PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Thomas?

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

"I think culturally, he fits in," Breer said. "He's tough, he's competitive, he's a little bit of a weird personality. But I certainly think if you wanted to solve your issue of not having a No. 1 receiver once and for all, I think Michael Thomas, stylistically as a receiver, is exactly what the Patriots would be looking for."

What would it take to get him?

Wouldnt them trading him be a higher cap hit?

Sign me up.

Ok that conundrum over. Hasn't he been a giant PITA all season?
He’s an odd character. That’s for sure. He’d immediately be our #1 wideout but I’m not so sure that he’s the type we need. We need burner that can move the other safety out of the box and that just isn’t Thomas’ game.

If they trade him after June 1, it's only a $6 million cap hit...
you going to pass on drafting a potential 1 wr in April at 15 on a promise that the saints will trade him to you June 1?

This wouldn't help the Saints' 2021 cap situation, but their cap issues go beyond 2021 too. If they don't think he's a major part of their path forward, then it makes sense to take the hit in 2021 in order to get him off the books completely in 2022 and beyond.

you going to pass on drafting a potential 1 wr in April at 15 on a promise that the saints will trade him to you June 1?

Um no. If the Pats acquire him, it will obviously have to be for picks from next year's draft or a player like Gilmore. That is, unless the Saints want to take a major cap hit.

Minus this year his stats are crazy. 149 receptions last year for 1700 yards and 9 tds.

He's been over 1k receiving each year.

He’s an odd character. That’s for sure. He’d immediately be our #1 wideout but I’m not so sure that he’s the type we need. We need burner that can move the other safety out of the box and that just isn’t Thomas’ game.
We need any WR or TE that's good

BB and SP are thick as thieves. If he’s not a d-bag, I wonder if they’d trade for him. But the past season was really weird. Clearly major issues with attitude.

Last edited:
last time we traded for a saints wr....

Soft punk who vanishes in the playoffs. Hard pass.

Thomas is mercurial at best, he has punched numerous teamates. Without Brees, he could be a real problem. Especially if you bring him to the Pats and the Pats don't have anything resembling a quality NFL QB, you know like last year.

I would also take a hard pass on this one. If Brady was still the QB, sure, but anyone short of that, I doubt he stays focused.

We need any WR or TE that's good
We do. And Thomas would give us that... no doubt. But he’s also a kook with a limited route tree. That route tree strongly resembles Meyers’ in that Thomas isn’t a guy who stretches the field. We need that first and a chain-mover second. Otherwise, you’re still looking at a ton of Cover-1 with another safety in the box.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back