PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

Yeah, they keep on wanting to ring the "cheap" bell over and over, DESPITE the evidence that the Pats have been at the top of the league in cash spending. Personally I don't get it, but mostly I don't care. Ringing that bell helps their bottom line.

It just comes down to how they use their $$$? If this is their receiving corps come September none of us will be happy about it. If Philip Dorsett is on the roster we will all be pissed. However, if Kraft is expecting a more dynamic offense, and they have the resources to achieve that, then we should expect some significant moves to come. Belichick is in charge, but he doesn’t operate in a vacuum.

But THAT is my point. Yes Jacobi's production is gone. Yes it has to be replaced. BUT we are just minutes into the process. Seem like people want solutions IMMEDIATELY when there is so much time to fix the problem. If there is STILL no obvious solution after the draft THEN I'll start to join the mob. But we are a LONG way till then.

I'll recall 2 examples from history to maybe help make you feel a bit more at ease.

1. There was a hue and cry when Welker left for Denver for a deal that looked like we could easily match. Later in the process, Bill got Danny Amendola AND Edelman began to develop into the guy we loved at the end of his career (BTW-he was an overnight sensation that took FIVE years to develop.....and that NO one wanted when he was a FA TWICE

2. Then there was a time,, and I forget the names, when Bill signed 2 vet DE's close to TC. Their signing produced a ripple of comment. Depth/.camp fodder was the expectations, and between they accounted for 20 sacks. Someone Help me out with the names and year.

I would guess Andre Carter was one of them.

But THAT is my point. Yes Jacobi's production is gone. Yes it has to be replaced. BUT we are just minutes into the process. Seem like people want solutions IMMEDIATELY when there is so much time to fix the problem. If there is STILL no obvious solution after the draft THEN I'll start to join the mob. But we are a LONG way till then.

I'll recall 2 examples from history to maybe help make you feel a bit more at ease.

1. There was a hue and cry when Welker left for Denver for a deal that looked like we could easily match. Later in the process, Bill got Danny Amendola AND Edelman began to develop into the guy we loved at the end of his career (BTW-he was an overnight sensation that took FIVE years to develop.....and that NO one wanted when he was a FA TWICE

2. Then there was a time,, and I forget the names, when Bill signed 2 vet DE's close to TC. Their signing produced a ripple of comment. Depth/.camp fodder were the expectations, and between they accounted for 20 sacks. that year. Someone Help me out with the names and year please.
Jabaal Sheard?

Mark Anderson and Andre Carter?

Anyone with hopes of Hopkins this should end those

a2b045ea8efe1e5705d603a654aef16d.png

Kraft is very cheap.

Or they are planning to trade for Hopkins or Juedy and couldn't afford to take on Meyers' contract on top of that.

The reality is IBWT is much more difficult after a year where we gave him the benefit of the doubt on the Patricia/Judge experiment. I'm still an IBWT guy, but it's much harder to stay patient this year than it has been in the past. I get it, we had twenty years of dynasty, we should stay patient, but we just pissed away a year of Mac's prime and it's hard to have patience when we see a decent home-grown talent at a decent price walk out the door.

But trades cannot be disclosed till Wednesday@4:00
When I say explosive. I mean more than 2 yards YAC. Someone who can get in the
why do trades when you have to expend draft capital. UFA is beneficial because you do not fritter away draft capital and when their time is up you can trade them to get compensatory picks.

No, that’s why it’s silly to proclaim this a bad decision when we’ve yet to respond with a wr move.

If after the draft our only move is say a Meyers for Dorsett swap then yes complain away.

Agree completely. I get the angst, but evaluate when they are done making moves. And I’m not suggesting September, but at least wait until the Draft is over. If they don’t upgrade over Meyers in that time people will have a very legitimate *****.

What everyone who thinks "this is fine because Pats offense was bad last year" doesn't seem to get is...
No FA WR comes in and does well the first year with the Pats. We have a curse with that. Welker & Moss were the only ones, 15 years ago.
Meyers staying is worth a lot more than some "hopeful FA" coming in. This is another "worst GM" move ever by BB. And they're stacking up so fast, we're losing perspective on the ineptitude level. Meyers was the heart of that WR corp.

Kind of a head scratcher. We need an influx of talent at WR. We don't have a number 1, and our best WR Meyers (who is a number 2) just left for a very reasonable contract. The Bourne / Parker / Thornton trio isn't keeping any DC up at night. I think we need to either trade for a legit WR and add one in the draft or spend 2 high draft picks (2 within the 1st 4 rounds) on WR. Our WR core was near the bottom of the league last year and we just got much worse.

The reality is IBWT is much more difficult after a year where we gave him the benefit of the doubt on the Patricia/Judge experiment. I'm still an IBWT guy, but it's much harder to stay patient this year than it has been in the past. I get it, we had twenty years of dynasty, we should stay patient, but we just pissed away a year of Mac's prime and it's hard to have patience when we see a decent home-grown talent at a decent price walk out the door.

It’s also a forum to talk football, so knee jerk reactions after free agency has started, or after each draft day are to be expected.

It just comes down to how they use their $$$? If this is their receiving corps come September none of us will be happy about it. If Philip Dorsett is on the roster we will all be pissed. However, if Kraft is expecting a more dynamic offense, and they have the resources to achieve that, then we should expect some significant moves to come. Belichick is in charge, but he doesn’t operate in a vacuum.
I don't know why people keep thinking that Bob Kraft has ANYTHING to do with what players are on this team. He might express any frustrations he has in a GENERAL sense to Bill, because he's a fan first, just like the rest of us. But as far as saying "go get this guy or draft this position first", he just doesn't do that.

Right from the beginning he gave Bill FULL operational control of the football operation, and he reaped 2 decades of unparallelled sucess. He's not going to start meddling now, just because we had a bump in the road. People who amass the kind of wealth he has don't think that way, nor should they.

I don't know man. I point out Chark, Juju, Odell, and I get chit on. I don't have an answer, I am not a GM in the NFL. Was Meyers as productive as he was because he was the only decent guy here, and everyone else sucked? I have no idea. Here's what I do know:

Bill sucks at identifying, drafting, developing true #1 WRs.
Bill has a very good if not great history with slot/possession type guys. Brown, Welker, Jules, and Meyers.
Bill has shown success in bringing in guys who can get the job done as free agents.
Bill has a very good track record of letting WRs leave here and not being great elsewhere.

There's a lot of guys out there who can play the position. I think Juju is a head case. Beckham would be fine, and I think he'll play for Bill. I have no idea on Hardman, he supposed to be a great athlete. There's plenty of older vets they could bring in, which they don't usually do.

Meyers is supposed to be the #1 guy out there, but he's very much a middle of the road guy. Everyone wants to be more dynamic, but that means we have to put up with them letting guys go while they try to do that, assuming that's what the plan is.

This type of market correction contract would put them in the running for a lot of guys, assuming that Meyers is indeed a top of market guy, according to the reports I read.
Odell is in a totally different category. 2x the salary.

Have you looked at Hardman's production? Playing with a HOF QB?

If the replacement for Meyers were obvious, there'd be no discussion. I think this is the point. It's just like this FA; I want posters to name the names of the people they would sign. Because hypotheticals about signing a good player in general get us nowhere.

The people calling Kraft cheap are unbelievable. Belichick has a blank check to run football operations as he sees fit, particularly when it comes to personnel. If BB believes a certain player is worth a certain amount, Kraft will 'OK' the contract. He cares deeply about the Patriots and wants to win.

It's beyond wrong to suggest the team refusing to match a particular contract has anything to do with Kraft being frugal, and dare I say in certain cases there is some antisemitism lurking behind those posts.

If you want to accuse BB of being cheap/miserly and overly disciplined when it comes to contract negotiations, fine, he's a fair target (I personally agree with BB's approach, but that's another discussion). Making this about Kraft is ridiculous.

What everyone who thinks "this is fine because Pats offense was bad last year" doesn't seem to get is...
No FA WR comes in and does well the first year with the Pats. We have a curse with that. Welker & Moss were the only ones, 15 years ago.
Meyers staying is worth a lot more than some "hopeful FA" coming in. This is another "worst GM" move ever by BB. And they're stacking up so fast, we're losing perspective on the ineptitude level. Meyers was the heart of that WR corp.
Danny Amendola has entered the chat.

Odell is in a totally different category. 2x the salary.

Have you looked at Hardman's production? Playing with a HOF QB?

If the replacement for Meyers were obvious, there'd be no discussion. I think this is the point. It's just like this FA; I want posters to name the names of the people they would sign. Because hypotheticals about signing a good player in general get us nowhere.
Ok. Give me a name.

It sounds like even McDaniels isn't all that high on Meyers. Not a lot of guarantees. It is basically an one year $16.5 million deal with an option for a second and third year.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back