PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Floyd DUI Arrest Video Shows Him Passed Out at the Wheel (VIDEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a thread on one of the Cardinals forum that I was reading that goes back to October this year and back then there was some talk from fans that he might have a heavy drinking problem and the reason for his poor performance this year was because he was probably suffering from withdrawal on game days (essentially had the shakes if you've known any alchoholics that can't even write their own name straight without a drink first). NE will love Floyd - Page 6

Side note...that Cards forum is maybe one of the better ones I've seen, as far as the quality of posts go.

Yes, this is what concerns me. Suddenly with the Patriots involved this is going to become a big issue. Suddenly the NFL is going to become **** freaking tracy and is really good at talking to Police, tracking down leads, and finding out all the details of a case, getting all the relevant video evidence.

It is ridiculous.Maybe if they did that with the recent domestic abuse issue they would have 1/10 of a jot of credibility.

I'm not saying what he did was ok. I'm saying the reaction to it better not be disproportionate. I'm saying that the release of the video footage this soon is very strange. I'm saying that if the NFL suddenly becomes competent and thorough in its investigations (unlike with domestic violence and other teams) then something is definitely fishy.

Basically...F Goodell.

Yes I'm being a bit paranoid, but this is just strange.

Yea but I think it was more about suppressing the Giants' exposure as cheaters.

My new least favorite Patriot. I hate the spineless dui laws in this country, that should be jail time and long-term loss of license. No excuse whatsoever to get behind the wheel in that condition.

So, you want to put somebody in jail who made a mistake, but is otherwise a very productive member of our society? DUI is a judgment mistake that most people only make once. If somebody has multiple DUIs, that is something else, but texting and driving is much worse that DUI. Do you want to put texters in jail too?

Side note...that Cards forum is maybe one of the better ones I've seen, as far as the quality of posts go.
Wow, pretty impressive. I'm frankly surprised as I always look at Arizona as a secondary market with meh fan base. Maybe I was wrong.

While I don't want to minimize DUI's There are a couple of questions that I'd like the conservators of moral rectitude to answer for me.
Shouldn't everyone found to be knowingly driving with bad tires lose their jobs? I wonder, would those conservators of moral rectitude be similarly outraged by someone cause texting while driving?

There were actions and there were consequences. When do the tolerance, compassion, and redemption come into play. For if we can't get there, why not just take him out back and put a bullet in his head because there is still a chance he might drive drunk again. What will be enough. :rolleyes:

Nice post Ken - As I read the responses, all I could think was there but for the grace of God...... The only thing I disagree with is your use of the word "tolerance" - While compassion and redemption would be warranted for a person who recognizes his own bad judgment and is smart enough not to do it again (aka maturity), no one needs to be tolerant of DUI - This is something that puts other lives in danger including the perpetrator - and I don't think anyone should be tolerant of that. I hate the new politically correct usage of the word tolerant - it now seems to mean you have to accept a person's behavior and can't disagree with it or you are intolerant regardless of what he does. This word has been greatly misused.

Tolerant -
  • : willing to accept feelings, habits, or beliefs that are different from your own

• : able to allow or accept something that is harmful, unpleasant, etc.

So, you want to put somebody in jail who made a mistake, but is otherwise a very productive member of our society? DUI is a judgment mistake that most people only make once. If somebody has multiple DUIs, that is something else, but texting and driving is much worse that DUI. Do you want to put texters in jail too?

We have a soon to be driver in the RW household and was reading this the other day.

• Over 2.5 million people in the U.S. are involved in road accidents each year. The population of the US is just 318.9 million. At this rate, the American people could be extinct in two human lifespans. This is an astounding number of traffic accidents.
  • Of these, 1.6 million have a cell phone involved in them. That’s 64% of all the road accidents in the United States. Over half the road accidents in the States have cell phones involved, and if this doesn’t make you realize just how potent it is, what will?
  • 37,000+ people die in automobile crashes in the U.S every year
  • Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way.
  • Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.
  • 1 out of 4 car accidents in the US are caused by texting while driving.
  • Texting and driving is 6 times more likely to get you in an accident than drunk driving. That’s right, it is actually safer for someone to get wasted and get behind the wheel than to text and do it.

The 25 Scariest Texting and Driving Accident Statistics

Totally disagree with the bolded, but yes, I think overall that offenses that put others in danger should be treated as serious crimes with serious penalties. Distracted driving and dui are both in that category. To your first point, I believe in allowing judges to have leeway in sentencing and I am against mandatory minimums.
edit: distracted driving is much more common and accepted than drunk driving which plays out in the numbers posted while I was composing my post. As far as individual offenses go, dui is worse IMO.

Totally disagree with the bolded, but yes, I think overall that offenses that put others in danger should be treated as serious crimes with serious penalties. Distracted driving and dui are both in that category. To your first point, I believe in allowing judges to have leeway in sentencing and I am against mandatory minimums.
edit: distracted driving is much more common and accepted than drunk driving which plays out in the numbers posted while I was composing my post. As far as individual offenses go, dui is worse IMO.

You are disagreeing with science and facts.

Jail is such a stupid approach to changing behavior. It is based on barbaric beliefs about people and society. What's the point of taking someone out of a productive role in society and turning them into a short term cost and liability, and then handicapping their ability to be productive contributor afterwards? Just inane. There are much better solutions that provide the needed self reflection, humbling experience, and opportunity for recompense.

You are disagreeing with science and facts.
Post em up and I'll change my mind. My unsupported assertion is that in individual drunk driver is worse than an individual distracted driver but since there are more distracted drivers overall it is a greater overall threat.

All one has to do is drive down a busy road and pay attention to how many oncoming drivers are staring at their phone instead of watching the road to see how big an epidemic this is. This is not me making light of drunk driving.

Post em up and I'll change my mind. My unsupported assertion is that in individual drunk driver is worse than an individual distracted driver but since there are more distracted drivers overall it is a greater overall threat.

I already posted links to articles citing studies proving that texting is more dangerous than DUI.

Lol well thank you. Just had to verify you were serious. That was officially the dumbest post I've ever seen then.

And remember I'm a Jet fan. So that's saying A LOT!

I suppose you also don't believe in science and facts. Perhaps in your world, the Jets are a good team and water is indeed not wet.

Jail is such a stupid approach to changing behavior. It is based on barbaric beliefs about people and society. What's the point of taking someone out of a productive role in society and turning them into a short term cost and liability, and then handicapping their ability to be productive contributor afterwards? Just inane. There are much better solutions that provide the needed self reflection, humbling experience, and opportunity for recompense.

Depends on the violation

Violent crime- jail or death

Non-violent crime- fines, do charity, shovel dog poop, mandate therapy, military, follow the Jets for a year, listen to Justin Beiber, etc.

I already posted links to articles citing studies proving that texting is more dangerous than DUI.
It proves that texting/emailing and driving is terribly dangerous but I don't see any way you can make this an apples to apples comparison.
For example:
vB0BkdK.jpg

The guy who is drunk is impaired 100% of the time while the person texting or emailing is only impaired when they are texting.
2FklW

On a regular basis these days, I see people ignoring the basics of driving law......people running red lights, stop signs, basically not obeying any of the sign-rules out there

just like anything else, I think DUI should be based on the result as much as anything else........the fact is that more than 99% of drunk drivers get home

Floyd is a human like anyone else and I will defer to the judgement of our front office for whatever reasoning they have to claim him.

these holier than thou monkeys around here were critical of Bennett when he was first here, critical of Blount, critical of Branch.........they need to get off of their high horses and get over themselves

I suppose you also don't believe in science and facts. Perhaps in your world, the Jets are a good team and water is indeed not wet.

Well first off, of course the Jets are good! That's just common sense.

Secondly though, the lack of reasoning in your argument is astonishing.

Here's another true fact. Driving kills more people than swimming in the ocean with great white sharks during a chum session w/o a cage or any protective gear.

So is driving more dangerous than swimming with great whites?

..... answer below ....

No, driving is not more dangerous than swimming with great whites. More people die from driving because more people drive than swim with sharks.

Same with texting or distractions. Your average driver probably has like 5 cases of being distracted daily. Texting, coffee burn, hot chick in the other car, crying kids, nagging wife/chick... (Though wouldn't it be cool if your wife could get a ticket for nagging you?)

Hopefully your average driver isn't drunk driving 5 times daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST