More Moves Coming? Patriots Without Draft Picks in Rounds 1-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
More Moves Coming? Patriots Without Draft Picks in Rounds 1-2

Ian Logue

The Patriots have been busy this week making moves to bolster their needs on both sides of the football, and so far Bill Belichick has seemingly used New England's draft picks to gamble on players who are proven instead of guys who have yet to play a down

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find a draft thread? I searched.

Anyway, with the team stacked and a rookie unlikely to earn significant playing time on this team (maybe a rookie linebacker or a really good center that emerges in preseason?) what about Sidney Jones?

Sidney Jones I think is unlikely to be taken in the 1st two rounds and stashed away for a year. IMO teams don't want to waste their picks in a deep draft that early.

That makes the Pats one of the only teams with the luxury of waiting a year, especially IMO if they sign Revis to man the #2 corner spot (although I liked Rowe's play also and I'm hoping Cyrus will be ok in the slot in year two).

An Achilles injury is tough to come back from but Sidney Jones is worth the risk IMO, his redshirt rookie year will probably still be recovering but by year two we could have a real steal since he's supposed to have been the 1st corner taken.

Anyway, with the team stacked and a rookie unlikely to earn significant playing time on this team (maybe a rookie linebacker or a really good center that emerges in preseason?) what about Sidney Jones?

Sidney Jones I think is unlikely to be taken in the 1st two rounds and stashed away for a year. IMO teams don't want to waste their picks in a deep draft that early.

That makes the Pats one of the only teams with the luxury of waiting a year, especially IMO if they sign Revis to man the #2 corner spot (although I liked Rowe's play also and I'm hoping Cyrus will be ok in the slot in year two).

An Achilles injury is tough to come back from but Sidney Jones is worth the risk IMO, his redshirt rookie year will probably still be recovering but by year two we could have a real steal since he's supposed to have been the 1st corner taken.

It's not a move I hate, but drafting pre-draft injured players doesn't seem to have a lot of success. The 49ers have been trying it and failed every time. And one other thing to consider. Someone drafted outside round one only gets a four year contract. You lose one year to injured reserve and Patriots draft picks don't often make an impact in their first year on the field because they have to learn the system and earn the trust of the coaches. So, in theory, you could only have him for two effective years before having to re-sign him. The decision would then have to be made about how much value there is in that. It could be worthwhile having Jones for two years but there is a risk of a wasted pick.

They have an entire draft forum if you scroll all the way down. :)

I love the idea of Sidney Jones. With the depth at cb this year, he may well be available at our first pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back