PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Intoductory Press Conference

Come to think of it - isn't it against league policy for Mac, Uche and Cardona to be in the team facility at this point in the season?
Uche maybe. The other two can be so long as they're not doing anything.

I think my point was pretty clear. That even though it matters to Mayo, it's not relevant to winning which is what really should matter to him.

Again, will it be relevant when he's losing?
So he can't state that something is important in addition to winning? Or that diversity can help toward success? Y'all are getting defensive as hell over this. He never once stated his goal was "diversity at the expense of winning."

You guys are simply putting words into his mouth or implying his motivation is not primarily to win.

Whether or not Mac had a point is beside the point. A QB, especially a non-established one, yelling at a coach in front of his teammates (during a game especially) is appallingly unprofessional. It's the opposite of leadership.

It wouldn't surprise me if BB letting Mac get away with that was when he started losing his grip on discipline.

I think BoB going off on players on the sideline is very unprofessional too. Whether the player deserves it or not.
Brady did the same thing to Billy O in a Saints game years ago. It happens. My issue with Mac was the toughness. I just think he’s a ****y. Can’t really coach toughness. You earn that over time. Can Mac eventually get some? Sure. Can he do it here with all the baggage? Not so sure, but it’s Mayo’s call. If he, and whomever is the next OC think Mac earns it…I’ll give it a shot. If for no other reason than to bring the value of his damned jersey back up.

Well sure but when you ask them what they are doing about it and they offer nothing concrete, it’s very concerning.
Can you give some examples of concrete offerings which would have made you less concerned? Serious Q.

So he can't state that something is important in addition to winning? Or that diversity can help toward success?

Why is it that he can state what's important but others can't state how irrelevant it is without being told they need to stop being triggered and to get used to it bud?

Again, when he's losing is it gonna be because he was a unqualified diverse hire? If he does indeed win will it then also be because he wasn't just another undeserving white hire?

I couldn't think of anything more irrelevant towards what the Patriots are trying to accomplish.

He also sounds like he had a few before public speaking.
giphy.gif

;)

The Press Conf did not help my view of the hire, but it didn’t hurt it either. I chuckled at some parts, cringed at others (calling your boss “Thunder” is a little much for me).

BUT….

Mayo is dead on that you can’t lead players today the way you did 20 years ago, or even 10.

I believe that fact alone was more responsible for BB’s slow demise and the whole “only wants players he likes” narrative than anything else.

I believe he wanted to find old-school mentality, “yessir, whatever you say sir” players which just don’t exist much these days.

This is true in business also.

Under 30 folks want to feel understood, and they want to understand WHY you ask them to do something. There is a pervasive base-level distrust of authority which has to be overcome before you can get the best out of them.

We can rail against it, or understand that it’s the world today and adjust.

Happened to Tom Coughlin WAY before it did Bill so he held on a lot longer than anyone else.
For many players this is true.

The question is, can you find enough who will subsume ego enough for the success of the team in order to create a successful winner.

Jack Jones may be a good example. Mayo may believe Jones could've been saved. But do you want Jack Jones on your team at all even if he can be saved? Is he reliable?

Look, I know this may be a stretch but, it's not surprising to me that the Asante Samuel who choked in crucial situations is also the guy that goes off half-****ed all the time and makes a fool out of himself.

Who left New England disgruntled and won elsewhere? Maybe Wes Welker?

Why is it that he can state what's important but others can't state how irrelevant it is without being told they need to stop being triggered and to get used to it bud?

Again, when he's losing is it gonna be because he was a unqualified diverse hire? If he does indeed win will it then also be because he wasn't just another undeserving white hire?

I couldn't think of anything more irrelevant towards what the Patriots are trying to accomplish.
Again you are ignoring some pretty simple ****.

1. It goes without saying that the goal is to win.

2. Diversity is important to many people, particularly minorities. It can be helpful for a young black player to be coached by a young black coach. It can help with buy in and make the coach able to connect better on a personal with players which at the end of the day can benefit the entire team.

If you cant see and accept this without getting annoyed about it, I can't help you. He didn't harp on it the entire press conference, he simply said a few sentences about it and you guys have your panties in a giant wedge over it.

Because a lot of irrelevant things are said in every press conference that nobody whines about. Maybe think about why that specifically bothered you if it was irrelevant.

FOXBOROUGH - With his newly-minted pilot’s license, Jonathan Jones doesn’t just arbitrarily hop in his plane, and head off on a whim.

But seeing Jerod Mayo formally introduced as the 15th Patriots head coach, and first Black head coach in team history, was enough to inspire Jones to hop in his plane, leave his home base in Atlanta, land at Norwood Memorial Airport, then rent a car and head to Gillette Stadium for the press conference.

“I had to be here,” Jones told MassLive. “It’s a fundamental day just for him, playing for him as a player, and what that means to New England as a young black male. I know a lot of guys in this area are going to look up to Jerod and say ‘Hey, the coach for the Patriots looks like me. And that’s going to open up the possibility for others.”

Again you are ignoring some pretty simple ****.

1. It goes without saying that the goal is to win.

2. Diversity is important to many people, particularly minorities. It can be helpful for a young black player to be coached by a young black coach. It can help with buy in and make the coach able to connect better on a personal with players which at the end of the day can benefit the entire team.

If you cant see and accept this without getting annoyed about it, I can't help you. He didn't harp on it the entire press conference, he simply said a few sentences about it and you guys have your panties in a giant wedge over it.

The only thing ignored was how it equaled wins.

Feel free to show us the analytics on how it's relevant and turns into wins.

Otherwise, I think it's fair to question the value of said statement.

He said wins were important and the main barometer. He said a lot of other things that had nothing to do with that. Why is the race aspect the one that you are complaining about?

You didn’t see the OL getting pushed around? Coke Strange?
I don’t think the weight room fixes having a qb who can’t execute pass plays properly.
The Press Conf did not help my view of the hire, but it didn’t hurt it either. I chuckled at some parts, cringed at others (calling your boss “Thunder” is a little much for me).

BUT….

Mayo is dead on that you can’t lead players today the way you did 20 years ago, or even 10.

I believe that fact alone was more responsible for BB’s slow demise and the whole “only wants players he likes” narrative than anything else.

I believe he wanted to find old-school mentality, “yessir, whatever you say sir” players which just don’t exist much these days.

This is true in business also.

Under 30 folks want to feel understood, and they want to understand WHY you ask them to do something. There is a pervasive base-level distrust of authority which has to be overcome before you can get the best out of them.

We can rail against it, or understand that it’s the world today and adjust.

Happened to Tom Coughlin WAY before it did Bill so he held on a lot longer than anyone else.
Every generation has said kinder gentler leadership works better for them, and those leaders get walked all over by every generation.
People are people and accountability and discipline, when done correctly, always works.

Because a lot of irrelevant things are said in every press conference that nobody whines about. Maybe think about why that specifically bothered you if it was irrelevant.

That's not true my guy. Someone literally rolled their eyes at "it starts in the gym"

It didn't bother me my friend, as a liberal who votes blue no matter who, I ain't one of "those" people.

It was a fair statement by a poster who wondered how it was relevant and I don't see the problem with asking that question.

@Peachhead @JohnJH @Jlaff

Did you read this post that Ross just posted about Jonathan Jones? (one of our defensive leaders).

FOXBOROUGH - With his newly-minted pilot’s license, Jonathan Jones doesn’t just arbitrarily hop in his plane, and head off on a whim.

But seeing Jerod Mayo formally introduced as the 15th Patriots head coach, and first Black head coach in team history, was enough to inspire Jones to hop in his plane, leave his home base in Atlanta, land at Norwood Memorial Airport, then rent a car and head to Gillette Stadium for the press conference.

“I had to be here,” Jones told MassLive. “It’s a fundamental day just for him, playing for him as a player, and what that means to New England as a young black male. I know a lot of guys in this area are going to look up to Jerod and say ‘Hey, the coach for the Patriots looks like me. And that’s going to open up the possibility for others.”

He literally states the importance of Mayo being black and having a black head coach. It’s important to the players and their buy-in. Again, deal with reality.

That's not true my guy. Someone literally rolled their eyes at "it starts in the gym"

It didn't bother me my friend, as a liberal who votes blue no matter who, I ain't one of "those" people.

It was a fair statement by a poster who wondered how it was relevant and I don't see the problem with asking that question.
Okay then the answer is that Mayo it personally mattered to him as a point of pride and he wanted to bring attention to it in a press conference Kraft announced to celebrate his hire. It's not that complicated. I really don't get why anybody would be upset about that when he said that wins were the most important thing.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back