PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Monday 8/12 Patriots Training Camp Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if he is on the field more if that will equate to more bad wear on that knee...or if he is not running the rock and catching instead does that help save the knee a little.

It might but I don't think we care much about if we can have an elite dual threat RB producing for us. I think he is going to do both for us, run the ball and catch passes.

It might but I don't think we care much about if we can have an elite dual threat RB producing for us. I think he is going to do both for us, run the ball and catch passes.

He will do both effectively...always concerned about that knee.

Because he was picked in the 2nd round. We are better off just relying on UDFA CBs.
Every previous pick in the history of the new England patriots has no more to do with this players career than the chance the team wins when you wear your lucky shirt.

Pretty thin group. Hope we end up stronger than that.
I sure hope it will be but Gordon is suspended, DT on PUP, Harris dropping passes and Inman is invisible

1.) Nowadays a "starting WR" means one of your top 3 guys since we will be playing a lot of 11 personnel this year, IMO.

2.) My current WR rankings (assuming full health and no suspensions):

Edelman (Should be OK week 1)
Gordon (Suspended)
Meyers (Best WR in camp so far)
Harry (2nd best WR in camp so far)

Thomas (Not practicing yet)
Dorsett (Consistently available)
Slater (Not a WR, but a LOCK)
Harris (Dropsies lately...)
Inman (Just started playing and was OK in Detroit)
Berrios (Could be our PR)
Oleszewski (Could be our PR and contribute on ST's)
Meredith (Likely to be PUP'd)
Patterson (Likely to be cut, maybe PS later)
Davis (Likely to be cut, maybe PS later)

*Guys in BOLD are locks for week 1.

3.) In any case, I can probably see Meyers getting significant snaps but maybe not start as he would not be in the slot.

I sure hope it will be but Gordon is suspended, DT on PUP, Harris dropping passes and Inman is invisible

I'm not giving up on Harris yet. He had a great start (too great for his reputation) and followed it up with a real rough stretch. The trust on him is probably somewhere in the middle, and should be good enough as a veteran option at WR4/5. I think he would be a better regular WR than Berrios at this point, assuming the drops are a temporary brain lapse.

...if they trust him in blitz pickup! It would be a beautiful thing if Michel's presence didn't signal anything about the play call.

Late last year Ivan Fears said that Sony was good in pass protection.

1.) Nowadays a "starting WR" means one of your top 3 guys since we will be playing a lot of 11 personnel this year, IMO.

2.) My current WR rankings (assuming full health and no suspensions):

Edelman (Should be OK week 1)
Gordon (Suspended)
Meyers (Best WR in camp so far)
Harry (2nd best WR in camp so far)

Thomas (Not practicing yet)
Dorsett (Consistently available)
Slater (Not a WR, but a LOCK)
Harris (Dropsies lately...)
Inman (Just started playing and was OK in Detroit)
Berrios (Could be our PR)
Oleszewski (Could be our PR and contribute on ST's)
Meredith (Likely to be PUP'd)
Patterson (Likely to be cut, maybe PS later)
Davis (Likely to be cut, maybe PS later)

*Guys in BOLD are locks for week 1.

3.) In any case, I can probably see Meyers getting significant snaps but maybe not start as he would not be in the slot.
You don't think Dorsett is a lock?

Harris was catching everything in sight in minis and early training camp and their were 1-2 possible PI's by the Lions. Let's see how he does over the next few games ...

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/06/05/maurice-harris-new-england-patriots-minicamp-film-review/
"Trusting your eyes is always a good place to start for player evaluation, but no analysis is complete without looking at the underlying metrics. Player Profiler agrees that Harris excels at hauling in catchable targets. According to the advanced stats website, Harris finished 2018 with 90.3% true catch rate, eighth-best in the league. True catch rate is essentially catch percentage for all realistically-catchable targets, so Harris typically delivers when receiving a good pass."

https://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/2019/08/11/throw-it-and-harris-will-catch-it/
"Oruwariye grabbed hold of Harris’ left arm as the ball arrived. Harris casually snagged it with his right hand, brought it to his chest, and wrapped both arms around the ball just to be safe.This has been the book on Maurice Harris forever.Just ask his first cousin, two-time Pro Bowl receiver Keenan Allen.“He has unbelievable hands,” said Allen, who is entering his seventh season with the Chargers. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen him drop a pass. Just his ability to track the ball, his hand-eye coordination… If you throw it up, he’s going to get it.”

You don't think Dorsett is a lock?

PROS: Reliable, knows the system, has Brady's trust, and seems well received in the locker room.

CONS: Speed seems to be his only game, does not win jump balls, does not play special teams, and I have never seen him play EXTENSIVELY inside/in the slot before.

Everybody else besides Edelman/Berrios/Slater is over 6'2" and can win jump balls.....

It would seem pretty likely that there's going to be a shift de-emphasizing the TE's in the passing game, simply due to the talent distribution. But whether that shifts heavier to 3/4 WR sets, or 2 RB - 2 WR sets remains to be seen.

Given BB's opponent-specific game plans, I'd wager that he is aiming to do either, with equal effectiveness, depending on opponent's personnel and tendencies.

If Michel is suddenly a viable pass catching option, the versatility of Michel, White, Burkhead, and even (based in college tape) Damien Harris, I see the opportunity to exploit the rare heavy box horizontally, and the more likely light box with the Develin/Michel hammer.

The trick/unanswered question is whether we have a TE or big WR to help on a LB with the pound-em attack. Having the best G tandem in the league may help. How many times did we see Mason in particular take out a D-lineman, then take out a LB too?

I am getting geeked about the possibilities.

Or released
Yea he'd save the team $2m but I think he has value to a team that runs the same kind of offense or like him as a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes