PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Analysis : Drew Brees' Last 48 games - 33 played in a Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenepatsrule

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Brees record, but the other day i was listening to a certain sports network (thou shall not be named :D ) and they were discussing about how big a deal it is to break that record etc , it got me thinking how many games has he played in doors? how many in cold weather........ here are my findings

October 7, 2012********Vs chargers+++++DOME

September 30, 2012********@ Packers+++++66 Degrees

September 23, 2012********Vs Chiefs+++++DOME

September 16, 2012********@ Panthers+++++76 Degrees

September 9, 2012********Vs Redskins+++++DOME

January 1, 2012********Vs Panthers+++++DOME

December 26, 2011********Vs Falcons+++++DOME

December 18, 2011********@ Vikings+++++DOME

December 11, 2011********@ Titans+++++40 degrees and sunny

December 4, 2011********Vs Lions+++++DOME

November 28, 2011********Vs Giants+++++DOME

November 13, 2011********@ Falcons+++++DOME

November 6, 2011********Vs Buccaneers+++++DOME

October 30, 2011********@ Rams+++++DOME

October 23, 2011********Vs Colts+++++DOME

October 16, 2011********@ Buccaneers+++++86 Degrees

October 9, 2011********@ Panthers+++++77 Degrees

October 2, 2011********@ Jaguars+++++79 Degrees

September 25, 2011********Vs Texans+++++DOME

September 18, 2011********Vs Bears+++++DOME

September 8, 2011********@ Packers+++++76 Degrees

January 2, 2011********Vs Buccaneers+++++DOME

December 27, 2010********@ Falcons+++++DOME

December 19, 2010********@ Ravens+++++37 Degrees

December 12, 2010********Vs Rams+++++DOME

December 5, 2010********@ Bengals+++++32 Degrees

November 25, 2010********@ Cowboys+++++DOME

November 21, 2010********Vs Seahawks+++++DOME

November 7, 2010********@ Panthers+++++54 Degrees

October 31, 2010********Vs Steelers+++++DOME

October 24, 2010********Vs Browns+++++DOME

October 17, 2010********@ Buccaneers+++++84 Degrees

October 10, 2010********@ Cardinals+++++DOME

October 3, 2010 ********Vs Panthers+++++DOME

September 26, 2010********Vs Falcons+++++DOME

September 20, 2010********@ 49ers+++++76 Degrees

September 9, 2010********Vs Vikings+++++DOME

December 27, 2009********Vs Buccaneers+++++DOME

December 19, 2009********Vs Cowboys+++++DOME

December 13, 2009********@ Falcons+++++DOME

December 6, 2009 ********@ Redskins+++++39 Degrees

November 30, 2009********Vs Patriots+++++DOME

November 22, 2009********@ Buccaneers+++++78 Degrees

November 15, 2009********@ Rams+++++DOME

November 8, 2009 ********Vs Panthers+++++DOME

November 2, 2009 ********Vs Falcons+++++DOME

October 25, 2009 ********@ Dolphins+++++88 Degrees

October 18, 2009 ********Vs Giants+++++DOME

There are only 3 games where the temp has been in the 30s
Its a big deal no doubt to have a td in 48 games no doubt, but if Eli or Brady were to reach the same milestone in my opinion their effort would have been greater and better than Brees coz they play in games where it rains/snows. Thoughts?

Brees has 69 percent of games in a dome in this period.
Brady or any AFC east QB for that matter in any 48 game span (3 regular seasons) plays atleast 11 games outdoors per season thats like 33 Outdoor games out of 48 which is exact opposite of Brees figures .

Last edited:
Nice effort to research all of that.

Regardless of what happens with Brady/Manning streaking, it also points out the pure brilliance of Johnny Unitas. I find it easy to forget about him due to the passage of time and the hype generated by modern athletes by a large media industry.

Nice effort to research all of that.

Regardless of what happens with Brady/Manning streaking, it also points out the pure brilliance of Johnny Unitas. I find it easy to forget about him due to the passage of time and the hype generated by modern athletes by a large media industry.

Thanks, it crossed my mind to do an analysis of Unitas record... but i was pretty sure he had played in snow.........Brees doesnt have a single snow game in the 48 games duration

4 games under 66 degrees? That's crazy, great research.

4 games under 66 degrees? That's crazy, great research.
Thanks, some of the temps i have listed are the max temps on that particular day and the games were in the afternoon so its pretty much + or -5 degrees in those cases

Don't forget that all of these passing records....even TFB's.....are being done in an era that is far more friendly to a passing game.....not making a statement on better or worse rules.....just recognizing the difference.

Don't forget that all of these passing records....even TFB's.....are being done in an era that is far more friendly to a passing game.....not making a statement on better or worse rules.....just recognizing the difference.

There is no doubt that Unitas era was more difficult for a QB than the present era , my analysis was more of a reflection on why it is easier for Brees to break the record than say Eli ,Brady or even Rodgers.....

Clearly there is a very valid point to your research however I don't think it should be used to belittle Brees and his record but rather just to point out that Brady's may be more impressive despite not reaching 48 yet.

He still has done it vs NFL defenses and one could make a case that bad weather actually helps the offense (see any number of snow games over the last decade) that would still leave wind and rain.

Clearly there is a very valid point to your research however I don't think it should be used to belittle Brees and his record but rather just to point out that Brady's may be more impressive despite not reaching 48 yet.

He still has done it vs NFL defenses and one could make a case that bad weather actually helps the offense (see any number of snow games over the last decade) that would still leave wind and rain.

I agree if and when Brady or Eli or Rodgers reaches that mark it will be more impressive than Brees

If it did help y woudlnt the titans have scored a single point in 59-0 game against the Pats ? You have to run the ball in bad weather games rather than try and throw for 40-50 yards hence reducing ur chances of throwing a TD.

Last edited:
brady is at what...36 strait with a TD pass?

Just like DiMaggio's record, one of the most overrated in sports.

During DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak, Ted Williams had a higher batting average during his 56 game stretch. Who was better? Williams. Who gave you a better chance to win? Williams? Is there any possible logical argument otherwise? No. Who holds "the greatest record in sports"? DiMaggio.

Haven't even looked up the stats, but I'll wager that during DomeBoy's "incredible run" he's been outperformed on paper by Rodgers and Brady.

Just like DiMaggio's record, one of the most overrated in sports.

During DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak, Ted Williams had a higher batting average during his 56 game stretch. Who was better? Williams. Who gave you a better chance to win? Williams? Is there any possible logical argument otherwise? No. Who holds "the greatest record in sports"? DiMaggio.

Haven't even looked up the stats, but I'll wager that during DomeBoy's "incredible run" he's been outperformed on paper by Rodgers and Brady.

Eh, how are we qualifying "outperformed?" Remember that Brees broke 70% completion percentage twice during that period and led the league each of the past 3 years and he definitely has more yards and TDs than Brady in that period. Brady did have a better year in 2010, obviously since he won the MVP unanimously, and remember that Brady's 2009 numbers take a hit due to the ACL surgery and one dimensional offense.

That said, I agree with the initial premise of the thread which is that if Brees had to play Brady's schedule in his conditions I find it unlikely he would have hit 48 games. Maybe would have happened, but his advantage in the dome can't really be ignored. He's a record whore anyway. Remember last year when they were playing the Rams and there was no way they were winning, I think they were down 17 with 8 seconds left and Brees threw his only TD of the game just to keep the streak going when they had no chance in hell of actually coming back.

He's a record whore anyway..

:rofl: :rofl: nicely put....... the way he celebrated when the record was broken shocked me, u are 0-4 and u r celebrating as if you just won the SB

Last edited:
Eh, how are we qualifying "outperformed?" Remember that Brees broke 70% completion percentage twice during that period and led the league each of the past 3 years and he definitely has more yards and TDs than Brady in that period. Brady did have a better year in 2010, obviously since he won the MVP unanimously, and remember that Brady's 2009 numbers take a hit due to the ACL surgery and one dimensional offense.

I'm not going to count up every game, but let's start at the beginning of the 2009 season, which is roughly where this started:

Brady, 111 TDs, 30 INTs including his return from injury down season
Brees, 127 TDs 55 INTs

Even playing in cold weather and outside of the dome, Brady has been better, unless you would really trade 16 TDs for 25 INTs. It isn't even close.

Interceptions are the number one stat in most people's book, including those that study the correlation between passing stats and winning percentage.

I didn't even know this for sure before looking it up, but it was so self-evident that Brady is a much better quarterback and always has been, even during Brees' "glory days."

Last edited:
I'm not going to count up every game, but let's start at the beginning of the 2009 season, which is roughly where this started:

Brees, 127 TDs 55 INTs

Even playing in cold weather and outside of the dome, Brady has been better, unless you would really trade 16 TDs for 25 INTs. It isn't even close.

Interceptions are the number one stat in most people's book, including those that study the correlation between passing stats and winning percentage.

I didn't even know this for sure before looking it up, but it was so self-evident that Brady is a much better quarterback and always has been, even during Brees' "glory days."

Right, which is why I asked how you were qualifying outperformed. You don't have to convince me that Brady is the better QB because I agree with you but you can make a case that Brees has been as good throughout the course of that streak, and better in 2009, than Brady was. Brees was better in 2009, Brady was better in 2010, it's somewhat of a wash last year. That said, I take all of Brees' numbers with a grain of salt because he has Sean Payton drawing up the plays, obviously the dome factor, and they throw it about 700 times a season a good number of those to the running backs.

Brees, 127 TDs 55 INTs

excellent point :rocker:

Ah, the old 'dome' argument. Lame.

Thanks for the research, and while Brees has definitely been helped by the Dome phenomenon, there are other QBs who have played in good weather/domes and have been unable to get to where he is. He's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes