PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Mod-edited title] Edelman unlikely to be able to play full season; no plans to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see what he has left before putting him out to pasture........One player isn't going to make or break the Pats season unless it's Cam :)

Was hoping it was Jonathan Endelman having the knee issues. Sad to see its Jules. Great career. Superbowl herox3. Especially in 14 and 16.

I think we sort of expected this given the various reports. A true professional and a great Patriot , easy for me to say but if the injury is proving difficult to treat/heal then why potentially take even more punishment , time to consider his options.

Title of this thread exaggerates the content of that story.

story says Jules is unlikely to play entire season, but implies he may play some of it. Thread title says he’s out for entire season, which is not the same thing.

personally I think he should hang it up, he’s done everything we could ask and more. He deserves to be able to walk after football.

although after watching his career it would not surprise me if he ends up being the first player in the NFL to be playing on artificial knees. I’d recommend the surgeon who replaced my knee, if he wants to give it a try.

Reminds me of Dustin Pedroia. Keeps thinking he can push through it, but no, the knee wins in the end.

(I've had a bone-on-bone knee for 20 years now, and it sucks.)
I've had an artificial right knee for about three years. most of the time I totally forget I had it replaced. You should look into that. If you’re in Boston or DC I can recommend a couple of good knee surgeons...

Dude was a f***ing warrior. Took some serious hits and kept on fighting. That hit from chancellor in the SB would have destroyed any other man. If he hangs it up he was one of my favorite Patriots of all time. Thanks for everything Jules.

I've had an artificial right knee for about three years. most of the time I totally forget I had it replaced. You should look into that. If you’re in Boston or DC I can recommend a couple of good knee surgeons...
Been discussing it for a while, but there's a scarring problem (had a DVT from that) and there's concern about more surgeries. I can still function - softball, walking, etc. - but no basketball, street hockey, jogging....

Question: can you RUN on that knee?

Looks like Edelman is no longer in the Pats' plans. Bedard said last week that his sources said that the Pats intend for him to either retire or they would help him hook up with another team. This news seems to seal that.

Edelman went from a guy most people didn't think would make it one year in the NFL to what at least some think was a HOF career (definitely Patriot HOF at least). He has nothing to prove in coming back.

Looks like Edelman is no longer in the Pats' plans. Bedard said last week that his sources said that the Pats intend for him to either retire or they would help him hook up with another team. This news seems to seal that.

Edelman went from a guy most people didn't think would make it one year in the NFL to what at least some think was a HOF career (definitely Patriot HOF at least). He has nothing to prove in coming back.
....and if he is in fact looking for a reduced role they certainly aren't keeping him at his current cap # of $6.1m

Been discussing it for a while, but there's a scarring problem (had a DVT from that) and there's concern about more surgeries. I can still function - softball, walking, etc. - but no basketball, street hockey, jogging....

Question: can you RUN on that knee?
Yes. I don’t run much, got out the habit before the hip replacement a decade ago, actually more like after receiving the dead guy’s ACL twenty years ago. I have run short distances since recovering from both of them. I’m cleared for full activity, biking is a big part of my normal activities, also hiking on any terrain. Last year I was tempted to strap on skis again, just for old times sake. FYI the knee that was replaced has a cadaver ACL from an MVA back in 2000. For the replacement the surgeon had to remove a screw securing the ACL (no longer needed as it’s long past fully fused) to resolve interference with the anchor for the artificial knee, but that was the only complication. Also have some scarring down the outside of the calf from relieving pressure and cleaning up around the peroneal nerve post MVA, but it was no factor for the replacement. I had a wonderful surgeon for both joint replacements, a also for the knee reconstruction after I wrapped my car around a tree. Not the same guy, but I’d argue the best knee surgeons in DC and Boston, respectively.

I got my Edelman jersey before the 2011 season. I remember when rooting for him here got you the same type of **** you'd get for saying you still have hopes for N'Keal now.

Yup, patting myself on the back until my hand goes numb then transitioning into The Stranger because I deserve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes