PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meet Derek Rivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
YSU Penguins representing! Nice.

I'm waiting for @captain stone 's synopsis claiming how Belichick doesn't know what he's doing and how both guys suck and that the Patriots should have taken so and so..

These two picks are unbelievable. Literally exactly what we needed.

He's a perfect complement to Flowers.

I couldn't be happier

These two picks are unbelievable. Literally exactly what we needed.

He's a perfect complement to Flowers.

I couldn't be happier

Could not agree more. While we liked other players better, most of us zeroed in on these positions.

Now we need a linebacker and developmental tight end.

I only watched the highlight so take it with a grain of salt. LOVE this guys bend, he gets to the edge pretty quick but then absolutely Gumby's his way around it. Really good at getting back up the pocket after going around the tackle. Only one play but made me perk up they tried getting him to bite on a dive option and you see him stare down the runner spots the ball and explodes to take away the outside. So a smart rusher who plays his responsibilities too. Cons, small school playing against non NFL talent, can he make the same kind of plays against the big boys?

Overall quite excited by this pick, let him go head hunting on 3 and 7+ When flowers kicks inside while he learns the game and adds 5-10 lbs but could be a quality part of the rotation going forward. Filling a legit need with the top pick...WTF Bill have you lost your mind?

For those who didn't actually read the interview I linked:

Rivers: Most definitely. It always starts in the film room. That’s how I first understand the type of guy that I’m going up against. Does he bail, does he set vertically, does he set at an angle, or maybe he jump-steps a lot. You get to see how strong he is with his hands, does he punch high or low? It’s definitely a mind game. If you get somebody who bails a lot, I might start hitting him with speed-to-bull a couple of times in a row, then he’ll start settling his feet and he’ll start preparing for power because he’s sick of getting bull-rushed.

I love your attention to detail. You talk about doing some homework on your opponent, how much time do you spend in the film room?

Rivers: I spend about five to seven extra hours on top of what’s required of me. It’s very important to my game. I play the left side and Avery Moss plays on the right side. Having the knowledge that the film can provide you is huge. You go in there more confident because you know what to expect. After those first couple of snaps, you start to understand, this is exactly what I expected. You know what’s gonna’ happen before the play starts and you now understand what type of guy you’re going up against.

This kid is terrible! Bill should have drafted Myles Garrett. He needs to be fired immediately. We will never win as long as we have such an incompetent GM!

I only watched the highlight so take it with a grain of salt. LOVE this guys bend, he gets to the edge pretty quick but then absolutely Gumby's his way around it. Really good at getting back up the pocket after going around the tackle. Only one play but made me perk up they tried getting him to bite on a dive option and you see him stare down the runner spots the ball and explodes to take away the outside. So a smart rusher who plays his responsibilities too. Cons, small school playing against non NFL talent, can he make the same kind of plays against the big boys?

Overall quite excited by this pick, let him go head hunting on 3 and 7+ When flowers kicks inside while he learns the game and adds 5-10 lbs but could be a quality part of the rotation going forward. Filling a legit need with the top pick...WTF Bill have you lost your mind?
Small school...jason taylor was from akron.

Small school...jason taylor was from akron.
Not saying he can't be good because he went to a small school, plenty of players have made that jump. Just saying it is a concern and a bigger risk. I have seen very little but I like what I see a lot. Fantastic bend around the edge now can he do it against the bigger stronger faster NFL tackles? We'll see in September but I would guess he will get about 15-20% of the snaps and end the year with 5-8 sacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes