in round 1.

Good point! I'm compiling historical data on OTs taken in the first two rounds. Here's the list for the last five years:

1st: 5
2nd: 4

2013 (a bit of anomaly, in that the first 3 picks were OTs, and 5 went in the top 19, but only 1 more went in the 2nd)
2nd: 1

2012 (bad year for early OTs I guess)
1st: 2

1st: 6
2nd: 3

I think that 5 1st round OTs is a realistic expectation based on recent historical trends (4.6 on average). The 2nd has more variance, but 3 (3.2 to be precise) is fairly average. I should probably go back over ten years, in order to be more accurate, but I'm at work so this is short.

I would add LT/LG Joe Dahl to the Round 3/Early 4th list; and maybe LG Christian Westerman
to the Round 2 list if Bill is contemplating moving Shaq Mason to Center.

I would add LT/LG Joe Dahl to the Round 3/Early 4th list; and maybe LG Christian Westerman
to the Round 2 list if Bill is contemplating moving Shaq Mason to Center.

I thought about both, and like both, but decided to leave out OGs except for McGovern who's versatile enough to play both OG and OT. I don't really think there's a need and chose to be very strict about who I included.

Final board. I may do a bit of tinkering later in the day but this is what I am going into the draft with

* = highly preferred picks for either need or perceived value.

Mid 2nd - Trade up players

Jonathan Bullard - DT/DE**
Vernon Butler - DT*
Jason Spriggs - OT
Kyle Fuller - CB

Bottom second

Sterling Shepard - WR**
La'Raven Clark - OT*
Artie Burns - CB
Carl Nassib - DE
Kenny Clark - DT

Top half 3rd

Hassen Ridgeway - DT*
Cyrus Jones - CB
Chris Jones - DT
Kyle Fackell - OLB
Will Redman - CB
Shon Coleman - OT

Bottom half 3rd

Charone Peake - WR*
Joe Haeg - OT*
Baxton Miller - WR* (can't bring it in me to put him higher... so risk and such a project)
Kenneth Dixon - RB
Jelan Mill - CB
Jordan Jenkins - OLB
Scooby Wright - OLB

4th

Tyler Matakevich - ILB*
KeiVarae Russell - CB*
Jordan Howard - RB*
Jonathan Williams - RB
Alex Lewis - OT
Paul Perkins - RB
Kyle Murphy - OT
Sheldon Day - DT
Kenny Lawler - WR
Jonathan Jones - CB
Cole Toner - OT

5th

Ronald Blair - DE/DT*
Jayron Kearse - SS
Adam Gotsis - DT
Devon Cajuste - WR/TE
Stephen Anderson - TE
Keyarris Garrett - WR
Maurice Canady - CB
Jonathan Jones - CB
Tavon Young - CB
Daniel Lasco - RB
DeAndre Washington - RB
CJ Prosise - RB

6th-7th-FA

Jaylon Smith - OLB**
Stephen Weatherly - DE*
Travis Feeney - OLB
De'Vondre Campbell - OLB
Trevor Davis - WR
Moritz Boehriger - WR
Wendall Williams - WR
DJ Foster - RB
Peirce Slater - OT
Nile Lawrence-Stample - DT
DJ Reader - DT
Luther Mandy - DT
Heath Joel - DT
Ike Harris - OT

Last edited:
Very nice Big Board @BobDigital .

But will someone, for the love of God, join me on the Stephen Anderson bandwagon. It's very lonely :(

Very nice Big Board @BobDigital .

But will someone, for the love of God, join me on the Stephen Anderson bandwagon. It's very lonely :(

Sure I'll bite. I like his hands and body control. He seems to have good instincts of the spots to get open and looks like a solid dependable chain mover. There is value in that kind of player. I will join ya on the band wagon. Looks like a good solid niche player to me. Just from a quick look at this tape I'd give him a 5th round kind of grade. He is not going to be one of your game changers but a solid supporting cast member and can beat the 4th or 5th defender and get a first down.

Last edited:

Sure I'll bite. I like his hands and body control. He seems to have good instincts of the spots to get open and looks like a solid dependable chain mover. There is value in that kind of player. I will join ya on the band wagon. Looks like a good solid niche player to me. Just from a quick look at this tape I'd give him a 5th round kind of grade. He is not going to be one of your game changers but a solid supporting cast member and can't beat the 4th or 5th defender and get a first down.

For a 230lb guy, he gets open so quickly.

Is anyone watching the draft tonight or are you boycotting? Is it worth starting a gameday thread?

Is anyone watching the draft tonight or are you boycotting? Is it worth starting a gameday thread?

I will watch part of it. I got a poker game tonight so i will catch the 2nd half of it after that. Obviously if the Pats were going to pick I'd watch the whole thing.

I think the draft is still pretty fun overall and I will be damned if i let the NFL ruin every single thing till game 5 of this season onward for me.

I will watch part of it. I got a poker game tonight so i will catch the 2nd half of it after that. Obviously if the Pats were going to pick I'd watch the whole thing.

I think the draft is still pretty fun overall and I will be damned if i let the NFL ruin every single thing till game 5 of this season onward for me.

Good luck and win big.

I'm doing Ian's boycott - basically just not watching on ESPN/NFL network nor going on their site. That said, I was definitely intending on following the draft here - I'd like to know what happens as it comes (just no links to ESPN.com and NFL.com!). So I'm up for a gameday thread.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back