PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meet Derek Rivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess we'll have one more gameday active on the DL unless there's a surprise cut. Rivers and Ealy replace Sheard and Long. The DT return. And then we added a Guy (Lawrence Guy). That should be the DL.
Why did you get a funny? Your post is accurate.

Why did you get a funny? Your post is accurate.
I assume for my "added a Guy" line.

Seriously, I'm still curious how he'll fit in. Maybe partly as a DT to give the big guys more rest and partly as a power DE.

I assume for my "added a Guy" line.

Seriously, I'm still curious how he'll fit in. Maybe partly as a DT to give the big guys more rest and partly as a power DE.

Guy will be 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. I don't see him on the edge in the 4-3. Brings good inside pass rush. Good vs run. Maybe on SY running downs he might kick out on 4-3

Guy will be 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. I don't see him on the edge in the 4-3. Brings good inside pass rush. Good vs run. Maybe on SY running downs he might kick out on 4-3
Right, I really meant playing time. At DT we already have Branch, Brown, Valentine - but we were short last year when Valentine was out and were a little lucky the others stayed healthy so another quality body won't hurt.

I'm waiting for @captain stone 's synopsis claiming how Belichick doesn't know what he's doing and how both guys suck and that the Patriots should have taken so and so..

"Let me ask you this: If he's so great, how come nobody picked him before us???"

We've made this same mistake consistently draft after draft. Every year. We pick guys that other teams passed on.

Right, I really meant playing time. At DT we already have Branch, Brown, Valentine - but we were short last year when Valentine was out and were a little lucky the others stayed healthy so another quality body won't hurt.
Depending on the opponant he'll get 20-40 snaps a game. He'll have a sizable role no question.

Wait let me ask everybody what seems to matter most in this draft, is he a THUMPER?

I had just gotten used to the idea that football is played lying down on the ground, where it matters how "long" you are rather than how tall you are.

Thanks, reamer.

And this video doesn't even do him justice..
Id recommend watching full games @draftbreakdown to get a real feel of his intelligence. It's unique, esp. for a college level.

This is what I loved about him . watching his film

Derek Rivers - the sack hunter
Some “scouts“ complained about his inconsistency, disappearing periods, gap discipline etc. Instead it's part of his mind game. Unlike most (or basically all) of the prospects he's not a “fool-rush-in“ edge guy. He has intelligence and instincts of big cats. Instead of comparing him to other players I preferred to compare him to the way big cats are hunting prey. He doesn't just rush for sacks snap in snap out - he hunts them. He knows its a 60 minute game. He doesn't need to go all in every snap. He seeks his best opportunities, creates his player-specific leverage - and then goes for the throat. So i wouldn't call him pass rusher but sack hunter. The mind games he talks about and his surprising strength also result in solid pressures that BB values so much. There's a lot of room for improvement in this area and even more in edge setting - I just hope it doesn't affect his unique sack hunting approach that was such fun to watch these past weeks.

Watching him another player jumped to mind - not a pass rusher - Le'Veon Bell
__

So if you don't want to call him panther (or cougar) . just call him - puma
I think that's what makes some of the greatest pass rushers "great" - they aren't just putting their head down and coming after you. They're thinking, analyzing, using strategy, toying with their opponent. It's a game within a game to them.

Since I projected double dip at edge . let me share some guys we shouldn't sleep on going into Day 3 - possibly more in ed/olb capacity.

Three athletic and agile guys who can play on and off the line, also drop in coverage - in view of Ninko understudy - replacement:

Joe Mathis -- 6’15, 266, 33“ - didn't work out, injured but now ready to go
Samson Ebukam -- 6’15, 248, 32.5“, 4.45/6.98
Vince Biegel, Wiscon -- 6’3, 246, 32.5“, 4.67/6.92

Pats also worked out/interviewed:
Carroll Phillips, Al-Quadin Muhammad, Jimmie Gilbert
__

Another direction could be somebody like Long. I absolutely love this two guys, playing like twin brothers at Penn (both possible udfas!):

Garrett Sickels -- 6’35, 261, 32“, 4.78/7.01 -- 34 hurries in 2y
Evan Schwan -- 6’5, 261, 4.68/4.39SS -- slowed down by injuries unfortunately

True inspiration and compliment to football game

Enjoy this short film (vs Ohio State)
Garrett Sickels vs Ohio State (2016) | Draft Breakdown

After ready a couple scouting reports about his athleticism along with his size and ability to play multiple positions he sounds like jamie collins the second.

Pats Draftnik Grade* is in.

Derek Rivers, DT, THE Youngstown State University. Is he a DE? Is he a LB? My God. He must be one or another. What are the Patriots thinking??? What do you do with a guy who is "between" DE and LB? Maybe they should make up a word for this, let's say, "tweener." How can that ever benefit a Patriots defense? By the way, the new way to say "Tweener" is you can stand him up at LB then he can "kick down" in sub-packages. I thought you just kicked inside or kicked outside, but now you kick up and down too. Fuggin Rockettes.

Before moving on, I think it bears mention that he played for the mighty Youngstown State Penguins. Forget the Penguins, not going to make fun of that unfortunate nickname, let's move on. YSU. The Missouri Valley freaking Conference. I'm sorry, the Missouri Valley Football Conference. Not to be confused with the Missouri Valley Ufology Conference, the Missouri Valley Chess Conference, or the Missouri Valley BDSM Conference, more casually known as "Beat Me In Saint Louis" - all of which are better known.

No, our boy Derek is from the Missouri Valley football Conference, and he liked it there. He spent 4 years playing there, primarily because the MVFC offers as much resistance as a superconductor cooled to 300 degrees below zero. You're welcome nerds, now get back in your lockers CLANG. I'm draft analyzing here.

So you'd think that if he wanted to be drafted by the pros he'd play somewhere with real teams. I'm pretty sure the MVFC will default to 7-on-7 some Saturdays. He could transfer somewhere like that. But no, he chose to showcase his skills at the MVFC. Represent! Moving on...

It's clear that he'd been passed over more than houses in ancient Egypt with ram's blood smeared on the door before we picked him. Translation: nobody else wanted him. One man's trash, as they say. How can NE expect to make a legitimate player out of somebody picked in the middle rounds? I think history has born this out - f'rinstance GoddamtheCong Suh or whatever is pretty good, and only one team didn't pick him. The Patriots should think harder about fixing this error in their draft strategy.

This year's special terminology: adept at setting a physical edge. What did they used to do, set a metaphorical edge? A metaphysical edge? A theoretical edge? Okay, he sets a physical edge, has a quick upward punch, at 6'4", 248, you'd think he'd be long (formerly "rangy,") but sub-33 inch arms should not be taken lightly. Apparently it's really important what fuggin sleeve size you wear. Old terminology repurposed: Don't give me a DE and tell me he can play in a phone booth. What am I gonna do with him?

Truth is, he can't play anywhere but the edge, I'm sorry, the physical edge, so you know those "mind the gap" signs you see by commuter rail only in the Northeast and England? He doesn't.

I wish Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams knew as much about football as me.

Official Pats Draftnik Grade: Gentleman's D-.

* if you don't like parody, skip the post

This Rivers kid is Shawn crable 2.0! He sucks! Bill the GM is killing Bill the coach! :D:D:D

Great. Now I'm going to be looking at the film and staring at his calf muscles just to make sure.

You're correct - we'll never know for certain. However, Rivers has played a fair amount standing up and off the LoS at OLB in addition to lining up with his hand in the dirt. So he probably comps a little closer to Nink and HT than to Flowers with that versatility. Plus, Rivers is a film room junkie.

The part in bold is probably what sold Belichick on him.. That's an intangible that you just don't find in a lot of players. Putting in that sort of extra time to figure out how to beat your opponent is something that is a bonus is any player..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes