PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Meyers to LV Raiders

It's beyond asinine to suggest the team refusing to match a particular contract has anything to do with Kraft being frugal, and dare I say in certain cases there is some antisemitism lurking behind those posts.
There are cheap people in all ethnic and religious groups.

Here is Meyer's best season ever (2021) next to Bourne's best season ever (2021).

Just to be clear; same exact year, team, QB, coordinator, same height, weight and similar measurables.

The big difference is Bourne is faster, played 358 fewer snaps and started 11 fewer games than Meyers did in 2021.

Qa5qIGN.png

Now tell me exactly what we're going to miss if we play Bourne in the slot instead of Meyers?

Then ask yourselves... is Meyers at 11 million per season, that much better than Bourne at 7 million per... is he better at all?

Here is Meyer's best season ever (2021) next to Bourne's best season ever (2021).

Just to be clear; same exact year, team, QB, coordinator, same height, weight and similar measurables.

The big difference is Bourne is faster, played 358 fewer snaps and started 11 fewer games than Meyers did in 2021.

Qa5qIGN.png

Now tell me exactly what we're going to miss if we play Bourne in the slot instead of Meyers?

Then ask yourselves... is Meyers at 11 million per season, that much better than Bourne at 7 million per... is he better at all?
Posters that say Bourne can't play the slot, proves they did not watch him in SF. He did a lot of dirty work there.

The reality is IBWT is much more difficult after a year where we gave him the benefit of the doubt on the Patricia/Judge experiment. I'm still an IBWT guy, but it's much harder to stay patient this year than it has been in the past. I get it, we had twenty years of dynasty, we should stay patient, but we just pissed away a year of Mac's prime and it's hard to have patience when we see a decent home-grown talent at a decent price walk out the door.
Yes you are right, but we DIDN'T piss away a year of prime, but a year off his development AND rookie contract. Bill FULLY swung and missed on his experiment with Judge and Patricia on the offensive side of the ball. It was done IMHO in order to keep the seat open until BOB got here. Whether it was worth it will be told as time goes one. But regardless, 2022 was BILL's mistake.

We still have Mac under contract for another 3 years. 4 years if you count a "franchise tag year. But it really takes 4 or 5 years before a starting NFL QB enters his "prime" years, I think. Brady still thought he was evolving as he entered his 40's

Welker & Moss were the only ones, 15 years ago.
Moss wasn't a FA. He was brought here by trade. WW was a RFA but the Pats traded for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
If Bourne was a better slot receiver than Meyers, why did Meyers play that position primarily and not Bourne? Why didn't Bourne start more games?

Posters that say Bourne can't play the slot, proves they did not watch him in SF. He did a lot of dirty work there.
Almost played entirely in the slot in San Francisco.

If Bourne was a better slot receiver than Meyers, why did Meyers play that position primarily and not Bourne? Why didn't Bourne start more games?
Bourne had better speed to play outside the hashes, Jakobi is slow.

why do trades when you have to expend draft capital. UFA is beneficial because you do not fritter away draft capital and when their time is up you can trade them to get compensatory picks.
Ok, don't "fritter away" draft capital, but also, don't overrate it either. Draft picks can hit, miss, or be in between. With a trade you're typically going for a player with a known track record, one that presumably has shown they are a productive NFL player, one you project fits well into your scheme. A lot of college talent never transitions into the NFL successfully.

Also, a lot of talent never makes it to UFA since the team that has the player knows they aren't going to re-sign the player a year in advance for various reasons (the team thinks the player wants too much, the team doesn't have cap space, the team already has cheaper players at the position ready to move up) so they are gonna trade that player instead of letting them hit UFA status and get nothing in return.

Your philosophy is fine, but there still are times/places where trading draft capital for proven NFL talent makes sense.

I like Bourne. But he shrinks at taking the kinds of hits Meyers did

Office politics and as @Wozzy said, you can't put Meyers on the outside.

I like Bourne. But he shrinks at taking the kinds of hits Meyers did
I don't even want Bourne to play in the slot, I want him to be the glue guy who fills all the holes.

I want them to find someone better than Meyers and Bourne to play in the slot.

Point is, Bourne can give you what Meyers did or possibly better for 4 million less per season.

They didn't have to overpay for "good." This is something I said before Meyer's left.

Not surprised at all

Is it a bad decision f they use that $$$ to go get a true # 1?
My mind would be changed if we got a true #1 but is there reason to believe that will happen given our history? Last time that happened was 16 years ago.

I don't even want Bourne to play in the slot, I want him to be the glue guy who fills all the holes.

I want them to find someone better than Meyers and Bourne to play in the slot.

Point is, Bourne can give you what Meyers did or possibly better for 4 million less per season.

They didn't have to overpay for "good." This is something I said before Meyer's left.
Agree but he was ****ed with in 2022. Do you think he's going to want to stick around after 2023? I doubt it. He envies Jacobi right now.

why do trades when you have to expend draft capital. UFA is beneficial because you do not fritter away draft capital and when their time is up you can trade them to get compensatory picks.
Still pissed off from this time last year that they traded this year's 3rd for no separation Parker and a 5th. I don't know why people were so high on the guy - with a number of people happy here that "[we finally got a true #1 if he stays healthy]." I knew those snaps that went to Parker were gonna be taken away from Bourne. We'll see how it goes this year. Hopefully it works out well with BOB.

Heck let's go for another forum recent favorite, almost-as-bad-at-separation Allen Robinson. Let's back up the truck for the trade!

I don't know why people keep thinking that Bob Kraft has ANYTHING to do with what players are on this team. He might express any frustrations he has in a GENERAL sense to Bill, because he's a fan first, just like the rest of us. But as far as saying "go get this guy or draft this position first", he just doesn't do that.

Right from the beginning he gave Bill FULL operational control of the football operation, and he reaped 2 decades of unparallelled sucess. He's not going to start meddling now, just because we had a bump in the road. People who amass the kind of wealth he has don't think that way, nor should they.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Kraft have Myra's family to thank for all his wealth? Myra's father was also the one who helped him with the paper company and much of the seed money for the Pats, no?

I'd be impulsive enough to buy a football team (which is the biggest source of his wealth) if I had all that money available to me at the time too.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back