PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Floyd is a beast !

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 out of those 3 incidents are for underage drinking, you'd be hard pressed to find an underage kid who doesn't drink with their friends on weekends.

Sure. But how many underage kids on the path to athletic stardom who have already been arrested twice for underage drinking aren't able to adjust their behavior, and go on to multiple arrests for drunk driving?

When facing consequences again and again doesn't change your choices about alcohol, that's a pretty clear sign of a problem.

Sure:

Source: Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (CBSSports.com draft profile)

Floyd has been getting into trouble with alcohol since he was a teenager, and despite arrests and being suspended from his college team, he hasn't stopped drinking. He has a problem.

Seriously, people here lack reading comprehension.

We all know about his issues in college which is what I also said in my post. But others have referred repeatedly to alcohol issues in the last few years and everytime you ask them for a source they can't come up with one. I have spend some time searching for that when we first signed him but since I couldn't find anything I assume that's all bogus crap.

Until someone can actually find something real I don't see how you can have the arrogance to claim he is an alcoholic if there were more than 5 years between the last two known DUI issues. You can't hide an addiction to alcohol in a locker room and there is no on/off switch for it when in the offseason vs. during the season.

Personally, all his recent DUI tells me that in this instance Floyd was just an egoistic asshat with incredibly bad judgement.

Here a great shot of the impossible TD play.
One part of the miracle is that he was able to keep the ball through all this..

Imagine how different the aftermath of the game would look for him if he fumbled..
It looks like he is fighting for his life here (which might not be far from the truth)

2 out of those 3 incidents are for underage drinking, you'd be hard pressed to find an underage kid who doesn't drink with their friends on weekends.
You'd also be hard-pressed to find a lot of underaged kids who have transitioned to adulthood who have been arrested 4 times for alcohol-related offenses, with the worst one, by far, appearing to be the most recent one. Heck, everybody I knew drank in college, myself included. But once I joined the work force and became an adult, I was able to keep my drinking to an acceptable 1-2 drinks and that's it, unless I am at home and not driving anywhere.

Dude sucks. Did you see how long it took him to get it into the endzone with only 4 Dolphins on him?

Cut his soft ass.
th
Now, you're funny!

Imagine how different the aftermath of the game would look for him if he fumbled..
It looks like he is fighting for his life here (which might not be far from the truth)

Lol those dumb dolphins are not even trying to strip the ball. If you're going to let him in like that, at least strip it from him! Could have had it too with just one hand on the ball mostly.

Lol those dumb dolphins are not even trying to strip the ball. If you're going to let him in like that, at least strip it from him! Could have had it too with just one hand on the ball mostly.

He does have some grip with those beasty hands (+ lot's of reading material on them to distract defenders)

636174159065171583-C02-MICHAEL-FLOYD-87366156.JPG

Then again ..

upload_2017-1-8_5-51-26.png

Apologies if the following has already been mentioned, but another example of Floyd's potential here
was shown during the 2nd quarter, on the Pats next-to-last drive of the half. He runs an Out pattern
and catches the ball, by the tops of his out-stretched hands, and uses both sets of out-stretched toes
to stay in-bounds. That is a Big Man's play; and with all due respect to Edelman's catch the previous
week, not many players on this team would be able to make those plays on a consistent basis without
Brady throwing a perfect ball each and every time. And because Brady's margin of error is larger when targeting Floyd, those patterns can be run farther downfield while maintaining the play's probabability
of success.

Last edited:

I think it was Suh's push at the end that actually got him across the line.

I was thinking about why it didn't work out for Floyd in AZ. A good HC, a good QB (relatively), a good team (relatively). He's their big WR pick to go along with Fitzgerald. He's very talented and expectations are HIGH. In AZ he has the year everyone expects him to have in his 2nd year, but doesn't repeat it in 2014. 850 yds and 6 TD's is NOT a horrible year.....unless you are a #1 draft pick and SUPPOSED to be the focus of the offense by this time.

Over the last 2 years, he's only started 13 of a possible 28 games with AZ. I've read he has gone through some injury problems, but they haven't seemed enough to keep him out of games. So he clearly was on someone's sh#t list there. He wouldn't have be cut if he'd had over 1000 yds and 10 TDs, so they were pissed about his play as well, and weren't going resign him after the season. The Cardinals were a disappointing team going no where an needed to shake things up right after Miami beat them. Floyd's screw up was the perfect excuse to cut him. It sent a strong message to rest of the team. I get it. Might have done the same thing myself. The thing is that it couldn't have gone better for the Pats.

I think the point I'm trying to get to is that Michael Floyd is supposedly a very quiet guy who obviously has some demons. He doesn't have the strong ego centric personality WR's seem to have. Maybe he didn't react well to having to be THE guy. With the Pats he's never going to be THE guy. That's Brady's job. That's Gronk's job. He can be a guy with 3 catches 40yds and a great block and be appreciated for a super game, instead of railed at for not doing enough. THIS could be an atmosphere he can thrive in and be a productive WR and not have to get out of his comfort zone. Who here wouldn't take an 800 yd 8 TD season from one of our WR's, if Gronk, Bennett and Edelman, etc are on the team.

Not as close a follower of the Cards as I once was but I'll offer a couple of observations. He is a big receiver with good but without outstanding deep speed, and somewhat of a long strider. So he doesn't get lots of separation, but does have fairly good moves, tenacity, and above average hands as attested by his First round draft. I just think the Cards misused him, sending him deep outside. I think BB sees him more appropriately used as a Hernandez type receiving TE, where his hands and moves are better utilized. The alternative job of intermediate deep receiver is occupied by a future HOF on the Cards.

I hope the Pats can use Floyd in a way that plays to his strengths. He's shown some bad.... but also a lot of good

I love to have the weapon, and its ok to play him against the Scrimage last weekend but now the real playoffs are here. Floyd has to be on his A game. We might need him too, with Mitchell banged up and Amendola hasn't caught a meaningful pass since .. awhile. Not to mention Hogan is now dealing with a quad injury. And obviously Bennett has just not been very impressive. We still have Edelman, White and Lewis if all else fails. And we can always run LG for a few yards. It would be great to see LG running wild against the Steelers, that would pretty much equal a win for us.

If everybody can go then he should sit, or simply just block. This is an offseason issue, his timing problems are leading to interceptions. In the AFC championship, the margin for error is just too small. He has no chemistry with Tom, therefore he provides little value besides blocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST