PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Favorite Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
There have been so many great years in the 20 year Patriot Dynasty, some before as well, but I’ve often thought about my favorite year as a Patriot’s fan. Which one was it ? I really loved 2001, the 1st championship is always so sweet, and 2004, Corey Dillon, that incredible defense, going 14-2 and having to go to Pittsburgh for the AFCCG, and going in and kicking their asses. 2004 was also so special because I think they became the 1st team(and maybe only) to ever lose their starting CBs, and still won the SB. I also think about 2018, and how nobody gave that team a chance, and they went on to win it all.

But when I think about all of them, I think 2016 is my favorite year. The Deflategate Revenge Tour. After all the BS for 2 years, and Brady being suspended for 4 games, a complete garbage suspension. Seeing Brady after that suspension, and he was just so surgical in his destruction of teams that year. Then in the AFCCG, destroying the Steelers once again, it was just amazing. Of course, follow that up with the most incredible, impossible comeback win in SB 51. Seeing Brady at the apex of his greatness was just awe inspiring to watch.

Of course, all 6 SB wins were special to me, getting to the SB for the first time ever, the 1985 season was special to me as well, and then 1976 was really special, what a great year that was. But I think 2016 was my favorite year.

What is yours ?

2016 was great... I think 2001 would be my second choice, but first is 2004. Two brutal losses, including another nightmare in Miami, but then the two awesome playoff wins and the crowning of the (first) dynasty.

I might also be slightly swayed toward 2004 due to certain baseball events. :)

2018. Loved the mojo going into the playoffs. Still Here mantra. Beating the Chiefs at KC. All of it was glorious.

Favorite SB was 2014 and the Butler pick. Ruining the Seahawks org with that one play has been the best and lasting part of this dynasty. Just loved it. Still do.

2014 and the death of the "haven't won anything since spygate" argument

though I guess it was replaced by bogus deflategate nonsense

It did establish the entire era as a superdynasty

2014 is my favourite.

slow out of the blocks. 2-2 record.

On to Kansas City
Brady comes back from the dead
win 7 straight
The Colts fake punt
The only great Brady/Rodgers battle
Watching the last great Revis season
Gronk at his peak
Edelman going up a level
Chung going from training camp fodder to star
Amendola going from hated bust signing to playoff star

the Baltimore playoff comeback with “Your Love” becoming my favourite Gillette Stadium moment.

Pats winning the greatest game ever played, on the greatest defensive play.

The beginning of the second dynasty. There’s just so much to love about that team.

2001 and 2008. No expectations, no pressure and it was just fun to watch them win and defy the odds. I know they fell just short in 08 but it was a fun season.

Last edited:
They’re like my family, I love them all, each one for different reasons.
01 well it was the first
04 holding the #1 offense to 3 points and then going to Pittsburgh and scoring 40+ on the #1 defense.
16 28-3. My mind still can’t completely comprehend it.
18. Too old tour
Looking forward to adding another favorite this coming year.

2014 for me... my second favourite was probably 2003.

Top 5:

1. 2007. The ending turned into a nightmare, but the season was amazing.
2. 2003. Best defense of the BB era. Teams couldn’t run or throw on them. Also pitching a few shutouts. When teams got into 3rd down situations, they may as well punted. However, I didn’t like how they collapsed in the Super Bowl. Ending the drought in Miami was awesome. Had some revenge wins against Jets, Titans from previous season and returned the 31-0 favor to the Bills from week 1.
3. 2004. Trading for Corey Dillon gave them much added juice to the ground game. Arguably the biggest reason they repeated.
4. 2001. Their “Cinderella” season. They were once the darlings of the NFL believe it or not. I was in denial when Vinateri kicked the game winner. Couldn’t believe they really did it.
5. 2016. Brady dominated after the bogus suspension.

Last edited:
I came to discuss Peter O'Toole's fine performance, but I see the OP was referring to football...so I'll go with the year David Patten demonstrated the proper way to fall when knocked senseless, 2001.

My top 2 seasons
2001 Pats put on the glass slipper and redeem a half century of being Patsies.
Was at the post 9/11 game for the flyover and NYFD halftime and Mo Lewis' hit
Despite being a Brady > Bledsoe fan from training camp I thought the 0-2 loss that day meant the season was OVAH!
Daughter gets married and I record the Atlanta game on the first TiVo to watch late that night as we decompressed
The Snow Game staying up late for post game euphoria
Madden's maddening they should run the clock out winning drive commentary

2014 Cognoscenti wrote off TFB as over the hill and the Pats Dynasty DEAD
I was at the On To Cincinnati blowout game and not the least surprised that the "experts" were wrong again, as most always
Great post season slaying past dragons
The haven't won anything since Spygate meme dies
Greatest SB comeback (10 points down) ever by TFB, a record I did not expect him to shatter
Saint Malcom of Interception saves us

As Brady was known for saying, "the next one".

BB proving he can win it all without Brady.

2014 is my favourite.

slow out of the blocks. 2-2 record.

On to Kansas City
Brady comes back from the dead
win 7 straight
The Colts fake punt
The only great Brady/Rodgers battle
Watching the last great Revis season
Gronk at his peak
Edelman going up a level
Chung going from training camp fodder to star
Amendola going from hated bust signing to playoff star

the Baltimore playoff comeback with “Your Love” becoming my favourite Gillette Stadium moment.

Pats winning the greatest game ever played, on the greatest defensive play.

The beginning of the second dynasty. There’s just so much to love about that team.

Yup for all these reasons. Also I think we blew out Denver in one of the last Pink Head / Brady games, Gronk had one of the best catches of his career (if I have my games right). Watched from a sports bar in Vegas and was super obnoxious about winning (lots of Broncos fans there).

My top 2 seasons
2001 Pats put on the glass slipper and redeem a half century of being Patsies.
Was at the post 9/11 game for the flyover and NYFD halftime and Mo Lewis' hit
Despite being a Brady > Bledsoe fan from training camp I thought the 0-2 loss that day meant the season was OVAH!
Daughter gets married and I record the Atlanta game on the first TiVo to watch late that night as we decompressed
The Snow Game staying up late for post game euphoria
Madden's maddening they should run the clock out winning drive commentary

2014 Cognoscenti wrote off TFB as over the hill and the Pats Dynasty DEAD
I was at the On To Cincinnati blowout game and not the least surprised that the "experts" were wrong again, as most always
Great post season slaying past dragons
The haven't won anything since Spygate meme dies
Greatest SB comeback (10 points down) ever by TFB, a record I did not expect him to shatter
Saint Malcom of Interception saves us

This is exactly how I see it. many other great seasons but those two are extra special.

Comments:

1.) Tough to rank the top 3.

2.) Fans of other teams visiting this forum must hate us for having so many seasons to pick from, LOL.

3.) Here's my top 3:

2016: I was in Seattle for week 5 against the Browns watching the game with 3 other Pats fan friends. It was electric....we all were like, "Brady is back from that BS suspension, LFG"....you could feel that season was gonna be special. Then around Thanksgiving I went to Levi Stadium to shout down those a-holes who booed Brady on the field in SB 50 with the other SB MVP's. After the game, I kid you not..there was a rainbow over the stadium...you felt something special was brewing. Then I plunked down serious coin to go to Houston.....28-3 man....and seeing Brady shout, "Let's take this sucker home" was freaking epic.

2001: That team will always be my most favorite Patriot team ever. Just an unbelievable season from starting 0-2....Cox laying out Pathon for a big win....getting killed in Miami..burying the ball and coming back against the Chargers to avoid a 1-4 start....losing in Denver as per usual with Tommy throwing 4 INT's.....playing the Rams straight up. Watching Brady explode versus the Saints after BB gave him the job for good. Scratching and clawing for a win in Buffalo with Brady getting his helmet knocked out and Patten somehow being OOB while getting knocked out! Finally beating the Jets. Snow game and the greatest FG in NFL history. Bledsoe coming in relief....and reminding us all why he was so exciting and perplexing (throwing the ball into Joey Porter's numbers as well as the only passing TD thus far that post-season). Then upsetting the Rams in New Orleans......

2008: Yeah, losing Brady sucked....but for one season, I felt like I was watching the Patriots of the late 90's.....you didn't know who would win on Sunday. And I was almost always the lone Patriot fan at the bar..... Pulling out wins vs. the Rams/Seahawks and watching Cassell throw for 400+ in Miami....only to basically lose a playoff berth on a 3rd and 19 pass from Favre to Keller in OT..... I have a feeling that this season is gonna be like 2008 and 2001.....a lot of fun rooting for the unknown.

2004 was an incredible year. They went on to win their 21st straight game (going back to 2003) and had my favorite mix of a balanced offense and defense. AFC playoffs were complete domination of their 2 hated rivals. Only historical blemish from a memory perspective was the Super Bowl win was more workmen like than spectacular. (not that I didn't love it but re-watching that game is relatively low compared to others)

Overall favorite season was 2001. Watching that team gut out win after win was something. During the season, it was really nice since its the last time we had a 2 year absence from playoff football, so feeling that again was really cool, especially unexpected.

favorite sb was 49. Hatred at an all time high, perfect way to gut wrench the haters. Also the first after being snakebitten the previous 9 years and coming a play or a gronk injury from winning it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes