PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

You can’t practice racism either if you don’t see color.
Sure, but some people sadly are racist and that would involve ignoring that too

You - and some others - keep ignoring his subsequent comments during that opening press conference, and just latching on to what he said during his first few sentences. You also just keep dismissing the comments Reiss posted this morning, which I just don't understand. Especially since it sums it up pretty well.
Ok let me explain in more detail. I am considering all of his comments not eliminating one because of another.

I don’t believe decisions should be made based upon color. Mayo made a couple of comments that might possibly mean he does.

I don’t consider him disagreeing with Krafts words then a few days later repeating them as his own conclusive. It sounds like he got grief over saying it so he backtracked.

Ultimately it’s a meaningless discussion because he is going to do what he is going to do, and all that matters is results.
Yet it’s still a “discussable” issue and one I moved on from until having posts directed to me.

I wasn't talking about Kraft - I was talking about Bill, who you obviously do hold in high regard. Bill hired him, and wouldn't have hired him nor kept him on if he didn't believe he was good at his job.

You've said repeatedly you disagree with the hire.

Of course I do. Everyone is always going to have concerns and/or reservations about the unknowns. But as I pointed out in subsequent quotes, there's also a reason to believe that some things many of us were concerned with under Bill might be different moving forward.

Obviously, time will tell whether or not that's the case. But at the end of the day, he's now the coach, and I'm sure we'll judge him by what unfolds and honestly, March & April can't get here quick enough.
Being a good LB coach and a good HC are worlds apart.

I don’t believe I have repeatedly said I disagree with the hire. I disagree with firing belichick of course. I have discussed concerns. But I don’t think I have given a judgment of the hire at all.
I am searching for reasons to be optimistic. I am hoping to see a plan that I can get behind. I want him to succeed. I just don’t have anything to latch into yet to be optimistic about. Do you?

Ok let me explain in more detail. I am considering all of his comments not eliminating one because of another.

I don’t believe decisions should be made based upon color. Mayo made a couple of comments that might possibly mean he does.

I don’t consider him disagreeing with Krafts words then a few days later repeating them as his own conclusive. It sounds like he got grief over saying it so he backtracked.

Ultimately it’s a meaningless discussion because he is going to do what he is going to do, and all that matters is results.
Yet it’s still a “discussable” issue and one I moved on from until having posts directed to me.
He said in the quote this morning that the emphasis is on the fact it's the reverse. He said this in the Optum quote that I posted in the earlier part of this thread. He won't discount anyone based on their race, background, etc.

“I learned a lot at Optum about diversity and inclusion and you better believe it, being the first black coach in New England means a lot to me,” said Mayo. “But those guys taught me you have to take ideas from other people, black, white, green, yellow, it really doesn’t matter. Old, young …

He's not backtracking. The comment he made this morning in Reiss' article is basically an extension - and matches - what he said to begin with.

And I agree, it's a meaningless discussion. And I also agree - I'll be happier when we have something more football-related to base his performance on rather than a couple of sentences in a press conference.

Being a good LB coach and a good HC are worlds apart.

I don’t believe I have repeatedly said I disagree with the hire. I disagree with firing belichick of course. I have discussed concerns. But I don’t think I have given a judgment of the hire at all.
I am searching for reasons to be optimistic. I am hoping to see a plan that I can get behind. I want him to succeed. I just don’t have anything to latch into yet to be optimistic about. Do you?
He still hired him and kept him on. And I already said there were things he pointed out - which I've mentioned - that I'm on board with. I'm in a wait-and-see mode and all I can do is let it play out.

I can't believe this is an issue... At all

The Sandlot Youre Killing Me Smalls GIF

He said in the quote this morning that the emphasis is on the fact it's the reverse. He said this in the Optum quote that I posted in the earlier part of this thread. He won't discount anyone based on their race, background, etc.

“I learned a lot at Optum about diversity and inclusion and you better believe it, being the first black coach in New England means a lot to me,” said Mayo. “But those guys taught me you have to take ideas from other people, black, white, green, yellow, it really doesn’t matter. Old, young …

He's not backtracking. The comment he made this morning in Reiss' article is basically an extension - and matches - what he said to begin with.

And I agree, it's a meaningless discussion. And I also agree - I'll be happier when we have something more football-related to base his performance on rather than a couple of sentences in a press conference.
You are entitled to your opinion.

I will never believe that when you disagree with a statement and then repeat it as your own a few days later, that it’s anything but backtracking. But you don’t need to feel that way.

He still hired him and kept him on. And I already said there were things he pointed out - which I've mentioned - that I'm on board with. I'm in a wait-and-see mode and all I can do is let it play out.
Hiring someone as a lb coach after they played lb for you and hiring the least experienced coach to ever be hired in the NFL (that I can tell at least) are 2 very different things.

I have yet to hear anything of substance. And we all should be in wait and see mode.

Sure but they haven't yet so why make the connection? Mayo's point was that he sees color because if you don't you can't see racism. He didn't say I see color because then i can prioritise hiring people of color.. People are making huge leaps from minimal information.
At this point, it seems obvious that this is like banging your head against a wall.

You are entitled to your opinion.

I will never believe that when you disagree with a statement and then repeat it as your own a few days later, that it’s anything but backtracking. But you don’t need to feel that way.
I'm just basing it off what he said. And he didn't disagree with a statement and repeat it as his own. It was his own statement. I posted the direct quote, and maybe I just happened to pay more attention because I transcribed it, along with quite a bit from that press conference.

He specifically said he believes in "taking ideas from everyone, regardless of their background". This morning he also added that he wants to "get the best people here, equal opportunity," because "at the end of the day, we get judged on wins and losses."

I get we all interpret things differently, but those are hardly different statements.

Can we go back to trashing Mac and ignore the racists? It’s a lot more fun.
I would like that but unfortunately it will grow increasingly overt and nasty if he hires more black coaches and staff.

Those people are fine with black people, athletes, coaches as long they don’t speak about race or address any historical or current injustice.

Because if we're judging people by skin color, that would be racist
Everyone does it. It's natural and normal. The only people shamed into oblivion for it are White people. Quotes like that are just corny, not deep or introspective in the slightest, and are only meant for White people to abide by them. Black people are extremely ethnocentric, as are Asians, Jews, Hispanics, Indians, Arabs, etc.

Mayo is technically not wrong to see race, although his reasoning, of course, is from a whiny victim perspective. He's also one of the most privileged people in all of America.

Looking forward to seeing the Patriots implode and be embarrassed into oblivion under Mayo and Kraft. Total clownshow about to ensue.

I'm just basing it off what he said. And he didn't disagree with a statement and repeat it as his own. It was his own statement. I posted the direct quote, and maybe I just happened to pay more attention because I transcribed it, along with quite a bit from that press conference.

He specifically said he believes in "taking ideas from everyone, regardless of their background". This morning he also added that he wants to "get the best people here, equal opportunity," because "at the end of the day, we get judged on wins and losses."

I get we all interpret things differently, but those are hardly different statements.
His words today were almost exactly what Kraft said before Mayo disagreed with him and said he does see color.

MLK once said judge by their character, don't judge by the color of skin.
Its possible to see color and also judge people by their character at the same time.

Its possible to see color and also judge people by their character at the same time.
Of course we will see our teammate's or player's skin color, but with good teammates on good teams, we quickly get past that and are focused on working together, building a bond, and getting better together to have the best team possible. And making the locker room look like society is normally not even a thought on sports teams. Get the best guys you can, build a bond, learn to play well together....

Of course we will see our teammate's or player's skin color, but with good teammates on good teams, we quickly get past that and are focused on working together, building a bond, and getting better together to have the best team possible. And making the locker room look like society is normally not even a thought on sports teams. Get the best guys you can, build a bond, learn to play well together....
For me there is nothing to get past

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back