PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Reiss speculates brown and Roberts for golden tate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2017 offense overcame the loss of much more than Edelman.

They also lost their #2 in receiving yards and receiving TDs from 2016 (Bennett, in FA). They lost their #3 in receiving yards (Hogan) for half the season. They lost their 5th most-targeted pass-catcher (Mitchell) at about the same time as they lost Edelman (IOW, basically at the last minute).

They were without Gronk for two games. They were without White for two games. They were without they guy who ended up as their #2 receiving RB, Burkhead, for 6 games (and yet he still contributed 518 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs).

The Pats offense is never as fragile or weak as people think it's going to be, including both the ground game and passing attack. And the pass-catchers as group (including WRs) are almost never as shi tty as people think they are. And that's not solely "because Brady".

No you do realize they had a guy like cooks who had a thousand yards receiving year and amendola. I think people are concerned because we are gonna depend on a guy coming back from ACL and hogan who was injured a lot of last season. After that we have pretty much unknowns. I don’t trust dorsett or patterson.

I’m talking about the “waaah we never give Brady weapons” whining and the fact that it is sensible to spend fewer resources, not greater resources there, compared to elsewhere given that you have Brady.
Or the idea of decimating the dt position to add a wr.

How are you going to improve it? It is what it is.
A trade for a viable deep threat or end zone threat?

I’m talking about the “waaah we never give Brady weapons” whining and the fact that it is sensible to spend fewer resources, not greater resources there, compared to elsewhere given that you have Brady.
Or the idea of decimating the dt position to add a wr.

How are you going to improve it? It is what it is.

There’s a certain truth. The guy’s 41. He needs guys that can get open on a regular basis. He doesn’t have to try and fit balls into wrs or try to lecture them on a certain route.

A trade for a viable deep threat or end zone threat?
Who? And at what cost?
Are you planning to knock Edelman or hogan down to #3?
How is Patterson and Dorsett not good enough for #3? WR3 is a small role in our offense and WR4 almost non existent.

I love Pattersons potential but hes unproven in our offense.
Dorsett has been a disappointment as a 1st rounder.
Theres no guaranteeing he puts it all together.
Hogan is in a contract year and may not be here next season plus hes known to get banged up.
Edelman is the man is on the downside of his career though and coming off major injury
Count the fact Edelman is out the first 4 games and id say its a glaring need.
Decker was done.
Matthews got hurt
Britt either couldnt grasp it mentally never had the work mentallity or like Decker is too old or too burt to of been a help.
Id love to think the current receivers can do enough to open up things for Gronk and White and occasionally make plays themselves.
You argue thats all they have to do
I argue if you want to win a superbowl you are 1 to 2 offensive weapons away.
I think we can agree to respectfully disagree with each other.

Hogan is in a contract year and may not be here next season plus hes known to get banged up.
Edelman is the man is on the downside of his career though and coming off major injury
Valid questions but your answer is to throw Dez at the wall and see if it sticks?

Decker was done.
Matthews got hurt
Britt either couldnt grasp it mentally never had the work mentallity or like Decker is too old or too burt to of been a help.
Id love to think the current receivers can do enough to open up things for Gronk and White and occasionally make plays themselves.
You argue thats all they have to do
I argue if you want to win a superbowl you are 1 to 2 offensive weapons away.
I think we can agree to respectfully disagree with each other.
Well anyone you trade for will use no experience here, so that’s kinda a non issue.
Dorsett being a first rounder doesn’t make any difference to me. If he can build on what seems to be a good new rapport with Brady and catch 2-3 balls a game he fills his role just fine.
Hogan being in a contract year doesn’t affect this year and I wouldn’t write Edelman off just yet.
Trading real assets to get a guy for the first 4 games seems very knee jerk to me.
I don’t care much about guys that are gone.
Ultimately forctgis offense to operate at its peak we need 2 receivers playing full tome (Edelman and hogan have proven to be capable) third who catches 2-3 passes a game and a 4th sitting around waiting for an injury. Or 3/4 can be guys with different skill sets who share the job which looks like what we have.
Brady set Sb records with Amendola, hogan and Dorsett and the offense was definitely good enough to win the SB.

Would it be nice to have starting caliber wr to play weeks 1-4 then be a slight bit better than Patterson or Dorsett the rest of the season? Sure but it’s much less of an issue than it’s being made out to be.

And yes we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dez Thomas or Julio Jones.
If dez wa who you think he is, he would already be here. Actually 31 other teams would be fighting over him.

But what he is, is a dumb guy who can’t kearn our offense, who has off the field problems that require hiring a chaperone, whose skills have severely eroded, and who will sulk like a baby when he comes here and plays 10 snaps a game because he can’t figure out his routes.

He is unemployed for a reason.

Why in the world would Atlanta trade Julio, and what are you giving up? 2 firsts?

Additionally we would have to make other move to fit him under the cap and Atlanta just restructured him moving cap $ from 18 and 19 into 20, why would they be trading him? They would take a big dead money hit as well.

Valid questions but your answer is to throw Dez at the wall and see if it sticks?

i mean it can’t hurt at this point. We brought in Malcolm Floyd for one year and he didn’t play much but gave us some depth. If Bill is going to make any move, he’s going to wait until roster cuts to see who is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back