PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mock using a simulator

I've done way too many of these mock Sims. If it doesn't have Caleb Maye and Daniels in the top 3 than it isn't worth taking seriously IMO. I'm not believing the JJ smoke. Certainly not that high at least. It does make me leery of trading down though.

For this draft I went with a strategy that was polar opposite of captain stone's huge draft haul above, to see how it would turn out. In this case I went in wanting two top-20 picks, for a QB and OT.

I accepted a trade offer from NYG, trading the Pats #3 for a #6 and #47.
Tenn the offered me their #7 and a 2025 1st for the Pats #6 and #231.
I had been watching Jayden Daniels fall, and took him at #7.
Now I targeted Jacksonville at #17 for a trade up, for an OT.
I had to keep on sweetening the offer before the simulator would accept my trade.
Eventually the deal it took was Pats #34, #47 and #103 for their #17.
At #68 the Jets offered me their #72 and #134 for the Pats #68 and #193.
Even though it was only four spots, I thought I may loe out on the next best available WR (I did).
But I felt it would be worth it to move up from 193 to 134 (it was).
Result:
7 QB Jayden Daniels
17 OT Troy Fautanu
72 WR Ricky Pearsall
134 RB Dylan Laube
137 CB Jarrian Jones
180 TE Erick All
2025 Tenn 1st

While I didn't get anywhere near the depth the Pats need (DT, Edge, S, another WR, etc), this mock did yield two first round starters - plus what should be an early first round pick in 2025.

McCarthy went #8, and Bo Nix was taken earlier (#23) than most mocks.
Fautanu was the #5 OT - NINE OTs were taken in the first round.
If I had stayed at #34 the best available players were DT T'Vondre Sweat or WR Xavier Worthy.
There were no OTs worth taking at that point, not until the 3rd round.

Was this done on the PFN sim?

Was this done on the PFN sim?
Sorry for the delay getting back to you, I was away for the weekend and busy with other family get together stuff.

Yes - on the PFN sim.

I just did my first mock (without trades) and got Daniels, Morgan and Pearsall with my first 3 picks. Picked up a TRUE TE with potential, TJohnsion, in the 4th. the People's favorite, Laube in the 5th, and ended with LB, Edge, and S at the end. 3 guys with decent size and high RAS's (Eichenburg, Jac kson and Perry).

Here's the thing though that came through from me while I looked at this team's rebuilding process. THIS is the year to take the best QB available and it'll be Daniels or Maye, and I'll be happy with either, even though I favor Maye personally a bit. This first year with what looks like a young roster, it will be a big learning curve for either QB, If this year isn't a playoff year, than so be it. Next year will be the year to find play makers.

NEXT year's FA market at WR will be MUCH better and deeper. Next year we will be in the top 5 in cap space. The roster will be stronger. We will have a talented QB who has a year's experience under his belt, and who will have started say, 5+ games and looks promising. NOW the Pats will once again be a team on the upward trajectory and more palatable to quality FA's. THAT will be the time to spend big on impact players. If you wait until next year to pick up your QB, then you delay the process even further down the rosd and who knows what the cap situation will be like in 2026.

Get your QB, add a quality OT prospect and a receiver who you hope will be a starter and use your good defense to be competitive and entertaining as you rebuild.

In this mock Cincy offered me their #18, #49, #80, #97 and a 2025 2nd for the #3 pick.
That gave the Pats seven of the top 103 picks in the draft!
Focused almost exclusively on repairing the offense.

NFL-team-logo

Troy Fautanu OT Washington
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Bo Nix QB Oregon
NFL-team-logo

Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
NFL-team-logo

Will Shipley RB Clemson
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Dylan Laube RB New Hampshire
trade-icon

NFL-team-logo

Theo Johnson TE Penn State
NFL-team-logo

Jarrian Jones CB Florida State
NFL-team-logo

Xavier Thomas EDGE Clemson
NFL-team-logo

Mark Perry S TCU
2025 CIN 2nd

Caleb Williams went at #1 and Drake Maye at #2 in this mock draft. I got us a QB, OT, and WR with our first 3 picks and still got some prospects to fill out the depth chart. I believe each player taken in the first 3 rounds represent top prospects at their position. Opted for the take them as they come approach with no trades for this first mock draft attempt.

3. Jayden Daniels. 6'4 210 lbs. He's an elite dual threat athlete at the QB position. There are a lot of pro comparisons to Lamar Jackson.

Video Breakdown:

34. Kingsley Suamataia. 6'4 326 lbs OT. A strong, freakish offensive tackle prospect to protect the new QB. He has versatility and experience at both right tackle and left tackle.

Video Breakdown:

68. Xavier Legette. 6'1 221 lbs and ran an official 4.39 at the NFL combine. He's a very physical receiver who exploded last season with 1,255 receiving yards and 7 TDs.

Video Breakdown:

1712078166188.png

For this mock I went with the mindset of drafting a QB at #3, and kicking OT down the road to 2025.
This was to be a no-trade mock focused on the offense; similar to two posts up, but with emphasis on WR.
Joe Alt was drafted #2, leaving me with any QB I wanted other than Caleb Williams.

PFN_Draft_result_1712084506845.png

This mock had the same parameters as above - offense-centric, WR emphasis - but with trade-downs for extra picks.

- Chargers trade their #5 and #37 for the Pats #3 (they took MJH).
- Vikings trade their #11 and #23 for the Pats #5 (they took JJ McCarthy) and #68.
That gave the Patriots four of the first 37 draft picks - but a long gap after that.

11 OT Troy Fautanu, Washington
23 WR Brian Thomas Jr, LSU
34 QB Bo Nix, Oregon
37 WR Adonai Mitchell, Texas
103 RB Dylan Laube, UNH
137 TE Theo Johnson, Penn State
180 DT Gabe Hall, Baylor
193 EDGE Brennan Jackson, Washington St
231 CB DeCamerion Richardson, Mississippi St

Keon Coleman=N’Keal Harry

Some great mocks. But if Xavier Legette is available at 68 it must mean he was arrested for murder right before the draft. He’s a stud WR. The only knock on him is that he didn’t have big-time production until 2023.

Seven round draft. Putting on the Wolf GM hat, I'm guessing NE has Maye and/or McCarthy ahead of Daniels (with no interest in Penix/Nix.) Here we trade down to 6 with NY. I don't know how this works in RL, but if NY wants to trade up, we pull the trigger with the understanding they're not taking a QB. I would think it's professional courtesy not to lie on draft day but have no idea. But since this is a sim NY almost always takes MHJ. We get a 47 and swap 68<>70 (and because it's a sim I accept. In RL I'd ask for an additional pick probably. In any event in this case WAS takes Daniels and at six we're then guaranteed to get either Maye or McCarthy. Turns out it's McCarthy because MIN did jump to 5 for Maye. One note on McCarthy: With their national championship hopes on the line, McCarthy drove the team 75 yards in 8 plays to tie the game, include a 4th and 2. Clutch performance in a big-time game is a pretty good selling point IMO.)

Additional notes: Our targets for OT are Morgan/Kingsley and/or Kiran. In most sims the OTs fly off the board and there's slim pickings at 34. In this run Morgan is gone by 34 but I end up taking the other two with the view that one goes LT and the other OG. My own bias comes through because IMO you can never have enough O linemen. We land an X WR and since Jevon has been in NE for a visit we grab him too. After that I take guys with high RAS scores and/or BPA (which nets us two TEs. Almost all the DBs in the back of the draft have really low RAS scores. Either that or DB PTSD from past drafts =P.)

PFN_Draft_result_1712144913449.png

Last edited:
For this mock the strategy was to trade down very slightly to draft McCarthy - and then with the additional draft pick trade back up towards the middle of the first round for the best remaining OT. As a result WR has to wait until the 3rd round.

- Chargers offer #5 and #37 for Pats #3 (they use it on Alt).
- Pats are offered two more trade downs but refuse, thinking McCarthy will not be available lower.
5 QB J.J. McCarthy, Michigan
- Pats trade #34 and #37 to Jaguars for #17.
17 OT Taliese Fuaga, Oregon State
- Cardinals offer #71 and #104 for #68 and #137.
(I see two similar WRs available, so I accept, figuring I will be able to secure at least one of them.)
71 WR Roman Wilson, Michigan
- Pats are offered a trade down for #103 that would have added 3 more picks - but they are all so late I declined the offer.
103 RB Dylan Laube, UNH (3rd down RB, PR)
104 EDGE Javon Solomon, Troy (potential replacement for Josh Uche)
180 TE Erick All, Iowa
193 DT Logan Lee, Iowa
231 FS Mark Perry, TCU

If McCarthy is the QB the Pats want, this draft went okay - getting both him and also Fuaga is a major plus.
The downside is not getting a WR until #71 - the 15th WR selected in the draft.

For this mock the strategy was to trade down and accumulate picks, draft an OT in the middle of the 1st, and if Nix was not available at 34 then target Rattler in the 3rd round.

- Raiders offer #13, #44, #112 and their 2025 2nd for Pats #3 (Jayden Daniels)
- Rams offer #19 and #52 for Pats #13 and #137
19 OT Troy Fautanu, Washington
34 QB Bo Nix, Oregon
- Giants offer #47 and #107 for Pats #44 and #180. Even though there were plenty of WRs still on the board (McConkey, Corkey, Polk, Legette), I declined because I felt the team had already accomplished the goal of accumulating draft picks.
44 WR Ladd McConkey, Georgia
- Texans offer #59 and #123 for #52. I had been thinking of doubling down at WR here, but there was a player who was pre-ranked at #21 still available at #52 (Newton), so I declined the offer.
52 DT Johnny Newton, Illinois
68 WR Roman Wilson, Michigan
103 RB Blake Corum, Michigan
112 TE Theo Johnson, Penn State
180 RB Isaac Guerendo, Louisville
231 CB Myles Harden, South Dakota
- Could have also drafted another TE here: either AJ Barner, Michigan or Tip Reiman, Illinois
2025 Raiders 2nd round pick

Result of the trade down:
- Pats have 5 of the first 68 picks, rather than the original 3
- Pats have 7 of the first 112 picks, rather than the original 4
- Pats have the Raiders 2nd round pick in 2025

Seven round draft. Putting on the Wolf GM hat, I'm guessing NE has Maye and/or McCarthy ahead of Daniels (with no interest in Penix/Nix.) Here we trade down to 6 with NY. I don't know how this works in RL, but if NY wants to trade up, we pull the trigger with the understanding they're not taking a QB. I would think it's professional courtesy not to lie on draft day but have no idea. But since this is a sim NY almost always takes MHJ. We get a 47 and swap 68<>70 (and because it's a sim I accept. In RL I'd ask for an additional pick probably. In any event in this case WAS takes Daniels and at six we're then guaranteed to get either Maye or McCarthy. Turns out it's McCarthy because MIN did jump to 5 for Maye. One note on McCarthy: With their national championship hopes on the line, McCarthy drove the team 75 yards in 8 plays to tie the game, include a 4th and 2. Clutch performance in a big-time game is a pretty good selling point IMO.)

Additional notes: Our targets for OT are Morgan/Kingsley and/or Kiran. In most sims the OTs fly off the board and there's slim pickings at 34. In this run Morgan is gone by 34 but I end up taking the other two with the view that one goes LT and the other OG. My own bias comes through because IMO you can never have enough O linemen. We land an X WR and since Jevon has been in NE for a visit we grab him too. After that I take guys with high RAS scores and/or BPA (which nets us two TEs. Almost all the DBs in the back of the draft have really low RAS scores. Either that or DB PTSD from past drafts =P.)

View attachment 57400
This is excellent!

No-trade mock draft with a simple strategy of selecting the highest ranked WR in the 1st round, OT in the 2nd, QB/RB in the third, RB/QB in the 4th, BAP offense in the 5th, BAP in the 6th and 7th.

Penix available at #68 is not realistic. The next QB was Rattler, who would have been available in Round 4 (he went #111).
So another option would have been RB Blake Corum in the third and Rattler in the 4th.

3. WR Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State
34 OT Jordan Morgan, Arizona
68 QB Michael Penix Jr, Washington
103 RB Will Shipley, Clemson
137 WR Malik Washington, Virginia
180 EDGE Cedric Johnson, Ole Miss
193 TE Erick All, Iowa
231 DT Jamree Kromah, James Madison

In the 7th round I just missed out on two TEs that have been on my radar: AJ Barner and Tip Reiman.

Same paramters as above for this mock draft.
Just flipped RB/QB in 3rd and 4th round.

3. WR Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State
34 OT Jordan Morgan, Arizona
68 RB Jonathan Brooks, Texas
103 QB Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
137 TE Jared Wiley, TCU
180 RB Isaac Guerndo, Louisville
193 DT Gabe Hall, Baylor
231 WR Cornelius Johnson, Michigan

For those who are taking Jordan Morgan at #34, my questions about him as an LT1 prospect are:

- short arms
- tendency to not finish plays.

He’s a really good athlete but I see him as a big risk at #34 and wouldn’t take him there and would favor either trading down a bit in the 2nd round for a better LT1 prospect (e.g., Paul or Amegadjie) or a staying at #34 and drafting a better prospect for WR that can play the X position (e.g., Mitchell). With the Diggs trade the X WR is probably less favorable as an option at #34.

For those who are taking Jordan Morgan at #34, my questions about him as an LT1 prospect are:

- short arms

He’s a really good athlete but I see him as a big risk at #34 and wouldn’t take him there and would favor either trading down a bit in the 2nd round for a better LT1 prospect (e.g., Paul or Amegadjie) or a staying at #34 and drafting a better prospect for WR that can play the X position (e.g., Mitchell). With the Diggs trade the X WR is probably less favorable as an option at #34.
It's a pickle. Offensive scoring was down league wide last year due in part to poor offensive line play. There are a lot of OT needy teams. By the time 34 rolls around, you're looking at swing tackles or switching guys from RT to LT (e.g. Guyton), or guys like Morgan who are OT/OG types (meaning they might be serviceable in the short term at the LT spot.) Paul is athletic but a project and is 24. Kiran is from an FCS school (personal fave though). Rosengarten is a swing tackle. After that it's pretty much a cliff. According to this chart NE's biggest pass pro liability is Curtis Strange. If no one falls to 34 (OT or WR) it might make sense to trade back a little at 34 and pick up an extra 3rd to double up on either OT or WR (it seems highly unlikely NE is trading down from 3.)

- short arms

I agree and if you watch Morgan tends to loaf after the initial block. I want guys that play to the whistle. Which Kiran Amegadjie and Kingsley Suamataia do.

I would take Kingsley at 34 over just about any other option. Maybe Adonai Mitchell if he fell.

At 68 I'm tempted to trade up for a McConckey or Legette if they slip past Phillys 2 picks. Get on the phone with your pals at Cleveland. Otherwise I'm not opposed to taking Kiran. Onwenu can move to RG.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back