PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Onwenu

Fun fact: the Pats have 26 players signed for 2022, more than 2/3 of teams. But they have IIRC the second-most cap space of any team for 2022. So they could afford to pay Thuney big bucks.

I have no idea what's going to happen with Thuney. It boils down to how much they're willing to pay and how much he's willing to accept.
From the offseason reports, they were far apart in discussions. At this point, it makes more financial sense for Thuney to go to FA and see what he can get. Quinten Nelson will be the first domino to fall as it will determine what Thuney's can't ask for.

And you bring up a good point. Pats will have plenty to spend and Thuney knows it. There's hardly any big contracts on this team, especially at QB. So I see Thuney using that against them. His mentality is either pay or let me walk.

Last edited:
Incredible campaign so far. To be a rookie and to have had shown so much versatily to play 4 positions on the line speaks volumes about the guy.

Last edited:
Onwenu had his best pass-blocking performance at tackle to date. He didn’t allow a single pressure on 43 pass-block snaps and was the highest-graded right tackle of the week on true pass sets. Onwenu had 19 true pass sets on the day, with 13 of those coming against J.J. Watt, and he didn’t lose a single one. Watt may be in the midst of a down year to his standards, but that’s still incredible work by the sixth-round rookie.

Onwenu had his best pass-blocking performance at tackle to date. He didn’t allow a single pressure on 43 pass-block snaps and was the highest-graded right tackle of the week on true pass sets. Onwenu had 19 true pass sets on the day, with 13 of those coming against J.J. Watt, and he didn’t lose a single one. Watt may be in the midst of a down year to his standards, but that’s still incredible work by the sixth-round rookie.

Who was Watt going against when he was able to knock down the 4 passes that he did?

Who was Watt going against when he was able to knock down the 4 passes that he did?

batted passes are not something the offensive lineman should be responsible for.

Hitting the passing windows is the qb’s responsibility.

He was also the guy who made the awesome block on Harris' touchdown , made the full body dive to clear the path

Spamming the thread with the same gigantic screenshot in consecutive posts, especially when the person in the screenshot has already owned up to being wrong about the post in the screenshot, is pointless. Some may call the Captain a troll but this is worse.

Spamming the thread with the same gigantic screenshot in consecutive posts, especially when the person in the screenshot has already owned up to being wrong about the post in the screenshot, is pointless. Some may call the Captain a troll but this is worse.
1606406378212.gif

I had a quick look on the web and there was a site that showed all 4 ? of the batted down passes. I think Onwenu slipped and fell on one , a defender was in Cam's face for another. Apart from the one Onwenu slipped , Watt never got close to Cam and he had time to throw. I dont know if preventing defenders batting down passes is part of the responsibility or not , if yes then hopefully he will learn.

I had a quick look on the web and there was a site that showed all 4 ? of the batted down passes. I think Onwenu slipped and fell on one , a defender was in Cam's face for another. Apart from the one Onwenu slipped , Watt never got close to Cam and he had time to throw. I dont know if preventing defenders batting down passes is part of the responsibility or not , if yes then hopefully he will learn.
I’ve heard former coaches say they teach OL to punch the stomach of DL trying to bat passes.

batted passes are not something the offensive lineman should be responsible for.

Hitting the passing windows is the qb’s responsibility.
Interesting... Because for the past 25+ years, that's always been something I looked at. Whether the O-linemen kept his man tied up so they couldn't jump/swat the balls down..

Interesting... Because for the past 25+ years, that's always been something I looked at. Whether the O-linemen kept his man tied up so they couldn't jump/swat the balls down..

last time I looked keeping a man tied up so they couldn’t bat passes down could be called holding!

for those of us that have actually played this game, we know that defensive line coaches teach their defensive line guys to try and bat down passes if they can’t get to the qb.

I’ve heard former coaches say they teach OL to punch the stomach of DL trying to bat passes.
Yeah if the defender is jumping up with his arms in the air, the OLmen are taught to give a good punch with either their hands or their shoulder right into the stomach/waist/hips/thigh area to get them to fall on their asses or, if they get flipped over, on their heads...

Yeah if the defender is jumping up with his arms in the air, the OLmen are taught to give a good punch with either their hands or their shoulder right into the stomach/waist/hips/thigh area to get them to fall on their asses or, if they get flipped over, on their heads...
They're taught to make "jumpers" pay for sure. Put them on their ass. Push them over when they're in the air and make them think twice about it. I remember saying it about Wynn earlier in the year, he's got a lil better at it. It's really not on the OL though. This is strictly a QB staring down his targets and making it obvious. He's tied for 1st with Ben at 11.

Some great replies there , I guess JJ has a height advantage and does not weigh so much so would favour jumping up over Onwenu. I did laugh at the various "solutions" re stopping the DLinemen from jumping up in the air ........fair enough in life in the trenches !

last time I looked keeping a man tied up so they couldn’t bat passes down could be called holding!

for those of us that have actually played this game, we know that defensive line coaches teach their defensive line guys to try and bat down passes if they can’t get to the qb.
Clearly you have a different idea of what it means for an O-linemen to tie up the D-linemen than I do. Which explains why I stopped taking your evaluations with any seriousness. The O-lineman continuing his block so that the D-lineman has to focus on him and not on getting his arms up is what I'm talking about.

For those of us who actually played this game, we know that you can't get your arms up if you are focused on the O-lineman who has his hands on you and is blocking you still.

You shouldn't make asinine comments about others when you don't know their background.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back