PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Coaching Staff [Discuss Coaching Candidates Here!]

That’s not happening, there’s other QBs to take. Fields still needs to develop a bit more and only has one cheap year left. I think his ceiling in trade value is a 3rd.
I don't get the Fields hate especially from some Patsfans. It almost seems like some type of jealousy. Fields statically had his best year last season I think that's something his next team can build on. IF Mac had the year Fields had we wouldn't be thinking QB in the First.

I don't get the Fields hate especially from some Patsfans. It almost seems like some type of jealousy. Fields statically had his best year last season I think that's something his next team can build on. IF Mac had the year Fields had we wouldn't be thinking QB in the First.
Don’t hate him by any means but he does remind me a bit of Jackson TBH.

Is it possible that Kraft does not want to spend $ on experienced coaches or a gm this year because he had to pay BB 25 million for firing him.

This would explain a lot

Completely irrational to only hire coaches with no experience
If this is true, then money isn't the issue.

#34 and Mac Jones for Fields and and Chicago's Third.
No. We need the 34 for a game changer. This draft is solid for top 50. It's 3rd rounder and possibly Conditional 4th in 2026 for fields.

w

who is this person?
Producer for the Felger & Mazz show. He has sources. If that’s actually the case it makes me feel marginally better. If really he considered taking the job it would suggest that the OC role here isn’t universally viewed as something no one wants to touch.

Small solace seeing as we didn’t get him but maybe it’s not as bad as being reported by some.

I wrestle with that…BUT…statistically more likely we do draft the QB only to see him become the next Zach Wilson, Sam Darnell, Baker Mayfield Version 1, and on and on.

I’d love to see actual % of QB’s taken high in rd 1 that had even a decent career
Someone asked how much of a historical diff. there was between a 2 pick vs a 3. I looked into it back to 2013 and was surprised to see how many non QB busts there were.

Someone asked how much of a historical diff. there was between a 2 pick vs a 3. I looked into it back to 2013 and was surprised to see how many non QB busts there were.
SO many busts…what was that abysmal linebacker’s name who looked like Tarzan but played like Jane for the Jets years ago? Ohio State guy if I recall.

Lol, no. You don't need a QB1, LT , WR1 and TE1 every year.
I'd expect it's a modern offense using RPO, motions, shifts, down field passing.. sort of like a circa 2024 NFL offense.
??? This is nowhere near decided.

I suspect that the OC and hopefully Asst to the HC might have some influence. also the QB's on staff after the draft.
============
Last year, an OC was brought in to TB. He worked with Mayfield. He did NOT have a type of Offense in mind. He spent time understand the strengths and weaknesses of Mayfield. He then built an Offense around Mayfield. With any other QB, this particular OC would have had a different Offense.

So, a young new OC developed an Offense specifically for his QB. The result was that TB won the division and the one-year OC was a hired as a HC to develop an offense around Bryce.
=================
No, we shouldn't look for a QB that is perfect for our system, or an OC who has a perfect system. This OC had it right. Work with what you have and get the most out of your QB.

If they keep Onwenu. it needs to be to put him at RG. He was a JAG at RT regardless of what PFF says.. They missed so much in terms of missed blocks for him it's ridiculous. Watch both Bills games, the 2nd Jets game and the Giants game..

And don't forget that I'm a HUGE Onwenu fan. I have been since the Pats got him.. So please bear that in mind.
I'm with you. But, we will still need a starting LT, RT, and a swing OT. I fear that we also need a LG, although we are probably Ok with Mafi and Sow.
=========

Producer for the Felger & Mazz show. He has sources. If that’s actually the case it makes me feel marginally better. If really he considered taking the job it would suggest that the OC role here isn’t universally viewed as something no one wants to touch.

Small solace seeing as we didn’t get him but maybe it’s not as bad as being reported by some.
We could do a lot worse than Klint Kubiak,
The other offensive coaches are just as important.
Maybe they wouldn’t announce anything til after the Super Bowl.
And now you have Washington and Seattle diving in the OC pool.

Another team trying to trade up for a QB is Denver.
If we trade down we better get a haul for it.
Aren’t free agent WRs going to want to know who is going to throw them the ball here?
and how will they know when they agree to a contract in late March?

I really can't understand what you're saying. With Mac at QB the design of the offense does not matter. Not one bit. The QB is the most important position. You could put him in the offense the NFL will be playing 1,000 years from now, and it wouldn't matter.
I think Mac with a better supporting cast could have some success.

What sources? Felger frequents touts this in order to enhance their show but “Jimmy Stewart’s phone” has been wrong far more often than it has been right. The guy’s main expertise, other than being aesthetically unpleasing, is professional wresting (ie. he’s an adult child).
Most of us could have fabricated a similar tweet based upon information publicly provided by reliable sources, mixed with some common sense assumptions.

??? This is nowhere near decided.

I suspect that the OC and hopefully Asst to the HC might have some influence. also the QB's on staff after the draft.
============
Last year, an OC was brought in to TB. He worked with Mayfield. He did NOT have a type of Offense in mind. He spent time understand the strengths and weaknesses of Mayfield. He then built an Offense around Mayfield. With any other QB, this particular OC would have had a different Offense.

So, a young new OC developed an Offense specifically for his QB. The result was that TB won the division and the one-year OC was a hired as a HC to develop an offense around Bryce.
=================
No, we shouldn't look for a QB that is perfect for our system, or an OC who has a perfect system. This OC had it right. Work with what you have and get the most out of your QB.

This is exactly what happened in Detroit with Ben Johnson and Jared Goff.

In a three-day offseason mind meld last offseason, Goff and Johnson spent the first two days going over aspects of the Rams offense that Goff liked and concepts that Johnson didn’t fully understand. But the third day was spent on true evolution, on what Johnson’s career had taught him—not just new wrinkles, but different systems, different teaching paradigms, new ideas grafted onto existing philosophies. The first two days were spent on the Rams offenses of the past; the third day was spent on starting to design the Lions offense of the future
How Ben Johnson Fixed Jared Goff and Became the Next Big Thing in NFL Coaching

That is why my preference for OC is Tanner Engstrand. He was a part of that process and the development of the Lions scheme. I would hope he could do the same here with whatever QB we go into the season with.

[

He accounted for 3200ish yards in 13 games, avg 250ish per game....20 TDs/ 9 Turnovers

That is combined passing and rushing.

No thanks, spend the picks else where.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe