PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Merged: Thoughts on picks/compensation for Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The good thing about having all those picks next year

If there is a rookie salary cap by the draft (or at least it looks like with a new CBA it is a done deal), the Pats will have a lot of ammunition to have possibly 3-4 first rounders or two picks in the top 10 of the draft.

You hear Felger and Mazz biatch every day about the Pats drafting for value. But with a rookie salary cap, drafting for value gets turned on its ear. Without $50 million worth of guarantees, the number one pick in the draft is a great value. If the new CBA significantly limits what a rookie can get even in the top ten, I expect the Pats to package picks to move up to get a potential immediate impact franchise player or two. The Raiders' pick looks right now to be a top 5 and they might be able to get another top ten pick (or possibly two or at least another top 10 and a top 20) with all the additional picks they have.

I know we are talking months down the road and uncertainty with the CBA. but the moves the Pats have made to get two draft picks in each of the first four rounds could pay off quite a bit. Gotta look at the silver lining in things.
Huh Whuh? Where are you getting the idea they will have 3-4 first rounders?

Besides... The Patriots always have a bunch of picks but they never actually use them.

Re: Read this - it helps....double picks

What...even worse than the Raiders trading Randy to the Patriots for a fourth round pick when he was 3 years younger :eek:

Moss 2007-2009>>>>>Moss 2006

I would hope this is correct. There has to be more to the story.

Maybe Moss did piss off BB....

Then I guess BB let his emotions get the best of him and forgot to do what was "best for the team" in this case.

Huh Whuh? Where are you getting the idea they will have 3-4 first rounders?

Besides... The Patriots always have a bunch of picks but they never actually use them.

With two picks in each of the first four rounds, it is very conceivable they could have three possibly four picks in the first by the time they are done wheeling and dealing especially if there is a rookie salary cap. They already have two and one of the seconds could be a high second (Carolina's second could be the first pick in the second round).

With the new CBA, you have to put what the Pats did in the past aside. The reason the Pats haven't traded up in recent years is because of the money first rounders get. With all those picks and potentially not much risk in terms of contract dollars, the Pats will be far more likely to trade up even into the top 10. Odds are the Pats are not going to use 8 picks in the first four rounds and if there is a rookie cap the odds of them trading up goes up exponentially.

We didn't seriously only get a 3rd for Moss

No way is Belichick that stupid. It just isn't possible

With two picks in each of the first four rounds, it is very conceivable they could have three possibly four picks in the first by the time they are done wheeling and dealing especially if there is a rookie salary cap. They already have two and one of the seconds could be a high second (Carolina's second could be the first pick in the second round).

With the new CBA, you have to put what the Pats did in the past aside. The reason the Pats haven't traded up in recent years is because of the money first rounders get. With all those picks and potentially not much risk in terms of contract dollars, the Pats will be far more likely to trade up even into the top 10. Odds are the Pats are not going to use 8 picks in the first four rounds and if there is a rookie cap the odds of them trading up goes up exponentially.
Sorry but I just ain't buying what you're selling about 3-4 first rounders. You want to talk about the new CBA... Well, OK, with the new CBA the first round becomes even more valuable and that much more difficult to trade up into. As for the Panthers... it's week 4. I think assigning them the #33 pick is a bit premature.

As for them actually using their picks instead of their usual over-tinkering... Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

Re: Would Moss leaving via FA after 2010 get us 3rd rnd comp. pick?

No one knows the comp pick formula, but it has something to do with contract and performance. There's a good chance Moss would excel in both those areas next year and I could easily see us getting a 4th round pick in 2012.

Nope. Best case is a fifth in 2012 (see Alan Faneca as evidence), and that's only a potential. Move that forward, it's the equivalent of a 2011 6.

Sorry but I just ain't buying what you're selling about 3-4 first rounders. You want to talk about the new CBA... Well, OK, with the new CBA the first round becomes even more valuable and that much more difficult to trade up into. As for the Panthers... it's week 4. I think assigning them the #33 pick is a bit premature.

As for them actually using their picks instead of their usual over-tinkering... Well, I'll believe it when I see it.

The Pats are all about value and with a rookie salary cap, the value is with higher picks rather than lowers as they are now. Back when first round picks had more value and cost more to trade up, the Pats under Belichick did more trading up in the first round (they did it for Warren and Graham). It was when the first round picks lost value is when they started to trading down.

Saying the Pats getting three first rounders when they already have two is far from a stretch. Thinking otherwise is just being overly negative. Carolina looks like crap and should be in the top 5, but could turn it around. Four picks is less likely, but not outside the realm of possibility.

Again, history is on my side that before salaries for first rounders got ridiculous, Belichick had no problems staying put and drafting a stud in the top 10 (Seymour) or trading up to get his player (Warren and Graham). It was when the salaries started to explode around 2004 and 2005 when the Pats changed their strategy.

We now have double picks in each of the first FOUR rounds.

Our own

Oaklands -- 1

Carolina's -- 2

Minny's -- 3

Denver's -- 4

Hello rookie cap

None of that matters, as you know BB will trade down for value, and we'll end up with four 5ths, a 6th, and future year picks. He can't help himself. It's what he always does.

We didn't seriously only get a 3rd for Moss

No way is Belichick that stupid. It just isn't possible

I was thinking the same thing. I kept hoping that the press got it wrong, but it sure seems like that's all they got for Moss. Amazing!

I was thinking the same thing. I kept hoping that the press got it wrong, but it sure seems like that's all they got for Moss. Amazing!

Something must be missing here.

3rd round pick for top 5 receiver.

He must have pissed off someone...

I bet if we had included Welker we could have got at least gotten another 7th rounder out of it

Stupid front office, a 3rd and a 7th! We would have been so set

Re: Would Moss leaving via FA after 2010 get us 3rd rnd comp. pick?

First of all it would be a comp pick in 2012. I doubt they would get a 3rd Comp anyway. A Vikes 2011 3rd is worth far more than a Comp pick in 2012.

Comp picks are not as valuable as normal picks regardless of round. They are untradeable. You HAVE to take a prospect in that spot.

Let's see, they gave a 4th to get him. Played him for 3 years and trade him for a third. And you guys are upset.

Based on that logic, we should be ecstatic if a team offered a 3rd or 4th or even 5th round pick for Brady since we only used a 6th round pick to get him and got a decade of performance out of him.

We seriously just traded Moss for a third rounder? Wow... that's barely better than what the Raiders got for him.

Last edited:
We seriously just traded Moss for a third rounder? Wow...

I'm hoping he demanded a trade and that BB didn't actually do this on his own free will

Re: 3rd Round Pick History

Really why is that

Price - looks to be a future starter
Tate - need I say more the kid is contributing to wins now
McKenzie - is a development player time will tell
O'Connell - bust even though he is a Jet backup QB
Thomas- starting TE for the Saints (just because he isn't here doesn't mean he is a bust)
Hobbs - 3rd round is a good round for a nickle DB which is what he is with Philly
Kaczur - has been a starting RT for years
Scott - bust
Klecko - don't know what to call this one.
Davey - bust
Williams - bust
Redmond - partial bust

anything after rounds 1 and 2 are complete crap shoots in the draft. They may not have gotten any superstars in the picks they made but they had less busts than they did contributing players and players still in the league.

How can Price look like a future starter without even making the active roster?

We seriously just traded Moss for a third rounder? Wow... that's barely better than what the Raiders got for him.

Hard to wrap your head around isn't it?

What's going to be even more disappointing is when BB turns that 3rd round pick into two 6ths or something stupid

Do u think that a 3rd rounder was adequate compensation for Randy Moss

I know the pats had to move Moss...just wish we could have gotten more in return for him. The guy is still one of the best WR'S in the league....whatcha think?

Yes
No

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back