PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Mod-edited title] Edelman unlikely to be able to play full season; no plans to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's bone on bone and was exploring a knee cartilage transplant. Sounds like it didn't work as well as he hoped.
This is my thinking as well, Love Edelman, he’s a Patriot HOF player, but he should retire before he does more damage to himself. I would love to see Belichick add him as a WR coach as he knows as much as anyone when it comes to maximizing his potential and abilities.

Everyone said that about Gronk in 2018. And he just won another SB with 2 TDs in the SB.
Gronkowski said it about Gronkowski, and given the beating he had taken how could anyone have disagreed with it

Everyone said that about Gronk in 2018. And he just won another SB with 2 TDs in the SB.
1618069005589.gif

You are a true dual posting threat. If you are not carpet-bombing a thread with your anti-BB negativity on behalf of your butt-chinned hero, you are wasting our time with nonsensical drivel.

Gronk had clearly lost a step from years of violent collisions and lower body shots, was tired of taking a beating every week and also was pissed that his head coach wouldn’t recognize the above and ease up of him during the week. He had lost his love of football. He was able to mentally and physically (because he did not have an active career-threatening injury) recover for a year and then stayed healthy all of 2020, although he wasn’t able to regain that lost step.

Edelman has taken a similar beating during his career but now has a chronic knee condition (speculation is bone on bone but we don’t know the exact injury/condition) that by all accounts cannot be fixed with rest or surgery. He has apparently admitted that he doesn’t know if his knee will allow him play in 2021, despite what will be 11 months of rest and rehab (after a clean-up surgery) by the time he season starts. He has a career-ending level injury and if he tries to play will be playing at significantly less than 100% and in pain, at a position that puts a tremendous amount of stress on the knees. He will always be one game or even one route from ending up with a knee joint that is filled with inflammatory fluid. The drive and love of the game is still there for Jules but his body (specifically his knee) is clearly saying “NO MAS”.

APPLES AND ORANGES

View attachment 32037

You are a true dual posting threat. If you are not carpet-bombing a thread with your anti-BB negativity on behalf of your butt-chinned hero, you are wasting our time with nonsensical drivel.

Gronk had clearly lost a step from years of violent collisions and lower body shots, was tired of taking a beating every week and also was pissed that his head coach wouldn’t recognize the above and ease up of him during the week. He had lost his love of football. He was able to mentally and physically (because he did not have an active career-threatening injury) recover for a year and then stayed healthy all of 2020, although he wasn’t able to regain that lost step.

Edelman has taken a similar beating during his career but now has a chronic knee condition (speculation is bone on bone but we don’t know the exact injury/condition) that by all accounts cannot be fixed with rest or surgery. He has apparently admitted that he doesn’t know if his knee will allow him play in 2021, despite what will be 11 months of rest and rehab (after a clean-up surgery) by the time he season starts. He has a career-ending level injury and if he tries to play will be playing at significantly less than 100% and in pain, at a position that puts a tremendous amount of stress on the knees. He will always be one game or even one route from ending up with a knee joint that is filled with inflammatory fluid. The drive and love of the game is still there for Jules but his body (specifically his knee) is clearly saying “NO MAS”.

APPLES AND ORANGES

Wasn't there stories that Gronk's leg looked like a tree stump, it was so full of fluids after the Superbowl? Everyone said he was finished. Maybe Edelman's injury is worse, but too soon to tell.

“I was in tears in my bed after a Super Bowl victory,” he said.

Gronk was struggling to walk after the game. For at least four weeks, he said he was dealing with pain so severe that he couldn’t sleep for longer than 20 minute of the night. He underwent three procedures to drain the internal bleeding in his thigh. In totality, medical providers drained one liter of fluid from his leg, which is what Gronk said was a “hospital record.”

“It’s not normal,” he told reporters in New York.

Jules was playing amazingly well last season when he went under. Personally, I think that the Gunner has the tools to grow into the role, but I'd love Jules to be there even as a part-timer.
Eh, not really. Had a decent game vs Miami and was amazing vs Seattle but otherwise was a corpse out there.

I think he’s had an NFL HOF career. Easily. His post season and Super Bowl records should solidify that.
I doubt he gets serious consideration but he makes for an interesting case given the post season records and SB MVP.

I don’t think there’s currently precedent for it but there should be exceptions for great post season players.

Early fan of The Squirrel here. Forum experts opined that Jules was no Welker and a scrub. He's had a great career. Hope he retires as who wants to spend their last several decades with mobility problems?

Patriots legend. His best days are clearly over and the smart decision would be for us to move on.

Pats should release him so he can sign a vet min with the Bucs. Perhaps he can also catch some SB TDs like our ex receivers Gronk and AB.

Pats should release him so he can sign a vet min with the Bucs. Perhaps he can also catch some SB TDs like our ex receivers Gronk and AB.
You seeem like a really unhappy individual.

haha au contraire, I am regularly referred to by friends and family as beaming with positivity and optimism.
I hope so.

haha au contraire, I am regularly referred to by friends and family as beaming with positivity and optimism.

1618105890638.gif
Then this is how I imagine a get-together with your “friends”.

Wasn't there stories that Gronk's leg looked like a tree stump, it was so full of fluids after the Superbowl? Everyone said he was finished. Maybe Edelman's injury is worse, but too soon to tell.

“I was in tears in my bed after a Super Bowl victory,” he said.

Gronk was struggling to walk after the game. For at least four weeks, he said he was dealing with pain so severe that he couldn’t sleep for longer than 20 minute of the night. He underwent three procedures to drain the internal bleeding in his thigh. In totality, medical providers drained one liter of fluid from his leg, which is what Gronk said was a “hospital record.”

“It’s not normal,” he told reporters in New York.

Good job wasting your time finding quotes and articles which did nothing to further your original post or address the main points of my reply. I don’t know if it’s a lack of intelligence or lack of reading comprehension or both but let me try again:

Gronk’s thigh hematoma was, I’m sure, very painful and it sounds frightening to someone without a medical background but it was not a career-threatening injury in his case. It was successfully treated with a medical procedure and physically he would have been 100% by the start of the 2019 training camp. The longer-term damage was psychological.

In contrast, Edelman has a chronic, degenerative knee condition that can’t be fixed or even adequately improved with rest or surgery. Mentally he is still “all-in” but his knee is unlikely to allow him to return to anywhere close to his former self.

I doubt he gets serious consideration but he makes for an interesting case given the post season records and SB MVP.

I don’t think there’s currently precedent for it but there should be exceptions for great post season players.
What will suck is mediocre, 125-121 Ellie Manning getting enshrined in the HOF because of two successful playoff runs while JE gets the shaft.

JE currently #2 in all-time playoff receiving yards
Unfortunately for his candidacy, tied for 46th in all-time playoff receiving TDs (5)
The man does have 82 playoff 1st down receptions (Jerry Rice 51)

Just a thought...there was some talk about Gronk taking too long to decide if he was going to retire which ended up us losing out on Cook for a TE. Is there the same issue around Edelman making a decision if he can play or not , leaving us without a No 1 receiver ? Maybe we should hear before the draft so the team could pick a replacement. Possibly a mix between Gunnar and Jacobi would take up those snaps.

Just a thought...there was some talk about Gronk taking too long to decide if he was going to retire which ended up us losing out on Cook for a TE. Is there the same issue around Edelman making a decision if he can play or not , leaving us without a No 1 receiver ? Maybe we should hear before the draft so the team could pick a replacement. Possibly a mix between Gunnar and Jacobi would take up those snaps.

I don't think so.bwe have Agholor, bourne, meyers. And bourne is your slot guy.

If Edelman retires and we need depth Byrd was decent here

@borg , sorry you are going to have to explain a bit for me .....lol , was I wrong to think Edelman was our No 1 receiver , I did not mean to get this mixed up with say Devante Adams or Stefon Diggs.....my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe