PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged: Thoughts on picks/compensation for Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Would Moss leaving via FA after 2010 get us 3rd rnd comp. pick?

According to AdamJT13 it couldn't be higher than a 5th. And it would be in the 2012 draft.

And lets not forget the labor deal ends this year.. So this rule of being compensated might not be there next year..

Re: Read this - it helps....double picks

if a third round pick is the compensation, then this is the worst trade in NFL history.
What...even worse than the Raiders trading Randy to the Patriots for a fourth round pick when he was 3 years younger :eek:

Last edited:

why would they start now? especially with all the draft picks they need to find homes for.

because it doesn't necessarily work to have 75% of your roster be rookies, 2nd year, and 3rd year guys. because success has always been predicated on a combination of drafting (seymour, brady, warren, koppen, branch, givens, graham, etc) with a decent amount of FA and trade acquisitions (vrabel, phifer, harrison, hamilton, pleasant, washington, dillon, welker, moss)

draft picks are good to draft with, but they are also a pretty valuable commodity in trading for players. and since you can't trade compensatory picks, this oone is worth much more.

the pats will be in a very good spot to draft as well as acquire specific players. now only if they indeed play a 2011 season

With this in mind, how does trading Moss make the Patriots better in 2010?

Sums up how i feel. The only answer is the chemistry stuff i guess.

Last edited:

And lets not forget the labor deal ends this year.. So this rule of being compensated might not be there next year..

The draft is still on regardless of if a new labor deal is done, so YES, Moss leaving at the end of the year would garner a comp pick (if the Pats don't go out and sign a few high priced free agents (yeah, like that is going to happen).

Last year, the Bengals lost Stacy Andrews and TJ Houshamazilli, and they got a 3rd and a 4th round comp picks!
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...32-total-compensatory-draft-picks-to-19-teams

So the Pats would EASILY receive the same for losing Moss and Mankins!!

This is why trading him for a thrid round pick, and one that would be at the very edn of the thrid round to boot, makes absolutely no SENSE!!!!

Last edited:
Re: Read this - it helps....double picks

YE of little faith..............

How soon you all forget!!

The guy is a malcontent now and surely gone after the season.

I trust in BB

We"ll see

Last edited:
Plus, he may return like a pissed off ghost of Marcus Allen on Halloween and destroy you on October 31....

The mercenary nature of the NFL...while maybe a good move in the long run, it reminds me of Seymour being traded last year--hands down, you are fielding a weaker club without him. That simple.

Biggest thing to keep in mind from this piece...

It is not often that a team trades its top playtime receiver in the fifth week of the season and receives a third-round pick in return unless there is more to the story.

Of course, Reiss is going to get bashed for giving his opinion. After all, how dare he? But he's dead on with this one.

Biggest thing to keep in mind from this piece...

Of course, Reiss is going to get bashed for giving his opinion. After all, how dare he? But he's dead on with this one.

I would hope this is correct. There has to be more to the story.

Maybe Moss did piss off BB....

Players with 10 years of experience still qualify for the equation. What we discovered last year, with the case of Alan Faneca, was that a team can't get higher than a fifth-round comp pick for a 10-year veteran. But they still do qualify.

Source: AdamJT13's blog

because it doesn't necessarily work to have 75% of your roster be rookies, 2nd year, and 3rd year guys. because success has always been predicated on a combination of drafting (seymour, brady, warren, koppen, branch, givens, graham, etc) with a decent amount of FA and trade acquisitions (vrabel, phifer, harrison, hamilton, pleasant, washington, dillon, welker, moss)

draft picks are good to draft with, but they are also a pretty valuable commodity in trading for players. and since you can't trade compensatory picks, this oone is worth much more.

the pats will be in a very good spot to draft as well as acquire specific players. now only if they indeed play a 2011 season

yeah, but how often have the Pats, under BB, traded for or signed high quality FA's or players?

I certainly hope either:

A) Moss demanded a trade and left BB in a desperate situation

or

B) Somebody that can step right in and contribute at a weaker position such as CB/OLB/DE is coming back in the deal

because this is highway robbery. Since Minnesota cleared up a roster spot yesterday I highly doubt B.

With these trades, the compensation is almost always is not what is originally reported. That being said I agree with Reiss and would think they would be able to lean on Minnesota for more than a third. If they're going all in this year make them pay for it. And I don't have a problem trading Moss.

I agree it's a bit light. However given that I expected him to be gone by next year it's not off the charts light to me. I would have expected to be able to get a #2 but not more than that.

Someone would give this guy a good paycheck. Even if it were a 4th, you'd be trading Moss (and the 2010 season) and a 4th rnd comp. pick for a 3rd round pick. This makes no sense.

You are dead on with this and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. This trade makes zero sense unless Moss absolutely left BB with no choice.

He's leaving for next to nothing when you consider we would have been compensated. Who cares if the comp pick is a year later, Moss is the best player we have not named Brady.

3rd Round Pick History

Here are our recent 3rd round picks.... 2010 - Taylor Price, 2009 - Brandon Tate, Tyrone McKenzie, 2008 - Kevin O'Connell, 2007 - None (Kareem Brown in the 4th), 2006 - David Thomas, 2005 - Ellis Hobbs, Nick Kaczur 2004 - Guss Scott, 2003 - Dan Klecko, 2002 - Rohan Davey, 2001 - Brock Williams, 2000 - JR Redmond

Now, ask yourselves if you would give up the next 12 games and the playoffs of Moss stretching the field for any of the above players? Belichick is incapable of dealing with anyone that simply does not drink his koolaid and marches to his every beat. He also has shown no ability to turn 3rd rounders into productive players for the PATRIOTS.

yeah, but how often have the Pats, under BB, traded for or signed high quality FA's or players?

they would not have won an SB without the FA acquisitions they made.

hamilton, pleasant, phifer, vrabel, cox, wilson, buckley, compton, fauria, A smith, poole, harrison, colvin, traylor

plus the deal they swung for washington and dillon.

I'd say these guys were huge factors in the success of the pats

But I honestly can't see the reasoning behind giving Moss away to the Vikes for a thrid roud pick, when you could have kept him, and let him walk at the end of the year and received a thrid round comp pick (which will be no more than 5 spots away from where the Vikes pick will be...

Discussed in another thread, but for a 10-year vet the max comp pick you can get is a 5th rounder.

Still it seems light, and we did not take advantage of Minnesota's relative desperation to win right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes