PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Onwenu

Incredible find of Onwenu. Makes Thuney or Mason expendable

I always feel good about an OLine pick due to Scar (in the past)

Yes - very happy I swung and missed on his draft evaluation. I thought he’d be perfect for a power running team like Pittsburgh, but that he wasn’t athletic or versatile enough to fit the NE scheme perfectly. I bet he woulda had a good combine and changed my mind in a normal year...

He's going to replace Thuney or Cannon, who I don't think will ever play again.

I know people still have that pipe dream that Thuney is going to re-sign here, but he's not. There's a reason he has not signed yet and that is Quinten Nelson. Thuney is going to be the 2nd highest paid guard behind Nelson.

Finding Onwenu in the 6th round is the only thing that keeps the 2020 draft from being a complete bust!!

HUH? Your another one who can't be bothered to listen to Belichick when it comes to kids drafted.. That you need to wait 3 years before truly evaluating them..

Dugger looks like the real deal.
Asiasi and Keene - Injuries happen
Herron - Looks to be able to take over the RT position. Saw time at both LT and RT before the ankle injury.
Maluia - Has been constantly getting Special Teams snaps.
Uche - was dealing with an injury but is healthy now.
Jennings - Hard to tell with the defense playing as poorly as it has been..

Finding Onwenu in the 6th round is the only thing that keeps the 2020 draft from being a complete bust!!
Likely 2011 Offseason comments:

Wow - 2009 draft was a complete dud. No way they pick up next years option on Chung and I have no idea why Edelman has not been cut yet. 4 catches for 34 yards this season? Are you kidding me.
Gronk looks good and that Hernandez kid really looks like he turned his life around. WHY they chose McCourty instead of Dez Bryant I will never know. What a complete bust at CB. Another brilliant BB move.
2nd round pick for Vereen? Did he even make it on the field? Oh yeah - he had 15 carries for the entire year in garbage time. Solder looks serviceable. No idea why they took Cannon - got a few snaps in 2nd half of year so maybe he can become a solid backup.

As an optimist I am waiting to hear this in a couple years:

Really enjoy having the best running game in football. Harris is best RB team has ever had though who could not run through the giant holes Owenu and Herron are opening. Duggar reminds me of Rodney. Uche is playing like a young Andre Tippett.

Wow - 2009 draft was a complete dud. No way they pick up next years option on Chung and I have no idea why Edelman has not been cut yet. 4 catches for 34 yards this season? Are you kidding me.
Gronk looks good and that Hernandez kid really looks like he turned his life around. WHY they chose McCourty instead of Dez Bryant I will never know. What a complete bust at CB. Another brilliant BB move.
2nd round pick for Vereen? Did he even make it on the field? Oh yeah - he had 15 carries for the entire year in garbage time. Solder looks serviceable. No idea why they took Cannon - got a few snaps in 2nd half of year so maybe he can become a solid backup.

Really enjoy having the best running game in football. Harris is best RB team has ever had though who could not run through the giant holes Owenu and Herron are opening. Duggar reminds me of Rodney. Uche is playing like a young Andre Tippett.
This is so true. My God.

Anyone who was calling McCourty a bust after one dominant season and one bad season (which was salvaged at the end by moving him to safety) was an idiot. I know those people exist and the point you're making is that those people were wrong, but I don't see too many young players on this team who have shown the promise McCourty did so early into their respective careers, so I don't see that as a good comparison. He already had an All Pro season under his belt.

Anyone who was calling McCourty a bust after one dominant season and one bad season (which was salvaged at the end by moving him to safety) was an idiot. I know those people exist and the point you're making is that those people were wrong, but I don't see too many young players on this team who have shown the promise McCourty did so early into their respective careers, so I don't see that as a good comparison. He already had an All Pro season under his belt.
I think JC Jackson could be a future star and a #1 CB. I am a huge fan of McCourty but he was being called out regularly after his 2nd season and when compared to Bryant.

You've really given up on Uche, Dugger, Jennings and Herron?? All 4 are going to be long term starters for us.
Uche might become ok possibly, but he wasn't worth the trade-up...and certainly not ahead of Jeremy Chinn, among others...

NFW is Uncle Dugg even close to being worth the 37th pick of the entire feckin draft...

Jennings is WAAAYYY to slow for OLB, if not for even DE...If he can't supplant JaWrong at MLB then he's feckin useless...

Herron is backup-caliber, not starting-caliber.

I like our class of 2020 thus far.

Duggar was a major reach and the kicker was pure nonsense, but the others all make sense and should all be contributors next season.

I know people still have that pipe dream that Thuney is going to re-sign here, but he's not. There's a reason he has not signed yet and that is Quinten Nelson. Thuney is going to be the 2nd highest paid guard behind Nelson.
Fun fact: the Pats have 26 players signed for 2022, more than 2/3 of teams. But they have IIRC the second-most cap space of any team for 2022. So they could afford to pay Thuney big bucks.

I have no idea what's going to happen with Thuney. It boils down to how much they're willing to pay and how much he's willing to accept.

I like our class of 2020 thus far.

Duggar was a major reach and the kicker was pure nonsense, but the others all make sense and should all be contributors next season.
Uche never should've been drafted ahead of Jeremy Chinn or Zach Baun...

Jennings is a lumbering plodder who was more deserving of a 5th-round pick than a late 3rd...

And don't even start on the TEs...

Uche never should've been drafted ahead of Jeremy Chinn or Zach Baun...

Jennings is a lumbering plodder who was more deserving of a 5th-round pick than a late 3rd...

And don't even start on the TEs...
Ahh Yes.. The Wannabe GM who has never won thinks he knows more than Belichick.. SMH.. You're schtick was old a decade ago and you keep spewing the same crap over and over. And you're wrong again and again. You never learn.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back