• Better than average, 22-27

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Among the best, Top 5 (28-32)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I would have to guess the Tepper is worst in this regard and Dan Synder used to be right up there. Who are the others and how do they rank? John Mara? Irsay? Jerry Jones?

I suspect that Kraft is in the middle of the pack, but I have to wonder about the Patriots pathetic off season and worry about the upcoming draft.

From my recollection we know of a few who are definitely worse Jerry Jones comes to the forefront. Then we know Kraft has done his share. Then we probably don't know much about 25 or so of the other owners. I'd guess most probably do something.

He let his coach have free rein for over 20 years. He’s last in the league in meddling.
Some folks must believe that Kraft meddled a lot in those 20 years.

For 20+ years Kraft was one of the least meddling owners in the league, it ruined his relationship with Parcells so he seemed to have learned his lesson.

His foray back into meddling started again in 2021, Wolf was hired, Mayo was extended as the heir apparent… Bob gave a press conference to announce it all and how the draft was becoming a collaboration.

BB seems to have got along to get along, it got us Mac Jones. Whether he wanted him or not is up for debate, I doubt that his buddy Saban, even if he thought less of Mac, would outright sht talk his own player. Bill also received a fig leaf when he got the player he originally wanted when they traded up in the 2nd to take Barmore.

Bottom line is if everyone isn’t pulling in one direction you’ll go nowhere. And BB stayed with Mac way longer than feasible for anyone watching who understood football. He clearly was shoving the kid’s incompetence in Kraft’s face and for all the world to see by playing him well after the entire world knew he sucked. It’s not surprising reports came out later that BB wanted to move away from Mac a long time ago but Kraft insisted he stick with him.

Jerry Jones is the most meddling owner in the NFL, he’s the reason why that team never excels in the playoffs. His teams think they have won it all when they haven’t won anything, mainly because Jerry gushes about his players in the media, pays players far more than they’re worth, and if players have a gripe they can circumvent their coach and go right to the owner.

I don’t think it’s Bob we have to concern ourselves with, I’m fairly certain before he passed he wanted the team squarely in Jonathan’s hands and back in the family’s control. Whether Jon will be a hands off owner remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Kraft is trying to take over now after being left out for so many years.

I think the Dynasty infomercial was a PR campaign to get him in the HOF. To get there he had to make it seem like he was way more hands on and responsible than he actually was. The only way to do that was to minimize the one person mostly responsible.

As far as now, I don’t doubt Jonathan wanted more control and to be the decision maker.

For 20+ years Kraft was one of the least meddling owners in the league, it ruined his relationship with Parcells so he seemed to have learned his lesson.

His foray back into meddling started again in 2021, Wolf was hired, Mayo was extended as the heir apparent… Bob gave a press conference to announce it all and how the draft was becoming a collaboration.

BB seems to have got along to get along, it got us Mac Jones. Whether he wanted him or not is up for debate, I doubt that his buddy Saban, even if he thought less of Mac, would outright sht talk his own player. Bill also received a fig leaf when he got the player he originally wanted when they traded up in the 2nd to take Barmore.

Bottom line is if everyone isn’t pulling in one direction you’ll go nowhere. And BB stayed with Mac way longer than feasible for anyone watching who understood football. He clearly was shoving the kid’s incompetence in Kraft’s face and for all the world to see by playing him well after the entire world knew he sucked. It’s not surprising reports came out later that BB wanted to move away from Mac a long time ago but Kraft insisted he stick with him.

Jerry Jones is the most meddling owner in the NFL, he’s the reason why that team never excels in the playoffs. His teams think they have won it all when they haven’t won anything, mainly because Jerry gushes about his players in the media, pays players far more than they’re worth, and if players have a gripe they can circumvent their coach and go right to the owner.

I don’t think it’s Bob we have to concern ourselves with, I’m fairly certain before he passed he wanted the team squarely in Jonathan’s hands and back in the family’s control. Whether Jon will be a hands off owner remains to be seen.
I don't think we really know how much Kraft meddled during Bills tenure but we know it happened so I'm not sure why you're putting 2021 as some sort of line.

He was clearly putting pressure on Bill during the Bledsoe losing his job to Brady days.

He was very much involved in Brady contract negotiations and reportedly may even taken over completely at some point as early as the post knee injury deal.

He himself said he wouldn't block Brady from leaving after 2017.

Hernandez obviously justifiably so.

Just to point out a few examples we do have evidence of.

We could speculate on some other things most notably Jimmy G. Who knows what else but based on what we do know it would not be a big leap to think he was at least partially involved in some other bigger decisions like Milloy, Law, Seymour and things like that.

I don’t think Kraft meddled too much with BB until Brady left. Even during the Jimmy G situation.
I think he learned his lesson from the Parcell’s situation

Just my opinion. I think he could be a meddler and has meddled with the Mac Jones pick and non benching
I think he has hinted his desire to take a QB this draft.
He knows to keep fans buying ST’s they need to feel Brady’s replacement is in house. No matter how many good players we get. People will still be feeling that we won all those years because of a great QB. We need to replace him to have a chance.
That is a void that can put turmoil in his bottom line. Cash

FWIW he signs the checks. Kraft' doesn't have to 'try' taking over, he can do it any time he pleases

Let's review all of the times Kraft "meddled":

1996 Draft - He wanted Terry Glenn and we got Terry Glenn. Then Parcells bolted in 1997.

2018 - Convinced McDaniels to stick around and spurn the Colts.

2019 - Brought Alex G. back to the sidelines.

2022 - Asked for the team to hire a "real OC" and told reporters he expected us to be in the playoffs. Convinced Mayo to stick around.

2023 - Fired Belichick, hired Mayo, and essentially gave the keys to Mayo/Wolf/Groh. Mentions that "we need a QB". Was very involved in producing "They Dynasty".

That's about it.....the rest have been times where he worked with the league...or tried to fight the league...

He has been a very underrated owner...and should be in the HOF, IMO.

Gotta take Jerry jones off the meddling list.

The dude is the GM of that team. It's not meddling if it's in the job description.

Tepper
Bidwell (been reading anything about the lawsuit out there?)
Irsay, when he's not od'ing... He's always yapping about players/contracts...
Cal McNair in Houston... Massive disruptor via proxy with the preacher man... Gotten better with caserio there
The Haslams in Cleveland... Can't stop tinkering
The guy in Cincy... Just based on how the team was run fiscally...

I'm sure there are more, I just don't know

Kraft started out as a meddler ... Got burned by tuna, tanked with Pete... Good thing BB wasn't going to let that **** slide...

Based on his past, and current activities, id put him in the top ten of meddlers

FWIW he signs the checks. Kraft' doesn't have to 'try' taking over, he can do it any time he pleases
I'm referring to being in the spotlight like Jerry Jones. But as you said, he can do what he wants.

Last edited:
Kraft left Brady out to dry with deflatgate. I doubt Brady will never forgive him for that. Especially since science proved that Brady was innocent. But instead of fighting the league, he rolled over like a dog to get his belly rubbed.

I would have put a football on the field at the beginning of a cold game, measured the PSI, then have them televise the halftime measurements of the PSI to prove that the idea gas law is not a myth!

So much he could have done to protect Brady and he threw him under the bus!

It is amazing that an owner has a best chance of ending up in the hall of fame if he makes two good hiring decisions and then gets the f* out of the way. Best formula.

Jerry Jones and that archetype don't see it as meddling, they see it as their job description.

I would have to guess the Tepper is worst in this regard and Dan Synder used to be right up there. Who are the others and how do they rank? John Mara? Irsay? Jerry Jones?

I suspect that Kraft is in the middle of the pack, but I have to wonder about the Patriots pathetic off season and worry about the upcoming draft.
I agree. On our off season I don't know that it was pathetic.. we did retain alot of our guys and kept good patriots players around particularly guys that we drafted and developed.

Signing Antonio Gibson was huge. I don't think people understand what he will bring to this offense. Tepper is probably the worst owner in the league I don't see him as long time NFL owner.

RK I don't think is meddling, but he dam sure won't just sit back and watch his franchise look like ass offensively as they have the last 2 seasons..

Kraft left Brady out to dry with deflatgate. I doubt Brady will never forgive him for that. Especially since science proved that Brady was innocent. But instead of fighting the league, he rolled over like a dog to get his belly rubbed.

I would have put a football on the field at the beginning of a cold game, measured the PSI, then have them televise the halftime measurements of the PSI to prove that the idea gas law is not a myth!

So much he could have done to protect Brady and he threw him under the bus!
I find it funny how everyone wants to say that Kraft left Brady out to dry with deflategate and make it a big point of contention, but he seems to still have a great relationship with Brady despite how things ended. Meanwhile Bill who told everyone "I don't know about the balls ask Tom", is the reason Brady left and it sounds like they don't have much of a relationship anymore. In fact, when Brady left, he didn't talk to Bill, he went over to Kraft's house to have a big kumbaya meeting.

He'd be very low.

For years he was considered a guy who let his HC have more control than any other HC in the league. Belichick will probably go down as the last NFL coach to ever have that level of control over a team (and frankly he's probably having issues getting a job because that's not the model anymore and owners don't want to cede that control).

Even if you want to go by the least flattering takes of Kraft supposedly meddling, he would still be low for the very fact that since he became an owner, he was by far the most successful as far as his team winning in that timeframe.

He'd be very low.

For years he was considered a guy who let his HC have more control than any other HC in the league. Belichick will probably go down as the last NFL coach to ever have that level of control over a team (and frankly he's probably having issues getting a job because that's not the model anymore and owners don't want to cede that control).

Even if you want to go by the least flattering takes of Kraft supposedly meddling, he would still be low for the very fact that since he became an owner, he was by far the most successful as far as his team winning in that timeframe.
Great post! Your a spot on. The organization was taken to heights unthinkable than when the Sullivan's owned them Kraft brokered TV deals and all kinds of media contracts for the NFL.

There were 7 other job opportunities, and Bill didn't get any. It in no diminished how great Bill is as coach, but more of a sign of the times as you make a great point about the duel role of HC/GM

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back