PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Pennel released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think Bedard is a fan , just based on the player news section he is the main detractor , maybe he bust his fantasy football team in the past:(
Bedard doesn't have to be a fan but he doesn't have to be a lard ass either.

Has Parry really shown himself ready to be one of the 3 run-stuffing DT's? Butler is an inside pass rusher. BTW, I could see Parry or Cowart competing for one of the last defensive roster spots with Rivers and ObiWan.
====
If we cut Pennel, we would need to acquire another potential DT starter. I suppose that we could acquire a backup, if we all of a sudden think of Shelton as a starter.
====
BOTTOM LINE
Pennel is worth having on the roster: as parter of the 3 man DT rotation, or even as a 9th or 10th DL.

FWIW their have been reports that Sheldon is playing / practicing very good right now. IMO Pennel is playing as well as he did last year...it's just that at the moment Sheldon is playing to his potential...which is a higher ceiling then Pennel. This is good camp competition...I like it.

Apologies are in order to the OP

Holy crap.

He was clearly behind Shelton.

I wonder if this opens the door for Parry?

I wonder why he wasn't successful here. Scheme?

Good for Shelton (who worked his ass off) and presumably Cowart.

Should we have a summary thread for all the releases that are coming up ? @Ross12 @ashley1992 ?

Last edited:
Why were y’all so high on him?

Admittedly I bought into it after a while, but all he had was one stretch of a half season where he stuffed the run well. That’s it. Otherwise he spent years being a mediocre backup.

Yup. He was dead-on. It’s going to be interesting if we ever hear why. He seemed to be a good fit for the scheme.

It's not surprising if we consider what we have seen this year, the Coaching clearly wasn't satisfied

Too bad, i thought he was a good additon

Apologies @Brady6. You read the writing on the wall and were right. This time... beginner's luck... never happen again... blind aquirrel nut... stopped clock... etc, etc ;)

Wow. I was wrong about this one. Very concerned about the run defense.

Wow so I remember we all liked that signing and so did Wilfork.
BB always praised him before I wonder what was the problem.
Other than Shelton looking like the guy we thought we were getting and Cowart showing his potential

Holy crap.

He was clearly behind Shelton.

I wonder if this opens the door for Parry?

I wonder why he wasn't successful here. Scheme?

Feels like Cowart is definitely making the team now I would think. Playing with the 1's on Thursday, combined with this, and I see him cracking the 53. Which is good I think, infusing some youth into the DL is needed.

Time to table this thread until Friday morning when we can return to label the OP a genius or an idiot. (Sorry, B6, those are the only options available on fan message boards.)

Well, @Brady6 was a genius (or just lucky). Mea culpa - - I was one of those who gave you a laugh emoji originally. Undid it just now - - tip o' the hat and my compliments to you sir/madam.

And, Deus, 9 days in TC (from Day 2 to Day 11) is a long time in the TC world and things can change during that time period). What Bedard wrote on 8/5 was in a completely different time universe (TC-wise) than what the USA Today fella wrote on 7/27).

Last edited:
Doesn't this bode well for us? Pennel was a beast with NYJ and while it may be that he has declined, I'd rather believe that it's because the likes of Cowart and Shelton have impressed Belichick more.

Wow. I was wrong about this one. Very concerned about the run defense.

Why are you concerned about the run defense ? It means that Shelton -- who has looked very improved -- straight beat him out and Cowart has more pass rush value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes